The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Is There So Much Hate Towards Luongo

Nic JF

As a non Vancouver fan (from Toronto) with no devotion to either goalie, I would say that Luongo's nervous playstyle and demeanor doesn't do him any favors but he is an elite goaltender and you guys are really blessed with great depth at the most important position on the ice.

Just basing my opinion on this series, both 'tenders have played brilliantly and there hasn't been much to choose between them.

The change was made as the team was getting plain outworked in the first two games and something had to be done to mix it up but there certainly shouldn't be any hate on Luongo that's for sure.

Good luck next game guys!

As a Canadian Luo has solidified his name in Canadian hockey lore.

Luo was invincible.Along came the groin injury but Gillis did not realise the severity of it at the time and gave THE contract just after.

Luo has been forced to play a new style with Melanson ,with his original game no longer effective with the injury.

Luo was the man here for years and if he stays,he will now have to accept the sharing of the top spot.

I don't think that will happen for many reasons,certainly economically speaking.

In the beginning Luo;s personality reflected his play and both were larger than life.

For the years that followed he was never the same but he gave the team all he could.

His legacy is assured in Canada and in Vancouver.

We will never know how it would have turned out without the groin injury but he will leave the team a much different person than when he arrived and for me ,this Luo is more of a man and less of a hockey icon.

There is life beyond hockey and he has had to learn that the hard way,but learn he has.Good luck,Luo.

1. To answer your "simple" question I would say I know as much as you, but then you'll reply to me stating how you have played goal and coached goal and blah blah blah unconfirmable BS. I won't claim I've ever played goal, but I've watched a ton of hockey and I understand statistics. Schneider's play is more consistent and his stats are better, I'm sure you have some fantastic argument against that too I'd love to hear it and then easily refute it. Usually the next argument will be Schneider isn't under the pressure Luongo is, well guess what he played in the elimination game and was lights-out. Next it will be the defence plays better in front of Schneider...sorry not in the 2 games Schneider played this series it has been pretty much equally dreadful, just check the scoring chances.

1. Now, that's insulting. Having played the position for well over a decade, I find it insulting that you would assume you know as much as me. You're an arm-chair critic who knows absolutely nothing about the position you're watching. I can't help but laugh at your asinine assumption. (literally laughed-out-loud)

2. You've never played, that much is certain. The second flaw you've addressed is that you believe hockey is but a numbers game. You understand statistics? My God, that's fantastic. Hockey is but a numbers game to you and you clearly can't comprehend the sport you're watching. Feel free to offer a rebuttal. It won't change much, my mind has been made up. You've never played the position and clearly you can't comprehend the sport you're watching.

3. Only time will tell. The team had a poor start to the series. That's not an excuse, the Canucks were in a slump, as they neared the end of the season. They coasted to the Presidents Trophy. The series hasn't been as equally dreadful and if you can't see that then there's no point in continuing this argument.

To reiterate: You know absolutely nothing about the sport you're watching. Your criticisms are based off your own experience, as an arm-chair critic whose never laced up a pair of skates. Lastly, you may want to get your eyes checked, the team has improved in the last two games of the series, most importantly on the defensive side of the game.

Incredible? Who's the homer again? You're a homer and nothing more than that. Excuses? Luongo has given up at most two bad goals. However' as you'd like to see it, he should carry all of the blame. My posts haven't put favour over either athlete, I've only come in to this discussion to refute morons like you. The Canucks have two amazing young athletes in Luongo and Schneider.

You seem to think that hockey is all about statistics. In the same light, I'm sure you thought Quick played horribly because he gave up three. You don't know the first thing about the sport of hockey. Nor should you be commenting on goaltending. Again, you're just an arm-chair critic.

You keep insisting that I blame Luongo for the first 2 losses. Nowhere in any of my posts did I do that. Yet you say I dont comprehend and call me a moron. Thats a personal attack which is reportable to the mods, but I won't because I enjoy reading your posts that make no sense. All my arguments have been that Schneider is the superior goaltender and I try to back that up with evidence, you just continue to spout your opinion with zero evidence. I won't personally attack you though you are entitled to your opinion no matter how obviously biased and wrong it is. This will be my last reply since I don't appreciate being called a moron by someone who needs to take a long look at himself before calling others names. I can comprehend the sport I'm watching, I've watched it for over 20 years what I can't comprehend is your postings. And from what I read I think you're starting to get mad, which is also amusing to me.

That's your go-to defence? Hilarious. Now, as for the attack being, "biased", I'd have to disagree with you there. It's a fair assumption, after all, you've never truly played the sport. Having to read & listen to critique from arm-chair critics, such as yourself is insulting. Your entire argument is flawed - from start to finish. Twenty years of arm-chair criticizing and you don't even know the first thing about goaltending. It's a numbers game to you, nothing more. You understand statistics, nothing more. Your opinions are based on what the media feeds you.

u-mad-bro.png

Whats really funny is you don't even address the points I make, you just keep saying the same tired things over and over again. And no I'm not mad, I'm not the one who started calling names like a little kid. This will truly be my last reply to you because you won't listen to logic, you can't offer any valid counter arguments other than personal attacks and your posts continue to make less and less sense for example...re-read this:

"That's your go-to defence? Hilarious.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever, good luck in your future Luongo homerism.

Flyers 22 goals against in 4 games

Pens 23 goals against in 4 games

We do not have a goalie problem ...Lu is great cory is great... they are great.

now if lu played like the pens or flyers goalies then sure call it a melt down and cast some hate but that is not the case.

You assume that watching the sport, without ever having played it, gives you the sole right to critique it. You've never played the sport, you'll never understand it. It's nothing but a numbers game to you. You're close-minded and you fail to realize that there's more to hockey than the end result of a game. In defence, you offered this little gem:

Really? Twenty-years of sitting on your own behind makes you an expert?

You said it was unfair of me to call you a moron and I refuted it. What's not to understand? Any person who has never played the position simply shouldn't offer critique of it.

:picard: I'd say that's a personal attack, but what do I know?

Flyers 22 goals against in 4 games

Pens 23 goals against in 4 games

We do not have a goalie problem ...Lu is great cory is great... they are great.

now if lu played like the pens or flyers goalies then sure call it a melt down and cast some hate but that is not the case.

Archived