Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

(Article) Tradable Luongo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

#121 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,466 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

He'd be great in helping Kassian learn how to play that role.

He'd be a great mentor for Kassian.

#122 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

5.3m cap hit but making 10m this year. That means he has to play like he's worth 10m because when he's making 1m and is a 5.3m cap hit, he won't be playing like he's worth 5.3m.

i am getting fracking sick and tired of idiots talking about how lu is making 10 mil a year with ZERO understanding how the whole contract works. Also, for the last time, he is NOT making 10 millions this year.

it is retards like this guy who keeps chasing our players away from the team.

#123 peetles

peetles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

Lu would have to approve any trade or demotion to the minors

source: NoMovementClause

Edited by peetles, 19 April 2012 - 01:07 AM.

haha... i remember 2 seasons ago when van was supposedly frontrunner for forsberg, and someone replied to it

"no thanks, vancouver has enough washed up feet"

#124 RGC

RGC

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

i am getting fracking sick and tired of idiots talking about how lu is making 10 mil a year with ZERO understanding how the whole contract works. Also, for the last time, he is NOT making 10 millions this year.

Untrue on the latter comment. On the former, my mistake, but he still has to play like he's worth 6.7 million now, which he hasn't, so my point stands. Be easy, no need to insult, we just have differing opinions.

Edited by RGC, 19 April 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#125 oldnucks

oldnucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

Trading Lu I am all thumbs up but the BIG question is...who wants him?

#126 Deamon852

Deamon852

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Lu would have to approve any trade or demotion to the minors

source: NoMovementClause

Ahh, that won't be happening then.

#127 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

He'd be great in helping Kassian learn how to play that role.

Lu and Tanev and Van 1st

Malone, Connolly, 1st

#128 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Lu and Tanev and Van 1st

Malone, Connolly, 1st

Ouch. I'm a big Tanev fan. Kid skates like the wind, makes great passes, great on 2-on-1's, solid reads, good stick, right handed shot and has a big frame to eventually fill out (only knock on him is a lack of physical play - but Edler was much the same when he first came up). I guess if Gillis knew he had Justin Schultz in the back of his pocket he could afford to deal him, but with Salo's footspeed in rapid decline I'd rather keep Tanev myself.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#129 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Brilliant... you think professional athletes are going to decide on their career by reading what an anonymous fan board has to say about them?

#130 Hectic

Hectic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

This article is an embarrassment to the Vancouver Canucks and the actual supporters of the team. I wake up and read the Vancouver Sun everyday and was so infuriated at this article that I was going to create a topic but it's already here so I hope that people can identify with me in how terrible media coverage like this is for the Canucks. This article is 100% of a speculative nature and to say "Roberto Luongo will be traded" is absolute BS. We just won a huge game, and are in need of 3 more even bigger wins to make it to the second round, and the writer of this article is trying to draw attention to himself at the expense of what's actually going on with our team. He is making his own conclusions and I feel that it is media coverage like this that gives the Vancouver Canucks faithful their poor reputation around the league. Yes, some of the bandwagon fans can really piss some people off, but in my opinion, after reading this article, I honestly believe that media coverage such as this show people that our hockey market is undeserving of a cup. Are we deserving of a cup? Absolutely! We've been waiting for so many years.. however once again (and I'll keep saying it..) media coverage like this is a joke, and is that starting point to what people see to give them their interpretation that we are terrible fans.

#131 NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Opens up a ton of cap for Shea weber

Or Sutter. We can only hope.
Go Canucks Go!!!

#132 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Ouch. I'm a big Tanev fan. Kid skates like the wind, makes great passes, great on 2-on-1's, solid reads, good stick, right handed shot and has a big frame to eventually fill out (only knock on him is a lack of physical play - but Edler was much the same when he first came up). I guess if Gillis knew he had Justin Schultz in the back of his pocket he could afford to deal him, but with Salo's footspeed in rapid decline I'd rather keep Tanev myself.

Connolly for Tanev - you gotta be crazy not to do this trade.

Luongo and our 1st for Malone and their 1st (top 10)

I would do that deal in a heart beat.

Lure Schultz in here and were set for another deep run :D

#133 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Trading his insane contract might be hard. Luongo comes with baggage and may need to agree to take a pay cut or remain a backup.

There is nothing really insane about Luongo's contract - other than the length of time.  His yearly cap hit is 5.3 million - which is 7th in the NHL... quite reasonable for someone with his stats.  Additionally, the Canucks have already paid for the first two years at the highest rate - 10m.  With the cap going up and players asking for more and more all the time, if Luongo continues to play with elite stats then his contract might actually look like a bit of a bargain.

With this said - it *is* a long contract, and if Gillis tries to trade him, other GMs know where Vancouver is coming from and they will not likely offer the return we would prefer to get because they know Gillis is basically desperate to offload Luongo's contract.

The other issue - of course - is the fact that Luongo has the NTC.  (Which, if I remember correctly, Gillis said he would never ask one of the team members to waive a NTC) However - I wonder if Luongo would actually be open to the idea since he was relegated to backup these playoffs, along with the fact that Vancouver fans are really hard on their players and he doesn't really get the respect he probably deserves.  That can't feel great.

And the user who claimed that those who think we should trade Luongo and keep Schneider just started watching Canucks hockey is wrong.  I've been watching our team since 1992, and if it is possible I do think that this course of action is the better choice.  
1) Schneider is younger and has far more potential
2) Schnieder doesn't get rattled in net... nor does he need anyone to stroke his ego
3) Schneider will be cheaper, and therefore free up cap space to get a better player
4) The team simply plays better and more aggressively in front of SchneiderReally, I don't see any good reason to *keep* Luongo over Schneider.

Edited by kloubek, 19 April 2012 - 03:11 PM.

Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#134 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Indeed. Fatten up Tanev and he'll be very useful.

#135 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Connolly for Tanev - you gotta be crazy not to do this trade.

Luongo and our 1st for Malone and their 1st (top 10)

I would do that deal in a heart beat.

Lure Schultz in here and were set for another deep run :D

not to mention Cannauton and Sauve playing well in Manitoba makes it a little more palatable..........personally, I prefer the team find dmen through trades and UFA anyway as it takes so long for dmen to become dependable, mature players at that position. Tanev is playing well, but we see, from Edler and Bieksa, he's probably got 5 years of roller coaster hockey ahead of him

#136 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

It looks like the Sun and Provie have been trading Lu trade stories.

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

Special thanks to Marleau 12 for the siggy...

"Gino's got the Zaaaaaaaaaaaa's"

#137 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

wow what a load ........................................of poop.
they went with the goalie who played better against the kings. next round if we make it luongo might be the go to guy... who knows but right now cory is giving us that chance to win and maybe we can continue to do so.

also Penguins and flyers is just insane to watch..... someone needs to remind them that the puck isn't just supposed to go in the other guys net but you are actually supposed to try and keep it out of your own. the way they are playing neither will make it out of the second round..esp if they play a defensive team like Boston.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.