The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raffi Torres- Still Playing For Vancouver

jonnycanuck46

I'm stuck at a crossroads here. Hossa was a pretty clean and respectable player and so was Keith before his incident. Now, I have no control whether or not Hossa got hurt, but I'll say that (honesty) I'm not very sad about the hit. I do wish Hossa the best and hope he completely recovers as concussions are pretty terrible things (see Daniel, headaches, sadness..etc). Hossa didn't really deserve it, but by God, Keith does.

FINALLY A OP WHO ISN'T A HOMER. +1190289184908190789357891 to the OP. Respect! Torres obviously has an attachment to the team, as HE DID play for us. And so he didn't have a lineup at Keith, so he took Hossa. Who cares. Nobody deserves to be injured but if someone is going to be, why not take out the star player? Why did Keith take out Danny? HE'S OUR NUMBER 1... Why not Malhotra/anyone else? Common sense (which the OP has by the way, morons) people.

Others seem to think you are, and you referenced it as a fair punishment for the Daniel hit. Which it really, really isn't. I understand the logic of best player for best player but dragging another clean player into this mess the NHL has created just doesn't seem worth it.

OP, you'd be ok with a Kings player knocking out a Canuck player for the hit Bitz gave Clifford right?

I mean it's karma and well deserved, right?

Threads like these really showcase the low end of human intelligence.

Scott Stevens is in the Hockey Hall of Fame because of hits wayyyyy worse than this. With all the garbage being perpetrated in this league I can't understand why this hit is getting the most attention.

The league themselves stopped calling all those "blindside hit" penalties at the beginning of the year. They've let a ton of stuff slide backwards this year and we are seeing the results. Blaming Torres for playing on the edge seems a little "last year". Again, Raffi is touted as the most dangerous and dirty player in the league for what amounts to a devestating bodycheck.

Plenty of folks need to stop drinking the Spector Kool-ade and see this for what it is. Not the worst hit ever, not even in these playoffs, not by any stretch.

And as someone pointed out earlier, the Hawks ran the Yotes goalie. This is the least they could expect. The game hasn't come that far and it is going backwards. Hard to say who is to blame: the players, the refs, the coaches, the GMs, the bloodthirsty fans?

I like Hossa, but the Hawks can suck it. You play with fire, you get burned.

Yes, Torres plays for the Coyotes now, but you know he still hates Chicago. Remember last year?

While the play happened so fast that you know Torres wasn't thinking about Daniel when he destroyed Hossa, it is sweet in a frontier justice kind of way.

I for one don't really have a problem with the hit and I have no sympathy for Chicago. They made their own bed and they can lie in it. Keith targeted our star scorer with a premeditated, dirty, cheap-ass elbow. So, Hossa got destroyed because he had his head down. Boo freakin' Hoo!

I have way more of an issue with Weber on Zetterberg. Brown's hit, and to a certain extent Torres' hit, were hard, hard, cleanish bodychecks. There is plenty of garbage happening in these playoffs that should be addressed before bodychecking.

Hossa, being the gentleman and world class player that he is, definitely didn't deserve this.

However, the Hawks fanbase definitely deserves to have their best player be out for the rest of the series. When people say Canucks fans are the worst in the league, I naturally assume that they haven't met a large number of Hawks fans. I go to college in Illinois, and most of the people I've talked to here about hockey "started watching the playoffs the year the Hawks won the cup". These are the same people that know mostly nothing about hockey and, when they see me in my Nucks jersey, only know how to say something along the lines of "hurr de durr two Sedins no Cup Borrows pulls hair Luongo chokes herp durppp!!". During the regular season, no one wears jerseys, bars are only a 1/3 full on game days, even for rivalry games like against the Wings or Canucks. But come playoff time? Alas! Hawks jerseys everywhere! The only satisfaction I get from this incident is hearing all the moaning and groaning from Hawks fans.

Edit: To the guy above me, you seem like one of the more educated Hawks fans, and I salute you for that. However, nothing is going to change my perception of the fanbase as a whole because the majority of your fanbase is rather embarassing to what it means to be a hockey fan.

well I agree that wishing injury on anyone especially a classy player like Hossa is horrible.

the reaction to this thread just shows the canucks fans are much more classy than blackhawks fans. when duncan keith received his suspension all the blackhawks threads were cheering it on saying it was totally worth it.

Good show Canuck fans, stay classsy. :) Never sink to their level.

Oh my god. Maybe I am a terrible person, but then what does that make Duncan Keith?

Bottom line. The Hawks ran the Yotes goalie. What did you think was going to happen? At least Torres paid Chicago back with a hit that would have been legal 3 year ago.

When Torres is on the ice you better keep your head up.

I like Hossa he is a good guy........Kieth and Bolland, thats a different story. as long as some one else is doing it and not a Canuck. I don't really like to see players get injured, but this league needs to go back to 1970 rule book,.......... Honorable retribution.

Miss Torres in a big way.

Clean hit. Or at least has been for the entire history of the NHL up until maybe 2 years ago. Scott Stevens is in the Hall of Fame precisely because of such work. Guy had the puck a split second before the hit and Torres goes in with shoulder all the way and with skate still on ice at the beginning of contact. Can't wait to hear the suspension justification when Shan "the Company man" comes calling. Hossa not seeing him is to be the standard now? Even when the guy comes in from your front 90 degree field of vision?

What has happened with "heads up" calls and guys heeding them and knowing intuitively when they were coming? Can't wait to see the next generation of players growing up skiing, riding bike, and heaven knows what less with with legally mandated helmeted noggins. You ain't seen nothing yet!

Playoffs is a war of attrition. Have people forgotten our infirmary roll calls of last year? If circumstances don't allow as to be neutral I want my team to be the doers not the "done to".

Pretty sure this makes you a terrible person. Real hockey fans in Chicago HATED the duncs hit on sedin. I was calling for Keith to be suspended for a long time. I would have been happy to have seen him have to sit through the first round of the playoffs. Dirty hits are terrible for our game and I just can't fathom why these guys do not have a single ounce of respect for their brothers in the hallowed fraternity that is the NHL. Nuck fans that wouldn't have minded Keith getting hit high and hard are actually kind of justified even though I disagree with them. But to celebrate a hit on Hossa who is universally respected around the league and is one of the classiest players in the game is just HORRIBLE. These hits have ZERO place in the game and just because they happen doesn't mean an eye for an eye system needs to happen. Jesus christ these hits have serious long term ramifications. People need to remember that. ESPECIALLY the players themselves.

Archived