The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To Those Canucks Fans Who Were In La These Past Two Games

How rowdy are the LA fans towards Canucks fans? I've heard pretty bad things from a couple guys I talked to at the bar about their experiences. A couple of them got into fights down there with LA fans.

I'm heading down to Game 6 if it happens. I was wondering if I should be worried about this at all.

Any feedback would be nice.

Thanks in advance

Just go there in Canuck colors.

Don't get excessively drunk (key).

Be aware of your surroundings.

Cheer loud, but not obnoxiously.

Respect your opposing fans. If someone yells at you don't respond unless it's in a respectful way.

Don't put yourself in a bad situation.

If you do the above I don't see how you could possibly get into an altercation with someone. If you do happen to get into a bad situation after following the above then normally the opposing person would be the drunk idiot and fellow Kings fans would more than likely assist you. As well as security.

I've been to a few Canuck games in LA and have never had a problem. I wore Canuck gear and cheered my tail off as well.

Just go there in Canuck colors.

Don't get excessively drunk (key).

Be aware of your surroundings.

Cheer loud, but not obnoxiously.

Respect your opposing fans. If someone yells at you don't respond unless it's in a respectful way.

Don't put yourself in a bad situation.

If you do the above I don't see how you could possibly get into an altercation with someone. If you do happen to get into a bad situation after following the above then normally the opposing person would be the drunk idiot and fellow Kings fans would more than likely assist you. As well as security.

I've been to a few Canuck games in LA and have never had a problem. I wore Canuck gear and cheered my tail off as well.

I used to spend summers in LA. I would say the area you go to watch the game in may influence how agro bar patrons may get. Just like in van -further east = more rough area, also applies to south. If you arent going to the arena, watch in hollywood around melrose, westwood, santa monica etc. Safe benign areas. Have a great time and be careful if you go downtown. Always watch out for random crime ( muggings) 2 friends who live in la mugged off sunset... Just sayin ...

I went to see them in Los Angeles 2 years ago when we faced them in the first round. We got 2 great lower bowl tickets 45 minutes before puckdrop from the ticket broker across the street (face value - which is like $80 there) -- thought wow, this is going to be fun -- "it's So. Cal, people don't really care about hockey".

Got into the arena and started going down the steps and everybody was wearing black. Reminded me of going to a Raiders game in Oakland (sans costumes). There were spots of blue scattered -- but not much in our section. We weren't wearing Canucks colours -- as it was a last minute decision. Their fans were louder than I expected. Lots of yelling, swearing, etc. A much rowdier atmosphere than sitting in the lower bowl for a Canucks game. Possibly due to the cheaper, more accessible ticket prices. The arena blasted mostly metal bands -- lot's of Metallica, Guns n' Roses, etc. Fans were jacked up -- rightfully so, the Kings don't make the playoffs very often. That's all cool -- I was into it!

Anyhow, one of the Sedins scored first -- my girlfriend stood up and clapped. Our cover was blown! For the rest of the game the guys sitting directly behind us wouldn't shut up. "Canada sucks", "What a pathetic loser country", "Canadians are a bunch of homosexuals", "f&*#$ Canada", etc.. They were getting more hateful and agressive as they continued to drink. A couple of times actually poking me. They were obviously looking for a reaction. I wanted to turn around and say something (but could tell that would only make things worse). I'm not about to get in a fight over a sporting event. Completely ruined our experience. We contemplated watching the 3rd period elsewhere --but stuck it out.

I've been to games in other places. Cheering for the road team in any arena -- it's always a gamble of who'll be sitting around you. 98% of people are cool but you'll always get that 2% of assholes at any sporting event. Everybody else we met at the game was really nice. I believe it's the home fans repsonsibility to self regulate their own. Would have loved it, if somebody around us told them to shut it. Although, at the same time -- I can see why they don't want to get involved (I probably wouldn't) -- it's not an easy thing. Hindsight 20/20, we probably should have contacted security. Curious how you guys woiuld react in that situation?

Archived