The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet Article Re Luongo Trade Having "green Light"

metanoia

people have got to be retarded to think Tampa Bay will give anything beside Lecavalier for Luongo.. so how does trading a 5.33 cap hit for a 7.72 cap hit for almost just as long benefits the team? Luongo can still perform.. Lecavalier is way past his prime. People here needs to give themselves a reality check and thinks what's better for the team long term lol.. sure Schneider might be the better goalie long term.. at the same time.. do you guys honestly believe this team will win a cup with it's current roster even with Schneider in net? i don't.. we have no consistent playoff performers that can play the style needed to win.. Are the Sedins built for the playoff when the game slows down to a crawl? nope.. is kesler consistent? nope.. burrows? nope.. so honestly i don't see this team winning a cup this year or next.. and we might already seen the Sedins starting to decline in point production.. and who knows if Kesler will ever fully recover from his knee surgery.. Do we have any grade A guranteed top 6 forwards in the system? no.. so is trading Luongo better than trading Schneider if we are trading for the future?? we can trade Schneider to start reloading for the future vs trading Luongo and get a terrible contract back that probably wouldn't help us win a cup.. sorry even with Schneider here i don't see us winning a cup in the near future or his tenure here in vancouver just coz we don't have any future stars in the system that can take over when the sedins and kesler's are done.

what a disgusting article, almost as bad as the one in the province this morning. Team is still in the playoffs and the media are already packing luongos bags for him. I would love to see how jason botchford would respond if they brought in say damien cox to replace him and made a big media spectacle out of it and called him a useless sack of cr@p and a whole lot worse.

People seem to forget hockey is a game, yes people are passionate i am a diehard fan myself but at the end of the day luongo is a human being just like the rest of us and doesnt deserve to be treated like this. Just like anyone doesnt deserve it no matter what salary they make.

Luongo is our franchise goalie and Schneider, despite playing well in a few spot-starts, will be lucky if he's ever the goalie Luongo is today.

Don't get fooled by Schneider's great stats in the regular season - playing 30 games and being managed well by the coaching staff means he never had to witness fatigue mentally or physically - the one time he did was after he played 7 consecutive games and he was awful in the final of those games, which just shows that he can break too.

Luongo is a professional and understands the mental and physical grind, whereas Schneider does not. He's played 2 playoff games so far and hasn't had much workload in a while, so we can't rely on this guy, even if we miraculously make it past the 1st round.

I guarantee you now, Schneider will falter if he isn't kept on by the Canucks and given 40ish games. He's not ready for 60+ games on a terrible team, but as he's still a young goalie he needs to be groomed carefully or he'll end up as just another bust if his development is ruined by a bad team who wants to try and ride him hard during the season.

I guarantee you now, Schneider will falter if he isn't kept on by the Canucks and given 40ish games. He's not ready for 60+ games on a terrible team, but as he's still a young goalie he needs to be groomed carefully or he'll end up as just another bust if his development is ruined by a bad team who wants to try and ride him hard during the season.

Another good player that bleeds blue and green being run out of town.

We truly are the most classless of all the teams.

I like Cory as much as the next guy, but Luongo has gotten no credit at all for ANYTHING, save for ruining all our stanley cup dreams.

The media has torn him to shreds, and when its done, they will play the 'sorry to see you go' card.

I havent bought a Province newspaper since that jackass editor in cheif ran that editorial about trading luongo for lecavalier. I got into a fight with him with that one, it was hilarious.

Maybe you should look at other 1st year starter contracts and revise your estimate. A guy like Quick was under $2 million.. Price at $2.75.

Schneider is not more proven or better than these guys were at this stage. I really think you need to remember that he has never carried an NHL team. There have been uncountable "great" goalies come into the league and maybe have a good year and then fade into obscurity.

I don't think Schneider is that guy, but he will not be getting $4 million per year on his first contract.... that would put him in the top half of all starters in terms of salary, not too far behind guys like Thomas and Brodeur.

He is going to get a cheaper 2-3 year contract to see if he actually pans out.

Spector is a tool. I don't see Luongo going. He was the reason game 1 was close. He has 2 shutouts in the finals last season and that still wasn't enough to wake up the rest of the team. (Sure he had his breakdowns but that's the whole team too)

I'm happy your not the GM.

Despite his recent struggles, Robert Luongo is a sought after all star goalie in the NHL. He is a proven number 1 goalie, and also a proven winner. IF he gets traded, that team will automatcially be better because of Luongo. Were not going after draft picks. If anyteam wants Luongo, the price will be pretty high. You can say, "well you don't want him." Well Luongo is a franchice goalie. NHL all star, and if people call him a "choker" he's made it farther then 28 other NHL goalies. He had a bad year, but guarantee, he gets a new team, new start, and he will do fine. And who the hell is this Victor Hedman??? Pretty mediocre.

It's NOT about Luongo playing poorly or even the cap hit (b/c Schneider will sign for ~4.5ish). To me, they are equal quality wise. BUT Luongo is 33 years old with 10 more years on his contract (according to the contract, there is a loophole where the team can try to trade him at 37 but at that point of his career, what team is going to want a 37 year old goalie with 6 years at 5.3million? Although he performs greatly now, IF Luongo declines with age he could hamper us salary wise for a long time. Thus if you have an opportunity (especially if you can get a decent return) you trade him.

Schneider is 26 years old and has shown that he can play at the same level and might save us a million in salary cap space over the next few years. Even a 7 year contract would bring him to 33.

It's NOT about Luongo playing poorly or even the cap hit (b/c Schneider will sign for ~4.5ish). To me, they are equal quality wise. BUT Luongo is 33 years old with 10 more years on his contract (according to the contract, there is a loophole where the team can try to trade him at 37 but at that point of his career, what team is going to want a 37 year old goalie with 6 years at 5.3million?

people have got to be retarded to think Tampa Bay will give anything beside Lecavalier for Luongo.. so how does trading a 5.33 cap hit for a 7.72 cap hit for almost just as long benefits the team? Luongo can still perform.. Lecavalier is way past his prime. People here needs to give themselves a reality check and thinks what's better for the team long term lol.. sure Schneider might be the better goalie long term.. at the same time.. do you guys honestly believe this team will win a cup with it's current roster even with Schneider in net? i don't.. we have no consistent playoff performers that can play the style needed to win.. Are the Sedins built for the playoff when the game slows down to a crawl? nope.. is kesler consistent? nope.. burrows? nope.. so honestly i don't see this team winning a cup this year or next.. and we might already seen the Sedins starting to decline in point production.. and who knows if Kesler will ever fully recover from his knee surgery.. Do we have any grade A guranteed top 6 forwards in the system? no.. so is trading Luongo better than trading Schneider if we are trading for the future?? we can trade Schneider to start reloading for the future vs trading Luongo and get a terrible contract back that probably wouldn't help us win a cup.. sorry even with Schneider here i don't see us winning a cup in the near future or his tenure here in vancouver just coz we don't have any future stars in the system that can take over when the sedins and kesler's are done.

If we make it out of this series and Cory has a bad game 1 in the next round, I seriously doubt AV would hesitate to start Luongo in game 2. I think people are looking waaaaay too far into this.

I feel seriously bad for Luongo. The media around here are absolute sharks. And here I was thinking the fan base was bad....

When we played against New Jersey and Schneider started I was listening to the radio on the pregame show. There was a lot of hype and a lot of people in New Jersey harping how great Schneider was, and how even Brodeur was singing Schneider's praises.

Now that's a team in the Atlantic division that might be in the market for a future starter and they were saying how good Schneiderman is. Nothing changes the fact that Schneider is younger, yet a little unproven, but seems to handle pressure situations pretty damn well. The only concern of us or a potential buyer is will he be able to handle the load as a starter?

It happens in sports all the time, the young guy takes the starters job. I get that the NMC is a point of concern for Luongo. But players like Heatley have been moved. It's one of those situations where Luongo didn't really falter, it's just the team plays better in front of Schneider. At least so far in the series. Things like that happen. It sucks for Luongo, especially since he's such a fierce competitor. But it's still early. A lot can happen.

I'm just glad that MG is open-minded enough to see that perhaps a change is needed, perhaps not. But it's always good to have options.

You do understand that Luongo won't be playing by then don't you? ... and that since it isn't an over 35 contract we aren't responsible for the cap hit.

Luongo's contract was simply a way to circumvent the salary cap, and those last years are effectively cheating. They are cheating that we got away with though, since the league simply said after it was signed that no one else was allowed to do the same thing.

The result is that we have a player who we pay top dollar for in reality, but only get assessed a middling cap hit. That makes it a GREAT contract.

If your argument is that Schneider is going to sign for almost the same amount (and they are roughly equal goalies), then it would be dumb not to keep Luongo. Luongo is proven and you know what his cap hit is going to be going forward... we also have another potential star goalie in the system who if we bring him along the same path as Schneider could be ready to take over right about when Luongo retires.

With Schneider, you are certainly not going to sign him to a 7 year deal for $4-5 million per year... he has never even been a starter in the league and has yet to show he is capable. PLEASE consider that he has been under zero pressure to perform so far, he has been behind an unpopular starter and if he plays reasonably well he gets to be the hero... and if he plays poorly, well he is only a young backup so you can't blame him.

The world changes DRAMATICALLY if he is the go-to guy. Just picture next season if he comes out of the gate and lets in 7 goals a game for a stretch of 3 games (and every goalie has bad stretches)... all of a sudden people are yelling that we made the wrong choice and got rid of a veteran and are stuck with another young goalie with potential who has flamed out (like has happened uncountable times in this league).

If Schneider is going to be a significant cap savings you take that risk... if not then Luongo and his good value contract are the best choice.

Luongo is our franchise goalie and Schneider, despite playing well in a few spot-starts, will be lucky if he's ever the goalie Luongo is today.

Don't get fooled by Schneider's great stats in the regular season - playing 30 games and being managed well by the coaching staff means he never had to witness fatigue mentally or physically - the one time he did was after he played 7 consecutive games and he was awful in the final of those games, which just shows that he can break too.

Luongo is a professional and understands the mental and physical grind, whereas Schneider does not. He's played 2 playoff games so far and hasn't had much workload in a while, so we can't rely on this guy, even if we miraculously make it past the 1st round.

When we played against New Jersey and Schneider started I was listening to the radio on the pregame show. There was a lot of hype and a lot of people in New Jersey harping how great Schneider was, and how even Brodeur was singing Schneider's praises.

Now that's a team in the Atlantic division that might be in the market for a future starter and they were saying how good Schneiderman is. Nothing changes the fact that Schneider is younger, yet a little unproven, but seems to handle pressure situations pretty damn well. The only concern of us or a potential buyer is will he be able to handle the load as a starter?

It happens in sports all the time, the young guy takes the starters job. I get that the NMC is a point of concern for Luongo. But players like Heatley have been moved. It's one of those situations where Luongo didn't really falter, it's just the team plays better in front of Schneider. At least so far in the series. Things like that happen. It sucks for Luongo, especially since he's such a fierce competitor. But it's still early. A lot can happen.

I'm just glad that MG is open-minded enough to see that perhaps a change is needed, perhaps not. But it's always good to have options.

I don't think it's guaranteed that Luongo will say "okay I'm past my prime; so for the sake of the team I'm currently on I will retire and relieve the team of cap space". Brodeur is playing at 37 . Tim Thomas is 38. There's no reason to believe that Luongo will all of a sudden pack in his bags.

Archived