73 replies to this topic

#31 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,282 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

The disillusionment stems from a team that's perplexing. Are we sure of anything with this team now? Is Luongo the go to guy?
He's played well, but the team in front hasn't. What's with Alex Edler? Here was a rock solid d-man and he's acting like a nervous rookie? Why has beast mode-Kesler turned into chirp-mode Kesler? Why is Hasen, Higgins, and Hamhuis the only skaters who seem to show up night after night? I thought Booth was a goal-scoring power forward type? Yet Samuelsson has 1 point more in the regular season, a better +/- and has 4 points in 3 playoff games to Booths 0, and Booth is 8 years younger???

How does a president's trophy winning team falter so quickly in the playoffs. Is it fatigue from playing too much hockey over a few seasons? Bad line combos? Bad tactics? Coaching? Trainers? Lack of team spirit?

So many questions. So few answers.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 18 April 2012 - 10:31 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#32 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

You can have your attitude towards the team and others can have theirs. What you need to try and do is not let someone else's view of the team and its player affect how you think. If you want to stand by every Canuck player through thick and thin, that is entirely your perogative.

Myself, for instance, am expecting results. I do not see this team as a Pee Wee hockey team that needs to be coddled. I feel that as much as Hockey is a game, it is also a business. And businesses are results driven.

Gillis has tried to transform this team into a perennial contender, and I think he has done that. The last 4 years have arguably been the the most consistent and exciting years this team has had (However I did enjoy the WCE era and the Bure era). Gillis has set the bar HIGH. We have some of the worlds best hockey players on our team, which alot of other teams are not very fortunate to have. With the last 4 years, Gillis has molded this team into one where a Stanley Cup is expected, not just hoped for.

And to me, when the bar has been risen so high and the team is touted so lofty, I expect the same. I don't want to waste my time and money watching average NHL players. I expect the best. Obviously I will not get the best players in the league playing on the same team, but I do expect certain things.

I expect the team to be managed properly.
I expect prospects to be developed properly.
I expect top name players on this team.
I expect the best complimentary players for those said top name players.
I expect the best goaltending.
I expect the best coach coaching the team.
I expect the team to be built in a way that is cohesive, and is built to run in a way that brings out the strengths of each and every player.
I expect the team to scout and draft properly.

Those expectations may seem selfish or out of reach. But I don't think they are. Given the financial backing of this team and the recent success it has had, with a GM who I hope is actively trying to make this team the best he can, I feel these expectations are warranted.

Gillis and the direction the team has taken in the last 5 years have instilled these expectations in me.

In my mind, the Vancouver Canucks are the best. And I expect the best out of them each and every year. And if things happen that I (along with many others) feel go against those expectations, I feel that they are teasing me, or showing me that they dont care (And that starts from Management down to the coach down to the players). So yes, I get a little angry and frustrated with them.

People are not right 100% of the time, that applies to myself and it also applies to the brains running this team. Which then leaves us to argue over it on CDC!

#33 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

I think I know what's wrong with you, but first I need to know how long you have been a Canucks fan? haha. If you are a newer Fan, then, perhaps you have not been disappointed as often as us long time fans. But it is worse this year than it ever has for us Canuck fans. I can't speak for every one, but as for myself last year was a Huge disappointment. I had lost my father to cancer and watching and talking...basically bonding over Canuck hockey is one of those things you'll remember for the rest of your life. I was hoping the Canucks would win it all for my father last year, but that did not happen. And now it comes down to this year...we basically have the same team as last year with a few new people in the line-up..and you got to thinking...hey...maybe this year is the year. Well...we're down 3-0 and the fans are probably more frustrated than the players are, cuz we also know that this series could have gone the other way and the fans expect no less than perfection.
Well..the point is, that it's not about missing that key element to bring us over the top any more. I believe that this core group has been together long enough...and has not given the fans the results they want. The team has reached it's limit, So now things have got to change...in fact...with the huge disappointment of last year, I would go so far and say that this teams needs a rebuild as the excitement just isn't there for this team anymore. The fans just have had enough disappointment. We spent too much money on this team as it is. Being the presidents trophy winner twice in a row and producing a selke winner and art ross winner and coach of the year..just isn't good enough anymore. WE WANT THE CUP!!! nothing else will do.
So now, hopefully you will understand why most fans are not supporting the team right now. Next year, I'm sure they will be back, unless the team stays the same..then....who knows.

Another good post and I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure if you were like me and my father, sport and your team probably formed a big part of your bond.

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I knew nothing about NHL GL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago. I was unattached to any team when I first started watching although I could easily have gone for the Philadelphia Flyers as my home team which I supported in my youth and for 20 years was the Fife Flyers.

However I chose the Canucks because I loved the way they played the game. I loved the artistry of the Sedins and the never say die attitude of players like Burrows and Kesler. Latterly I loved how they gave back to the Community.

I have been a football (soccer) fan from as far back as I can remember and have supported 2 teams in that time. One because they were my local team and I liked how they played the game the other was based in the City where I worked as an Architect. Neither of these teams was Celtic or Rangers (I'm no band wagoner) and my local team have been successful AND plumbed the bottom of Scottish football in my time.

However here is my point. I supported my team for 45 years and never singled a player out for abuse, even in the latter days when they had a web forum like this one. I am a great believer that no player goes onto a field or ice arena intending not to give 100%

Our hockey team the Fife Flyers won everything in UK ice hockey but this year finished bottom of the Elite League in their first season. I never saw one post on their forum slating any of their players like they do on here.

You all say you have gone through the bad times, well surely that is even more reason to appreciate this team and to show some faith. It hasn't worked this season but as I say it won't have been for lack of effort........that is my opinion and I know some don't agree.

I look at a team that knew they had slipped up in game one but surely most of you can see how hard they have tried to make it right in games 2 and 3. I have.

You never know what you've had until you lose it. Get behind this team and try to cut the players and the Coach a break.

To people like JLumme, I am sorry if that is how you see loyalty and appreciation. I'm afraid your comment says more about you than me. Get back to hiding in the "crowd" that gives nothing but always wants to take everything. You're another loser who would never fit into any team.

Edited by Bodee, 18 April 2012 - 11:09 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#34 lexluthor

lexluthor

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

Elaine says "Yada yada yada..." to you.

Bertuzzi says "It is what it is" to you.

#35 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

You can have your attitude towards the team and others can have theirs. What you need to try and do is not let someone else's view of the team and its player affect how you think. If you want to stand by every Canuck player through thick and thin, that is entirely your perogative.

Myself, for instance, am expecting results. I do not see this team as a Pee Wee hockey team that needs to be coddled. I feel that as much as Hockey is a game, it is also a business. And businesses are results driven.

Gillis has tried to transform this team into a perennial contender, and I think he has done that. The last 4 years have arguably been the the most consistent and exciting years this team has had (However I did enjoy the WCE era and the Bure era). Gillis has set the bar HIGH. We have some of the worlds best hockey players on our team, which alot of other teams are not very fortunate to have. With the last 4 years, Gillis has molded this team into one where a Stanley Cup is expected, not just hoped for.

And to me, when the bar has been risen so high and the team is touted so lofty, I expect the same. I don't want to waste my time and money watching average NHL players. I expect the best. Obviously I will not get the best players in the league playing on the same team, but I do expect certain things.

I expect the team to be managed properly.
I expect prospects to be developed properly.
I expect top name players on this team.
I expect the best complimentary players for those said top name players.
I expect the best goaltending.
I expect the best coach coaching the team.
I expect the team to be built in a way that is cohesive, and is built to run in a way that brings out the strengths of each and every player.
I expect the team to scout and draft properly.

Those expectations may seem selfish or out of reach. But I don't think they are. Given the financial backing of this team and the recent success it has had, with a GM who I hope is actively trying to make this team the best he can, I feel these expectations are warranted.

Gillis and the direction the team has taken in the last 5 years have instilled these expectations in me.

In my mind, the Vancouver Canucks are the best. And I expect the best out of them each and every year. And if things happen that I (along with many others) feel go against those expectations, I feel that they are teasing me, or showing me that they dont care (And that starts from Management down to the coach down to the players). So yes, I get a little angry and frustrated with them.

People are not right 100% of the time, that applies to myself and it also applies to the brains running this team. Which then leaves us to argue over it on CDC!

Good post. I plussed you for it.

My only feeling about it, is it lacks any kind of romance, which rightly or wrongly goes hand in hand with any sport for me.

You see it as a business, fair enough but would you accept the same backlash of ferocity and lynch mob reaction in any other business? What you seem to be saying is there is no room for failure..........if that's the case I don't think you really understand sport.
Failure works two ways, failure for one is success for the opposition, that is what I mean by romance.

Do you think for one moment that while the Canucks are advancing, everyone else is standing still. That's not how sport works.

If the Canucks had beaten Boston in game 7 it would have been a case of an injured team overcoming, the bully, all the odds of injury, perceived bias and media favouritism. That is what the romance of sport is about, unfortunately there is also Lady Luck, Fate, call it what you will and if she doesn't shine on you it matters little who is in your team, how much money has been spent on it or how well it is "loyally" supported...........she doesn't recognise the superior coach OR the business model.

That is why favourites are beaten every day.

No doubt I am a lot older than you and have seen these things occur more often and that is why I have said many a time on here providing a player is giving 100% for the team I don't see the 'knifing," insulting, and slaughtering them on a forum as anything other than cheap, classless and immature.

I realise for many it is letting off steam but I get back to an earlier thread I posted, there is a big difference between letting off steam and slandering your own players.
Kevin.jpg

#36 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Elaine says "Yada yada yada..." to you. Bertuzzi says "It is what it is" to you.

Hope your not too far down the queue for your brain cell transplant. I understand CDC is monopolising it just now. If it's any comfort to you I think you deserve preferential treatment.
Kevin.jpg

#37 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Just one loss then we're home as well.

Well then..

Just one win then we're home to play on the ice.
Just one loss then we're home to play on the grass.
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

#38 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

you have shown time and time again that you lack any real knowledge of the game.

that and you thinking raymond is a key piece to our team is what is wrong with you.

MG and AV say hi! :emot-parrot:

PS I followed hockey for 20 years I think I probably know more than you. Prove me wrong and write something we can all stand back and applaud instead of your usual one line insults. Surely that's not beyond the bounds of your hockey smarts. :frantic:

Edited by Bodee, 18 April 2012 - 11:52 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#39 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

There are 30 teams in this league. It is very hard to win the cup. Expectations are that we are a good team and we should be in the final year after year. This is just unrealistic. Detroit, the most consistent team over the last 20 years has been bounced out of the first round on a couple of occasions. Lots of good teams get burnt out or end up with lots of injuries at play-off time, and don't advance very far.

Edited by puck n icehole, 18 April 2012 - 11:58 AM.

Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#40 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

So should I really be surprised that a large section of CDC have turned out to have little or no class, have turned on this team so easily, have found reverse gear and fled the scene? It seems that the team we idolised and thought the world of a month ago is crap now, wholesale changes need to be made, players who decorate our bedroom walls are failures and only fit to be trade bait.

Ive never felt this way.

I love the team and will continue to support them no matter what happens tonight, but I am realistic and will always be blunt in my criticism.

I never have any delusions that the team is righteous and invincible. Theyve been performing well below expectations for months now.

If you dont approve of my disappointment, then I have no idea how to expect me to feel.

#41 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL GL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago. I was unattached to any team when I first started watching although I could easily have gone for the Philadelphia Flyers as my home team which I supported in my youth and for 20 years was the Fife Flyers.

ahhhhh ....no wonder you think Raymond is one of our best, you just started watching the game.
makes perfect sense now.
after a couple decades of studying the game and seeing how playoffs turn savage year you will realize guys like Raymond just can't handle the warfare in spring.

for now i will refrain from engaging you until you learn more about the game.

raymond will be gone, no way they resign him unless its a two way deal for the league minimum.

Edited by D.J Ball, 18 April 2012 - 12:15 PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#42 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

For the most part this team looks lost, except for Game 3. They looked strong and would have beaten Quick, if Edler had managed his position.

Now I wanted Edler's head after the game, but then I realized something. The Canucks don't owe me anything. I'm not a season ticket holder. I am a fan and I have chosen to follow this team for a reason. These people aren't perfect and will falter. This team is a great team that will only get better

They owe it to themselves to win. Which they can. If there is one team playing right now that can do it, it's the Vancouver Canucks. I want them to win.

If there is to be some blame on levied at a later date, Alain Vigneault may find a glut of it at his doorstep. Just saying.
Posted Image

#43 dadsbaggedinbaghdad

dadsbaggedinbaghdad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

brain dead one liner :wacko:

Good one. Those are the kinds of comments that have given this city (and its fans) such a bad rep.

This is a good post. I've been feeling the same way. But I found a bit of hope somehow this morning. Even though everyone I talked to this morning seems to have no faith left in the team whatsoever. People in Starbucks, coworkers, you name it. One win and we're back home. Lou or Cory, I don't care. Just one win to build that hope up a bit more. I wonder what would have happened to Apple if Steve Jobs would have just "quit" and given up after the first mac back in 84 flopped.
Posted Image

#44 jjavaman

jjavaman

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

MG and AV say hi! :emot-parrot:

PS I followed hockey for 20 years I think I probably know more than you. Prove me wrong and write something we can all stand back and applaud instead of your usual one line insults. Surely that's not beyond the bounds of your hockey smarts. :frantic:

You have posters of hockey players on your bedroom walls AND have watched hockey for over 45 years?
WTF????

#45 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

In the future grown men making threads titled "What's wrong with me ? at 3:05 AM should be referred to mindchek.ca

People that tie their own self worth to a team they cheer for are only asking for trouble.

Win or lose tonight we have a great organization and a beautiful city and i trust MG will make the appropriate decisions in the off season on a partial rebuild.

Edited by D.J Ball, 26 June 2012 - 06:34 PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#46 jjavaman

jjavaman

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

In the future grown men(with hockey player posters on his bedroom walls) making threads titled "What's wrong with me ? at 3:05 AM should be referred to mindchek.ca

People that tie their own self worth to a team they cheer for is only asking for trouble.

Win or lose tonight we have a great organization and a beautiful city and i trust MG will make the appropriate decisions in the off season on a partial rebuild.

Had to edit that last post a bit:)

#47 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Those of us that have been around for the entire body of work from the franchise realise it is not us.

Bodee,you need help.

It's hockey.Vancouver Canucks hockey.

#48 sedinaliens2233

sedinaliens2233

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

What's wrong with you? Easy, you are a sniveling, whiny, cry baby. Get a life.

#49 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Bodee spends most his time on this forum telling us over and over that Raymond is one of our best players.

That Kopitar goal , last straw.

Bye Bye Raymond.

Don't let the door hit Bodee and you on the way out.

#50 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Screen Shot 2012-04-19 at 4.42.24 PM.png

Cheer up Uncle Raymond.

#51 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Bodee,

Tell you what's wrong with you since you asked all us on CDC. You missed your psych appointment. But that's too easy an understandable answer for a normal Nucks fan. So I'll give you the answer you crave to hear. Yes, its all of us that are confused and wrong. You're right and have obtained a higher comprehension of the Canucks situation than all of us... Now you can put your tinfoil hat back on Bodee...

Cheers, 

Canucks fan in SoCal

#52 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

In the future grown men making threads titled "What's wrong with me ? at 3:05 AM should be referred to mindchek.ca

People that tie their own self worth to a team they cheer for is only asking for trouble.

....Just so you don't get too carried away with your 1st sentence.At 3.05AM for you it's 11.05AM for Bodee.Try absorbing what you read he is in Scotland as is obvious IF you read and comprehend what he wrote.jmo!!!!

#53 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

meh

why not make a thread on deciding who "real fans" are... thats a new one

:rolleyes:
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#54 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Bodee,I apologise.
You are a devoted hockey and Canucks fan and that is why everybody here is with you,whether they admit to it or not.
However,over forty years without a championship and with a run to the finals last year has left a lot of Canucks supporters on edge and without patience.
That could be seen in game 3 before Schneids bailed the team out and gave the team time to get into the game.
The same can be seen with the fans here-not really into it when losing but with enough hockey sense to know the team could win it all.
It is just a sign of the times.Lots of fans on this forum are young and like to slag one another or players or the team or whatever they can.It is their sport and release.
When the Nucks are losing they are the biggest critics,when the team wins they are the biggest fist pumpers.
After watching Canucks hockey since inception I just watch the games to hopefully witness effort and class and excellent skills displayed.
This team is so skilled and talented I just enjoy being able to watch them display their skill sets and ply their gift of top professional play.
In many ways that is why I was sad to see CoHo leave as he possessed a great shot and on ice vision.
Taking winning too seriously after 42 seasons is not advised,nor is blind devotion to corporate entities.
Enjoy the game and the skill set of the players and ignore the noise.
Enjoy all the teams,players and play in every league and at every level of play. I do.
It is all hockey and the game is great. Enjoy.

Edited by nuck nit, 19 April 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#55 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

I suggest you read this. Its just a little psychology behind the common sports fan. We identify with the team as though it is actually us which is why we feel so elated after a win or vice versa.

The Psychology of Sports Fans

Are you a fair weather fan?
Published on December 30, 2011 by Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D. in Fulfillment at Any Age

Ardent sports fans will hold onto the passion for their team no matter what. However, even the truest of the true fans may find that their faith is tested when things aren't going well for their beloved team. Social psychologists have identified two patterns of reactions that sports fans have to their team's performance. Here, we'll explore them as well as several related psychological concepts that apply to the behavior of fans, true and fickle.
First, let's look at "BIRGing." This term is not a typo of an eating disorder, but applies to the phenomenon called "Basking in Reflected Glory." When your team is doing well, you feel great. Research shows that on the day after a team's win, people feel better about themselves. They say "we" won, and by "we," they don't mean themselves, personally. The closer you identify with the team, the more likely you are to BIRG. People who BIRG also are more likely to wear their team's regalia on the day after a victory.
In contrast, "CORFing" means that you "Cut Off Reflected Failure." Your team was trounced and now you want to distance yourself from them and their disgrace as much as possible. It's not "we," who lost, it's "they." The last thing a CORFer wants to wear on the day following the team's loss are hats or shirts with the team's logo. This is the test of the true vs. fickle fan. It's the CORFers who are the fickle fans. Their identification with them rises and falls with the box scores. True fans, in contrast, will don jerseys, hats, and almost any item with the team logo no matter how poorly their team performs. True fans may feel dejected, but their heroes remain their heroes, even if somewhat tarnished by defeat.
These two aspects of the psychology of sports fans are great for understanding how fans, true and fickle, behave after victory and loss, but other concepts help explain why fans do what they do during games. Fans who actually attend games regularly display the social psychological phenomenon of disinhibition. They shout, yell, stand up, cheer, and high five strangers all around them. Even people who are ordinarily reserved and shy will explode in bursts of exhibitionism when surrounded by other people engaging in the same unrestrained excitement. Unfortunately, at times their disinhibition can create havoc as rowdy fans spill out onto the streets after a victory (or defeat) until subdued by local authorities. Needless to say, alcohol helps foster the disinhibition effect. You don't even have to attend the game to show the disinhibition effect. Sports bars provide a fine venue for the group mentality to take over and for alcohol to nurture the process.
Whether you attend the game, watch or listen to it, or follow the scores on line, you may also be subject to the effect known as superstitious conditioning. Skinner discovered this effect when he was training the pigeons in his Skinner box to perform their various feats including, appropriately, "Take Me Out to the bal Game" on a xylophone. When Skinner trained his pigeons through operant conditioning, he noticed that they would start to perform behaviors that he was not reinforcing but that the pigeons seemed to "think" they needed to perform in order to get their pellet rewards. For example, Skinner may have been training the pigeons to discriminate between a + and a - displayed above the lever they needed to peck at. However, the pigeons sometimes added their own unnecessary move, such as turning in a circle, before pecking at the right target. That little dance, superstitiously reinforced (because it wasn't necessary to receive the reward), then became part of the pigeon's ritual.
What do pigeons pecking at a lever have to do with sports fans? Maybe you already see the connection. Sports fans will claim that by turning on the game and watching it, they caused the team to start scoring and eventually winning the game. Others will claim the opposite, avoiding any real-time action because they can "cause" the team to lose just by turning in. Then there are the lucky jerseys, hats, sneakers, t-shirts, etc., etc., that sports fans will wear (or not) to help their teams win. Wearing a hat facing forward? Turn it backward and maybe the team will score. If they do, you'll never wear that hat with the brim facing forward ever again during a game.
The ingroup-outgroup bias is yet another tried and true social psychological phenomenon. The fans of one team, the "in-group" will deprecate the fans of the other team, the "outgroup." There typically is very little, if anything, that distinguishes these two groups of fans. They are passionate about their teams, know every detail about the players, and religiously follow the progress of their hometown heroes. The only factor that differentiates these groups is the team they root for. Yet, people create arbitrary distinctions between the teams (and fans) they love and those they hate. It's doubtful that knowledge of this social psychological principle will lead to fans of the Patriots to reach out and hug fans of the Jets, but theoretically they should recognize that they are more alike than they are different.
Athletes themselves are subject to a host of other social psychological phenomena. Debates wage in the literature about whether a team is advantaged or not by playing a clutch game at home. The "home team advantage," which most people believe in, refers to the slight edge that the home team has due to the familiarity they have with the field, the preponderance of enthusiastic (i.e. disinhibited) fans in the stands, and the fact that they don't have to travel. Conversely, Florida State psychologist Roy Baumeister supports the "home chocke hypothesis" which predicts that home teams are more likely to lose in the final playoff games of a series because their self-consciousness is pathologically increased and they can't focus on the game. Instead, they focus on how the fans are feeling or perhaps on how much they'll enjoy the celebration when they win. In either case, the statistical and theoretical battle will no doubt continue. The possibility that playing a home game isn't all that advantageous is nevertheless an interesting one.
The psychology of sports fans has, as I hope you'll agree, a number of fascinating angles. Now go an enjoy the games you will watch or attend, and keep your eyes out for those fickle fans!
Follow me on Twitter @swhitbo for daily updates on psychology, health, and aging.
Feel free to join my Facebook group, "Fulfillment at Any Age," to discuss today's blog, or to ask further questions about this posting.
Please check out my website,www.searchforfulfillment.com where you can get additional information on personality, self-tests, and psychology-related links.
Copyright 2011 Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D.
http://www.psycholog...ogy-sports-fans

Posted Image

#56 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

I haven't felt connected with this team at all this year.

This is the first time in my history as a Canucks fan that I was skipping games during the regular season. I guess it has to do with the team hardly (twice) showing up for 60 minutes. When they return to showing an effort night in and night out I suppose I'll be back to being a rabid vocal fan.

Until then I'm just indifferent. If they do not care why should I?

cool how your dedication to the team just ebbs and flows with their rate of success :picard: . thank god you're not a columbus or edmonton fan or you wouldn't even know the names of the players on your top line anymore.

part of being a fan is showing LOYALTY -- sticking with them in times good and bad. I'm not saying you have to praise them at every turn, its fine to be critical, but to change your level of fandom according to their success/failure level is just not something a true supporter does IMO.

#57 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

I suggest you read this. Its just a little psychology behind the common sports fan. We identify with the team as though it is actually us which is why we feel so elated after a win or vice versa.

Great post! I always wondered why I was like that! lol

But, seriously! I sure am glad I have a short memory and I am not a Oiler, jacket, or laughs fan! No seriously, I have a buddy who is a laughs fan.....he never laughs! LOL No seriously! Never!

#58 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Thinking about this a little more seriously, I must admit that having followed the Canucks since their inception, I must admit that they have made me dream of greatness, and wallow in defeat. I watched their first draft where we thought we had won the right to pick first only to have Punch Imlach? point out that it was really Buffalo's first pick, right from the start highs and lows, we complained that they were wrong and called BS and cried, then said hey we got Dale Tallon. Later on we watched Harold Snepts go end to end...oh my god! Then to see Harold in a fight and the fans Called out "Harold"! "Harold"!, "Harold"! Then we stold Pavel Bure in the 6th round, and oh my god, the league had to investigate....who was that Pavel Bure guy, anyways? Only to watch several years later and almost fall out of my chair as he rushed up the ice and scored..........man! Fantastic

I watched as Lars Lingren shoot the puck into our own net against the Oilers, and I cried. I was upset that Lanny McDonald was mad at Tiger Williams for playing like tiger. I hated Mark Messier and never forgave him for cross checking Trevoer Linden while down on the ice, and still remember Jim Robsons imortal works stating that Trevor was hurt, but he'd be back, He'd be back!

I applauded Todd Bertuzzi for his loyalty to his team mate, and stood behind him when he was so wrongfully accused, I have applauded Lui for his incredible saves and I have swore at him for letting in the soft one. I have ridden every up and down our team has ever had. And I am just like every other true blue fan. I have swore I would never watch another game, only to be sitting in front of the tube the next night! They are my " Vancouver Canucks" and they play for me! They are also your Vancouver Canucks!

And that is why we have the right to curse, swear, cheer, clap, pray and hope. That is why I have the right to dream, and enter 10,000 Cory Schneider posts. I am a fan......short for FANATIC........

Thank you very much! :towel:

Edited by zcaptain, 19 April 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#59 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Meh. No win, no thread.

Insufferable 'ultrafans' are almost as annoying as turncoat, 'told ya so' crybabies. But i don't blame anyone for keeping the faith. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#60 zamboni

zamboni

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

I'll tell you whats wrong with you, You need to join the armed forces, go to Afghanistan and come back as a man. Fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.