Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Schneider Starting Game 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
309 replies to this topic

#181 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'm happy, but I feel terrible for Lu. Game 2 might have been the last time we are able to "Luuu."

#182 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Bad move.

#183 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm shocked by this. Not because it's a bad decision. We have 2 great goalies. More shocked because I had made the assumption Lou would stay at the end of the year, and Schneids would go.

I just don't see how you can possibly keep Lou around now. Very gutsy choice by A.V. But I do think that seals the fate of Lou in Vancouver. Too bad. I'm a big fan. Then again, I'm a big fan of Schneids too. Support the team and hope for the best. Go Canucks Go!

I truly believe that the organization had an agenda coming into the playoffs. There have been rumors by insiders that the organization wanted to keep Schneider, as they have been impressed not only with his skill, but with his maturity and character that they were loathe to see him go. There have also been rumors that there are issues regarding Luongo and his personal life. I am not going to delve into frivolous speculation regarding that, but the rumor was that Luongo was going to be moved this off-season regardless.

I think Luongo played well in the first two games, but was not outstanding or "shut the damn door" good. This opened up the opportunity for the organization to dictate it's agenda a bit more and push to give Schneider the start for Game 3. He did not give anyone legitimate reason to question that decision from his performance. His save on the 3-on-1, his 2-on-1 save late in the game after the goal against and when the Canucks were pushing gave us every chance to win.

Yes, there are problems with the core...I just don't think it's deep enough compared to other playoff contenders to beat one of the best defensive teams in the league. At our best, it's Sedin, Sedin, Kesler...maybe Edler. You take a team like the Hawks...Sharp, Kane, Toews, Hossa, Seabrook, Keith...I think that's where our true problems lie.

#184 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

little disturbed by some of the "you should support the Canucks no matter what" crowd can't seem to save any of that uncompromising love in the tank for Cory.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#185 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hope you enjoy Luongo Tampa!

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#186 19eightyfour

19eightyfour

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

I agree with you and that's why I can't tell if tonight's decision is the right one or not.

When the reason we lost the first 3 games weren't goaltending, how can there be wrong or right choices? On top of that, as we all say all the time, we have two goaltenders that can win us tonight's game. I believe in both and I believe either can win us the game as long as we get some goal supports.

the "right" or "wrong" choice is left to the team. it's all about how they see it - with av getting the final vote, obviously. do the players feel more comfortable with the experience of a goalie who has played in some big games (with mixed results) or the potential of a goalie who is likely at the start of a very promising career. as an observer, it seems as if the team is leaning toward the latter, and while it might take time for some to accept it, we the fans can only hope for the best.

and i don't think it can be said that goaltending wasn't the problem. people say "it was a team failure... but you can't blame the goalies" which is redundant, 'cause the last time i checked all teams have goalies. the fact is lu let in more goals (including one that cost us the early lead in game 1), and regardless of the degree of responsibility he has for each, the numbers speak for themselves. for the moment schneids seems to be the better bet for victory, at least that's what the team believes and we should believe in our team.

#187 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

A sad day for Vancouver...and probably more distraction and controversy than the team needs today.

#188 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Another thought here is that AV has always been criticized for not being able to make a hard move, like pulling Lu in the finals when the team had shut down.

Now that he feels his job on the line he feels he has to show he's strong enough and in control to make a tough decision.

The only problem now is that he's overcompensating and too blind to see the gutsy / hard decision in this case is the wrong one.

Good riddance. Ill be glad when we don't have to worry about our coach getting outsmarted in meaningful games.
Posted Image

#189 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

A sad day for Vancouver...and probably more distraction and controversy than the team needs today.

How is it a sad day for Vancouver? The coaching staff is going with the goalie they feel gives them the best shot at crawling back in the series.

#190 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

i can't keep up with this thread. every time i go to the next page, a new page pops up.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#191 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

I said it when he got, I'll say it again. You guys are going to regret the Luongo contract.
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#192 Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

I still love lu, the return will be awesome, THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK MAN. I know the fanbase treated you like crap and it really got to you after a few years. I HOPE you can win the cup with us this year, AND I HOPE a fresh start gets you back to your old playing level in a place like Tampa.

Forever a Canuck! Roberto Luongo.

#193 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

So if Schneiderman wins tonight, does he start game 5?

Yeah.

#194 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Interesting decision. Feel bad for Luo though, as this is one of the few times he didn't really deserve to get the shaft.

#195 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,578 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Well, that's not enough for me to call this the "right" decision because there are also lots of examples where Luongo kept us in a game too.

I'm not saying this is a "wrong" decision either. I just feel this is one of those decisions that either will do. If the team wins the game tonight then AV will be a genius. If the team still flops, then well.. I don't know what will happen really. Maybe AV will fired? Who knows.

I agree. I hoed for Schneids because I think he is the better, calmer goalie for a big game, but I thought Lu layed well enough to get the start too.

#196 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Another thought here is that AV has always been criticized for not being able to make a hard move, like pulling Lu in the finals when the team had shut down.

Now that he feels his job on the line he feels he has to show he's strong enough and in control to make a tough decision.

The only problem now is that he's overcompensating and too blind to see the gutsy / hard decision in this case is the wrong one.

Good riddance. Ill be glad when we don't have to worry about our coach getting outsmarted in meaningful games.

I don't think it's that at all. AV has been steadfast in the past when he's been faced with trials and tribulations. Through his successes and failures, faced with job security, he's just gone out there and done his job. Whether it's a job well done or not is up for debate, but that's not the point. He's not throwing Luongo under the bus because the team is not scoring, and he did not blaming him when he benched Luongo for game 3, and tonight. By your response, you make it seem like it would be impossible for him to think that Schneider gives the team a better chance.

This team does need a new coach, a coach that can do a better job than AV. But that does not mean that all our problems are AV's fault. When the effort is there, and the results aren't, that usually means that the team or the core just isn't good/deep enough. For this core to move forward beyond this point, they need a coach that can put us over the top; whose influences are beyond the roster...a guy like Hitchcock.

#197 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Sad day for Luo being forced to watch his upstart take his position.

Sad day for Gillis telling AV to start Schneids over Luo.

This is just a sad day for the Canucks organisation flip flopping into MG GM immaturity land.

#198 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Dear Luongo: You had some solid games in vancouver...you also had alot of weak games....the young gun behind you stole the show. If i could just ask for one last favour before you go.....Please don't put florida on your list, we have already picked them dry. I could see Nash/Parise/Lecaviler type player working here in vancouver.I don't blame you if you don't want to go to Columbus, but think of the fans! Best of luck next season.

LOL!!!

10122810.jpg

#199 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Smart move. Keeps the heat off Lu cuz if we lose, can't blame him. We won't blame Schneid's and really the goaltending is equal. I think if it went into round 2 Schneids would start but if he had half a bad game Lu would start the next game. Really smart decision but I doubt we're keeping Schneids over Lu.

Posted Image

#200 supersocco

supersocco

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,169 posts

The most important game so far. Do or die. Season might end. You put in your franchise goalie...the man you pay the big bucks for. You put in the Olympic gold medalist.....NOPE!! see ya Lu.

Enjoy Tampa Bay next year.

#201 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

it's the nail in lu's coffin. he's done.

Not necessarily.

If the team loses this game tonight and if AV is relieved of his position, what is to stop the new coach from starting fresh with Lu as his #1 goalie?
Posted Image

#202 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Luongo 1 year ago helped Vancouver get to the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in 16 years, posted 2 shut outs and watched his team only score 7 goals in the series, game 7 watched his team not score 1 goal. Once again this team just can't score, doesn't matter who is your goalie if your team can't score you can't win. Face it this team needed scoring going into the playoffs, and MG traded that away, this is all MG's fault.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#203 supersocco

supersocco

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Gillis won't fire A/V. He will just look back at his silly CoHo trade and lament that for awhile.

#204 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Byebye Luongo. Time to get Schneider jersey

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#205 puckluv

puckluv

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Going with Schneider makes sense because

(a) if the team loses, the blame won't be put on Luongo.
( b ) the team played pretty good in front of him last game no reason to change him.

The team's gotta score goals people!

Edited by puckluv, 18 April 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation. Michael Jordon

#206 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

I don't think it's that at all. AV has been steadfast in the past...

He's also never really been at risk of losing his job in the past though..
Posted Image

#207 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Luongo 1 year ago helped Vancouver get to the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in 16 years, posted 2 shut outs and watched his team only score 7 goals in the series, game 7 watched his team not score 1 goal. Once again this team just can't score, doesn't matter who is your goalie if your team can't score you can't win. Face it this team needed scoring going into the playoffs, and MG traded that away, this is all MG's fault.

Luongo also let in 20 goals during that series.

#208 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

He's also never really been at risk of losing his job in the past though..

Except maybe game 7 against Chicago.
Posted Image

#209 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Luongo also let in 20 goals during that series.

The team allowed 20 goals against, just like when there's a shutout it's usually a result of great TEAM defense as well as goaltending.

God, all you keyboard warriors that think a shutout or strong save % is always a pure reflection of the goaltender need to try playing a sport and experiencing some teamwork.
Posted Image

#210 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Why is it that every time Schneider plays, the defense is better?

Maybe Schneider is making the defense look better. If not, then we should play Schneider should we not? Since the team plays "better" in front?

Because they have! Schnieds only had to face 20 shots
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.