The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where Will Cory Go

Southpop45

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Things happen for a reason. Luongo's ZERO rebound controls in most games he played have the Canucks Ds chasing the puck and taking hits after each shot or simple dump-in. All teams playing Luongo have been throwing pucks on net from everywhere, a simple and easy way to get into the Canucks zone and the Canucks are in chaos with his big rebounds. And his big juicy, fat rebounds always turn 1 shot into 2 or 3 more shots if not goals.

Take a look at it this way.

Brodeur has won a cup, Luongo hasn't. They're both good goalies, but they're past their prime. Yes, Luongo has been in the NHL for a long while now, and there are many young goaltenders these days developing fast, for eg; Quick, Andre Fleury, Crawford, etc etc. It's most likely that groin injury Luongo has had in the past that affects him, and i notice that his skating is his weakness. He isn't able to get across to make saves, he isn't able to slide across properly to stop players when they deke, so he belly flops as ppl say.

Roberto may hate it, but his time is coming to an end, or at least, he may want to be an Ohlund and finish off his career helping other young goaltenders learn the game. Yes, there's an argument that why would people learn from him if he hasn't won the cup. But he did get that close to it.

As you can tell, Brodeur was my idol growing up, but he is not the same. The players are much better nowadays.

If you had to compare Luongo to the other great goaltenders in the recent past, like Brodeur, Patrick Roy, Hasek, it's tough to put Luongo on there for me. I loved Ohlund and hated when he left, but i think the same might be the solution for Lu. We need a goaltender who is confident. Someone who comes in to play the game with that confidence and put that confidence in his teammates. Someone who doesn't give you the feeling everytime there is a breakaway, that oh great, they're gonna score, and you feel like you're about to close your eyes just as the opponent drives in on Lu.

Lu isn't our own prospect, and was brought here to fix our goaltending situation a long time ago. He deserves enough respect for helping this organization so much at least. Schneider is our own prospect. He's done enough to warrant that # 1 spot. Considering how bad our goaltending history has been, having Schneider in net as a starter will still be much better than what we had. He's got that AHL award, and if Lu lets go of his NTC for the better of the team and his family, we might be able to get a decent return for him.

Where will Schneider be? If the right offer comes, i'd say NewYorkIslanders or he stays. NYI have some decent young offensive players, and their defence is not too great, but having a great goaltender might balance it out for them, if we're able to get a young defenseman from them. I believe they have someone, i forget, if anyone remembers? And we will need defenseman, the way we are playing defense right now. Salo might retire, and maybe Connauton might get a tryout next year. I'm not a fan of Bieksa's play. He's a character guy, but... well. yeah. It's because of Hamhuis that he is playing on the top pairing. otherwise he was a 3rd pairing most of his career playing with us. We need a good shutdown Dman if we're letting go of Schneider to be able to help Lu if that's the case and develop Lack.

Lu deserves another chance, it's not entirely his fault this playoffs. The team could have done much better. Maybe there are personal conflict of interest in the locker room between certain players, who knows. Whatever it is, we'll have to wait and see.

Good luck team, btw, met Daniel at the airport while i was working. Was stunned when i turned and looked at him and found out he was heading to LA yesterday.

I agree that today's game will define which goalie we're keeping for the next season. I'm a huge fan of Luongo, but seeing Schneider as a starter in Vancouver is really tempting, he deserves a chance. I'm fine with both options, and I'm glad that we have the opportunity to make the choice, some teams are desperate for one single good goaltender.

From what you have posted,

Tampa) Hedman is untouchable, he is their future franchise d-man and they won't give up on him this early with his size and skill set. Also no way Canucks would get Malone, the guy isn't that good anymore and he's older.

Toronto) If he wen't to Toronto, I wouldn't want to see Schenn coming back. If anything I personally would like to see the 1st rounder and Reimer and possible Kadri (Canucks could throw in something going back). I think if Reimer had a full time goaltending coach that was quality he could get his game back to what it was in the fall when the season started and in a year or 2 when his contract is still RFA status and he has regained his composure, they flip him to another team when Eddie Lack is ready for NHL full time.

Islanders) I have no idea with those guys to be honest of what they would be willing to give up youth wise, especially since they resigned (or talking) to Nabakov about an extension.

Columbus) 2nd overall pick would probably do it if Columbus was willing to part with it. Outside of that, Ryan Johansen is the only prospect I know worth while there.

Edmonton) Dubnyk is their goalie as you stated, I highly doubt they want Schneider. They have to fix their defense first.

NJ) Maybe the Canucks could do a sign and trade with New Jersey and get Parise back, dump off the likes of Raymond or Ballard or something to make the cap room? Larsson is untoucable there so no chance of getting him as Brodeur is about ready to retire and they need a new goalie soon.

I hate to be callous and superficial, but to Aquilini and even some extent MG..Hockey is a business, you win - you generate fans - you generate money - but to win you need to put in money....rinse and repeat. But more importantly any business man knows you never fall in love with your business. Because when you are in love you fail to see the flaws, the weaknesses, and the often unsuspecting problems (as many people themselves can attest too)

Unfortunately, I am not sure whole business management side have the same 'soft spot' or 'fan loyalty' to the employees that make up the business product (namely players & the team). Every team member is expendable to them to some degree (see Oilers - Gretzky, Canucks - Linden) Granted that keeping fans happy is conducive to the business, considering the sell out streak, fan base - I am not sure how concerned they are about 'hurting' people's feeling. The truth is.. for everyone Luongo die-hard fan, there is another Luongo-hater prepared to fill his seat.

Moral of my story is...speculation and preferences a side on who we'd like to stay, or who would we want to ship out - The best business deal will try to be reached. My thoughts on this, if they can, they would preferably move Luongo....

You need to add Vancouver to the poll.

Moving Cory will not work in the money ball formula that MG claims he uses. Trading the younger cheaper and better goalie (also the fans golden boy) in place of Lou a goalie that often struggles to find his game and play consistent night in and night out would not be smart.

Add in the fact that most of the city has turned on him in such a was that he is being critiqued and called out in the media for even the smallest of errors makes even the biggest Lou fans hope he can go to a happier place:)

MG would not be so stupid as to move Cory with all that is going on (Lou may be run out of town even if we trade Cory). Well he did move cody our 3rd highest scorer at the deadline for a 4th line player so?

What a stupid assumption. Luongo the wounded seal will be traded. If Schneider starts tonight, it will be a huge sign that luongo will be the odd man out for next year.

Why would keep an aging goalie with a horrible contract??? The better goalie is Schneider by a country mile. If I'm the owner, I talk to MG and demand that he not screw this up like he did the Hodgson deal.

How can he prove us wrong?? How many playoff games has he won? How many cups? How many times has he been pulled?

You sign Schneider long term. Force his hand. Luongo won't stay if this happens. He will demand a trade. Back to the state of Florida, where his mediocrity will go unnoticed.

Archived