The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Wrong With Me?

Bodee

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL GL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago. I was unattached to any team when I first started watching although I could easily have gone for the Philadelphia Flyers as my home team which I supported in my youth and for 20 years was the Fife Flyers.

For the most part this team looks lost, except for Game 3. They looked strong and would have beaten Quick, if Edler had managed his position.

Now I wanted Edler's head after the game, but then I realized something. The Canucks don't owe me anything. I'm not a season ticket holder. I am a fan and I have chosen to follow this team for a reason. These people aren't perfect and will falter. This team is a great team that will only get better

They owe it to themselves to win. Which they can. If there is one team playing right now that can do it, it's the Vancouver Canucks. I want them to win.

If there is to be some blame on levied at a later date, Alain Vigneault may find a glut of it at his doorstep. Just saying.

MG and AV say hi! :emot-parrot:

PS I followed hockey for 20 years I think I probably know more than you. Prove me wrong and write something we can all stand back and applaud instead of your usual one line insults. Surely that's not beyond the bounds of your hockey smarts. :frantic:

In the future grown men making threads titled "What's wrong with me ? at 3:05 AM should be referred to mindchek.ca

People that tie their own self worth to a team they cheer for are only asking for trouble.

Win or lose tonight we have a great organization and a beautiful city and i trust MG will make the appropriate decisions in the off season on a partial rebuild.

In the future grown men(with hockey player posters on his bedroom walls) making threads titled "What's wrong with me ? at 3:05 AM should be referred to mindchek.ca

People that tie their own self worth to a team they cheer for is only asking for trouble.

Win or lose tonight we have a great organization and a beautiful city and i trust MG will make the appropriate decisions in the off season on a partial rebuild.

Bodee,

Tell you what's wrong with you since you asked all us on CDC. You missed your psych appointment. But that's too easy an understandable answer for a normal Nucks fan. So I'll give you the answer you crave to hear. Yes, its all of us that are confused and wrong. You're right and have obtained a higher comprehension of the Canucks situation than all of us... Now you can put your tinfoil hat back on Bodee...

In the future grown men making threads titled "What's wrong with me ? at 3:05 AM should be referred to mindchek.ca

People that tie their own self worth to a team they cheer for is only asking for trouble.

Bodee,I apologise.

You are a devoted hockey and Canucks fan and that is why everybody here is with you,whether they admit to it or not.

However,over forty years without a championship and with a run to the finals last year has left a lot of Canucks supporters on edge and without patience.

That could be seen in game 3 before Schneids bailed the team out and gave the team time to get into the game.

The same can be seen with the fans here-not really into it when losing but with enough hockey sense to know the team could win it all.

It is just a sign of the times.Lots of fans on this forum are young and like to slag one another or players or the team or whatever they can.It is their sport and release.

When the Nucks are losing they are the biggest critics,when the team wins they are the biggest fist pumpers.

After watching Canucks hockey since inception I just watch the games to hopefully witness effort and class and excellent skills displayed.

This team is so skilled and talented I just enjoy being able to watch them display their skill sets and ply their gift of top professional play.

In many ways that is why I was sad to see CoHo leave as he possessed a great shot and on ice vision.

Taking winning too seriously after 42 seasons is not advised,nor is blind devotion to corporate entities.

Enjoy the game and the skill set of the players and ignore the noise.

Enjoy all the teams,players and play in every league and at every level of play. I do.

It is all hockey and the game is great. Enjoy.

I suggest you read this. Its just a little psychology behind the common sports fan. We identify with the team as though it is actually us which is why we feel so elated after a win or vice versa.

The Psychology of Sports Fans

Are you a fair weather fan?

Published on December 30, 2011 by Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D. in Fulfillment at Any Age

Ardent sports fans will hold onto the passion for their team no matter what. However, even the truest of the true fans may find that their faith is tested when things aren't going well for their beloved team. Social psychologists have identified two patterns of reactions that sports fans have to their team's performance. Here, we'll explore them as well as several related psychological concepts that apply to the behavior of fans, true and fickle.

First, let's look at "BIRGing." This term is not a typo of an eating disorder, but applies to the phenomenon called "Basking in Reflected Glory." When your team is doing well, you feel great. Research shows that on the day after a team's win, people feel better about themselves. They say "we" won, and by "we," they don't mean themselves, personally. The closer you identify with the team, the more likely you are to BIRG. People who BIRG also are more likely to wear their team's regalia on the day after a victory.

In contrast, "CORFing" means that you "Cut Off Reflected Failure." Your team was trounced and now you want to distance yourself from them and their disgrace as much as possible. It's not "we," who lost, it's "they." The last thing a CORFer wants to wear on the day following the team's loss are hats or shirts with the team's logo. This is the test of the true vs. fickle fan. It's the CORFers who are the fickle fans. Their identification with them rises and falls with the box scores. True fans, in contrast, will don jerseys, hats, and almost any item with the team logo no matter how poorly their team performs. True fans may feel dejected, but their heroes remain their heroes, even if somewhat tarnished by defeat.

These two aspects of the psychology of sports fans are great for understanding how fans, true and fickle, behave after victory and loss, but other concepts help explain why fans do what they do during games. Fans who actually attend games regularly display the social psychological phenomenon of disinhibition. They shout, yell, stand up, cheer, and high five strangers all around them. Even people who are ordinarily reserved and shy will explode in bursts of exhibitionism when surrounded by other people engaging in the same unrestrained excitement. Unfortunately, at times their disinhibition can create havoc as rowdy fans spill out onto the streets after a victory (or defeat) until subdued by local authorities. Needless to say, alcohol helps foster the disinhibition effect. You don't even have to attend the game to show the disinhibition effect. Sports bars provide a fine venue for the group mentality to take over and for alcohol to nurture the process.

Whether you attend the game, watch or listen to it, or follow the scores on line, you may also be subject to the effect known as superstitious conditioning. Skinner discovered this effect when he was training the pigeons in his Skinner box to perform their various feats including, appropriately, "Take Me Out to the bal Game" on a xylophone. When Skinner trained his pigeons through operant conditioning, he noticed that they would start to perform behaviors that he was not reinforcing but that the pigeons seemed to "think" they needed to perform in order to get their pellet rewards. For example, Skinner may have been training the pigeons to discriminate between a + and a - displayed above the lever they needed to peck at. However, the pigeons sometimes added their own unnecessary move, such as turning in a circle, before pecking at the right target. That little dance, superstitiously reinforced (because it wasn't necessary to receive the reward), then became part of the pigeon's ritual.

What do pigeons pecking at a lever have to do with sports fans? Maybe you already see the connection. Sports fans will claim that by turning on the game and watching it, they caused the team to start scoring and eventually winning the game. Others will claim the opposite, avoiding any real-time action because they can "cause" the team to lose just by turning in. Then there are the lucky jerseys, hats, sneakers, t-shirts, etc., etc., that sports fans will wear (or not) to help their teams win. Wearing a hat facing forward? Turn it backward and maybe the team will score. If they do, you'll never wear that hat with the brim facing forward ever again during a game.

The ingroup-outgroup bias is yet another tried and true social psychological phenomenon. The fans of one team, the "in-group" will deprecate the fans of the other team, the "outgroup." There typically is very little, if anything, that distinguishes these two groups of fans. They are passionate about their teams, know every detail about the players, and religiously follow the progress of their hometown heroes. The only factor that differentiates these groups is the team they root for. Yet, people create arbitrary distinctions between the teams (and fans) they love and those they hate. It's doubtful that knowledge of this social psychological principle will lead to fans of the Patriots to reach out and hug fans of the Jets, but theoretically they should recognize that they are more alike than they are different.

Athletes themselves are subject to a host of other social psychological phenomena. Debates wage in the literature about whether a team is advantaged or not by playing a clutch game at home. The "home team advantage," which most people believe in, refers to the slight edge that the home team has due to the familiarity they have with the field, the preponderance of enthusiastic (i.e. disinhibited) fans in the stands, and the fact that they don't have to travel. Conversely, Florida State psychologist Roy Baumeister supports the "home chocke hypothesis" which predicts that home teams are more likely to lose in the final playoff games of a series because their self-consciousness is pathologically increased and they can't focus on the game. Instead, they focus on how the fans are feeling or perhaps on how much they'll enjoy the celebration when they win. In either case, the statistical and theoretical battle will no doubt continue. The possibility that playing a home game isn't all that advantageous is nevertheless an interesting one.

The psychology of sports fans has, as I hope you'll agree, a number of fascinating angles. Now go an enjoy the games you will watch or attend, and keep your eyes out for those fickle fans!

Follow me on Twitter @swhitbo for daily updates on psychology, health, and aging.

Feel free to join my Facebook group, "Fulfillment at Any Age," to discuss today's blog, or to ask further questions about this posting.

Please check out my website,www.searchforfulfillment.com where you can get additional information on personality, self-tests, and psychology-related links.

Copyright 2011 Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201112/the-psychology-sports-fans

I haven't felt connected with this team at all this year.

This is the first time in my history as a Canucks fan that I was skipping games during the regular season. I guess it has to do with the team hardly (twice) showing up for 60 minutes. When they return to showing an effort night in and night out I suppose I'll be back to being a rabid vocal fan.

Until then I'm just indifferent. If they do not care why should I?

Archived