Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

How Big Is Keith's Cheap Shot Looking Now?!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

I know I do not have to really expound (BIG word alert) on it, but after watching last night's game I could not help but wonder where we would have been with Dank this whole time. Last night just shined a light on how important he really is to our game plan. Meanwhile, Keith just keeps chugging along in his series like nothing ever happened.

Is it hindsight? Yes, but it is important to acknowledge that two teams have lost their star players (Alfy, Dank) in the past month due to cheap shots and those teams could suffer because of it. Consider this me venting, but I am curious about whether some of you think we would be in a different situation had Dank been healthy this whole time. I understand injuries are part of the game, but not when they can be avoided by playing the right way. And this obviously could have been avoided.

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

Special thanks to Marleau 12 for the siggy...

"Gino's got the Zaaaaaaaaaaaa's"

#2 Niners70

Niners70

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

Your bang on. I never underestimated the importance of Daniel to this team. It settles everything down completely. When the twins are together the puck possession alone takes pressure off our Defense, Daniel passes almost as well as hank, they get a ton of attention; thus, giving Kesler et al easier d pairings and more space to move . If Daniel was here from the start this series would be over. Let's just hope our team can withstand the do or die pressure and do what the Flyers did to the Bruins to years ago.

I believe !

#3 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,704 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

You can't blame the Canucks taking the first week off on Daniel's absence. They finished the regular season just fine without him.

It was a strong Kings team that came into the series with more heart than the Canucks, that's why they got up 3-0.

#4 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

I am not taking anything away from the Kings, but you have to know that Danny's presence causes them to play different defensively and obviously makes our PP much better. I am not saying we would have swept them, but I am saying that we would most likely be tied up at two apiece. Especially given the 1-0 game last Sunday.

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

#5 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Canucks would have probably won in 6 with Daniel from the get-go. Instead we'll probably lose in 6 now thanks to Keith.

So basically we lose our best forward for a few weeks and lose our entire season, and in return Keith gets a 5 game suspension.

Part of me is glad Hossa is in hospital right now. Karma is finally working her sweet magic. If the league won't find a way to teach these guys a lesson, then other players will have to, and that's what Torres did.
Posted Image

#6 binderdonedat

binderdonedat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

You can't blame the Canucks taking the first week off on Daniel's absence. They finished the regular season just fine without him.

It was a strong Kings team that came into the series with more heart than the Canucks, that's why they got up 3-0.

Nope I have to respectfully disagree. Your top scorer, and an Art Ross winner is gone in a playoff series is VASTLY different from missing regular season games, at the end of a season, when said team is virtually assured a place in the playoffs no matter how they play. When the dynamic of this team was needed in this round, it wasn't there, and that was as obvious as sunshine tonight. The very moment Daniel got his legs back from the month off, and started performing his game, the rest of the team also started playing their game again. And big shocker, we won. Pretty much everything that has been lacking in our team was corrected by Daniel's return.

Playoffs =/= regular season, full stop. This fact alone is absolutely why the Keith suspension was a bloody tragic joke against our team. We lost more than just our top player for the playoffs, we lost a team built around a dynamic that was literally destroyed by that elbow. All Keith received was a vacation, he was dressed and ready game 1. Meanwhile we are down 1-3 clawing our way back only lucky that Danny is not out the rest of this year. If anything, the lack of appropriate discipline on the Keith hit (and others, like Webers recent cheap shot) is only made more apparent by the vastly different team we saw last night.

The NHL should take solid notice of this. But then, in a perfect world it rains skittles.

Edited by binderdonedat, 19 April 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#7 Dufflebagg

Dufflebagg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

Is it hindsight? Yes, but it is important to acknowledge that two teams have lost their star players (Alfy, Dank) in the past month due to cheap shots and those teams could suffer because of it. Consider this me venting, but I am curious about whether some of you think we would be in a different situation had Dank been healthy this whole time. I understand injuries are part of the game, but not when they can be avoided by playing the right way. And this obviously could have been avoided.

I don't see how the Canucks can avoid cheap-shots when the schedule-makers keep putting them against Chicago 4 times a year.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

I don't see how the Canucks can avoid cheap-shots when the schedule-makers keep putting them against Chicago 4 times a year.

Good point.

#9 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

The Nucks sucked down the stretch with Dank in the lineup.

It all came together last night,though.

Nice to see that Armageddon was avoided.

#10 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

luvin hanks cheap shot on brown.

WHAT DID HE DO?

he got robbed by schnieder and shut down buy the nucks :bigblush:

Edited by pwnstar, 19 April 2012 - 07:20 AM.

Posted Image

#11 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

It just reaffirms my belief that next season, someone on the Canucks roster has to give Keith the Darren McCarty on Claude Lemiuex treatment.

You can't prevent players from taking cheap shots at your stars, but since the league refuses to do anything significant about it (unless you're a relative nobody like Raffi Torres or Aaron Rome) you have to take care of it yourself.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#12 b3nnyb

b3nnyb

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

If Shannahan actually took a more agressive approach. He has made a mockery of the NHL. Kieth should have sat out the remainder games + a few 1 round games. It would have sent a serious message that we are not putting up with it. You see the impact a leading scorer has with a team. You want to take a run at a 4 liner. Fine, but if you are head hunting a top scorer, the demeanor of the hit is definitely intent to hurt not just a player, but a team. The hit on Hossa follows suit. I was really surprised that the Brown hit on H Sedin wasn't reviewed. That was a plan and simple blind side hit. The NHL needs to really take the borderline hits and showcase the hitters so they dont just stroll down the ice until they see someone in a vunderable position and take the strides to make a hit. What was the difference on the charging call on Kass and the Brown hit on Hank. It is frustrating to watch and to keep watching when there is this type of crap going on. I love hockey, but the NHL is moving backward in there ways to help out the game. Shannahan still has friends playing in the game. How the hell is that fair. The discipline actions should be made from more than one x-player only removed for a few years. I am just glad the Canucks are embracing Dannys return and eager to see it continue.

Rant over and out!! Haha

#13 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Keith has to be dealt with the next time the two teams meet. Time to see if Kassian is the real deal
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#14 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

I was thinking about it a minute ago and remembered when Booth fought Richards after he came back from his concussion a couple years ago. Booth was NOT a fighter, but felt the need to address it personally and felt some sort of closure once that happened. Let's be honest; Dank will not fight Keith because that is not who he is, but I think he should. Keith is in NO way a fighter and that has been shown in his slap fights with Burr. Even if Dank drops the gloves and hugs and holds him, he will still earn respect and maybe put some closure to this. It is not like Keith is going to pummel him. And to be honest, most of the time in these retribution laden fights the other guy does not really do much besides defend himself because he understands it is part of the game. I just want to see Dank stick up for himself once. Maybe Zack and Dale can take him into the barn in the off-season and give some training Youngblood style eh? If Youngblood can do it, Dank can too!

#15 Rhinocook

Rhinocook

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Canucks would have probably won in 6 with Daniel from the get-go. Instead we'll probably lose in 6 now thanks to Keith.

So basically we lose our best forward for a few weeks and lose our entire season, and in return Keith gets a 5 game suspension.

Part of me is glad Hossa is in hospital right now. Karma is finally working her sweet magic. If the league won't find a way to teach these guys a lesson, then other players will have to, and that's what Torres did.

Hold on now! That is a crazy thing to say. I go to the other teams sites and check out thier boards all the time. Especially when something major happens between the two teams. What I see a lot is crazy trash talk like this. Can we not try and be better than this? To say that part of you is glad he is in the hospital (he actually was released) is just ugly.

I would like to say that maybe now if any of their fans are level headed enough they might see how we felt when Daniel was taken out. At least Torres hit was a hockey play. Not a clean hit, but at least it was the result of an attempted body check. Keiths hit, well, if it was the UFC I would say fantastic elbow, well executed and great follow through.....

Does this Torres hit not remind anyone of Niklas Kronwall??? How does that guy get away with leaving his feet for a hit?? I don't get it. Torres hit seemed like a carbon copy of one of Kronwalls! Would love to here Shanahans thought on this.
Sig is way too large, 500KB limit

#16 Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Keith has to be dealt with the next time the two teams meet. Time to see if Kassian is the real deal

They called Kassian a "Raging Bull" when they aquired him... so far he looks more like a lost puppy.

#17 luongo.is.god

luongo.is.god

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I think we were lulled into a false sense of security when the playoffs began thanks to our 9-1 regular season record without danny in the lineup. However, many of us forgot (or chose to ignore) that the vast majority of those wins came against non-playoff teams and the games we DID win were by no means blowouts. You can't overstate the importance of daniel to our lineup, we become a completely different team. Like many people were saying, there is also a definite trickle-down effect where each line improves and the mindset of the team changes. Who knows where we'd be if we had him from game 1?

So, all in all, f**k duncan keith
Posted Image Posted Image
"Another game for MILOS!!!"......................................................................................................................................................."Fighting for a legacy"

Posted Image

Canucks - So good that even when they lose, they sometimes win!

#18 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

Shanahan didn't mention the fact that was it a late hit or not on Keith. That a lone should give Keith another 4 games, for purposly hitting another player that did not even have the puck, nor did he even touch the puck. Torres hit at least, less then a second ago, Hossa had the puck, so yes, it's looking like a joke, and welcome back Daniel Sedin.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#19 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,453 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

I know I do not have to really expound (BIG word alert) on it, but after watching last night's game I could not help but wonder where we would have been with Dank this whole time. Last night just shined a light on how important he really is to our game plan. Meanwhile, Keith just keeps chugging along in his series like nothing ever happened.

Obviously, with him we have 2 more superstars. Without him Hank becomes just an average player.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#20 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

Its not what you do, its who you are, when you get suspended. Thats the problem. They should scrap this "first time offender
crap and treat everyone the same way, regardless if you are the star of the team or not. Just because its a fourth liner
that goes down, it doesnt mean they arent human and dont get the same injuries as another player. The impact of the game
tam may be different...but everyone should be treated the same . I hate it when people say oh Keith only got five games
because he was a first time offender...that makes me sick to my stomach...YOu did the crime, you pay for the crime.

Its like saying, "oh this is the first time you murdered someone, I will give you a slap on the wrist"
Life is short, LIVE IT

#21 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Shanahan didn't mention the fact that was it a late hit or not on Keith. That a lone should give Keith another 4 games, for purposly hitting another player that did not even have the puck, nor did he even touch the puck. Torres hit at least, less then a second ago, Hossa had the puck, so yes, it's looking like a joke, and welcome back Daniel Sedin.

The Torres and Brown hits were hockey hits. Torres will be a scape goat. Once again the NHL will show what they really are. The Keith hit was an elbow thrown to injure. If the NHL had wanted to send a serious message going into playoffs they would have suspended him for 20 games. Since when did blind side hits (how is this defined anyways) become a defence against physical play? Bottom line with Torres is that he is built like a tank and when he hits there is a real chance of injury. He plays no different than that TO icon Tie Domi. Domi a TO legend, Torres a cheap shot artist who hits to hurt. Go figure. There was a time when players had to keep their heads up and make a decision whether to expose themselves to a hit or not. Scott Stevens a legend, Raffi Torres cheap shot artist. Who is really being fooled here?

Used to be if you were going up against a Torres type player you had someone in the lineup who would play him one on one. Hit him before he could do the same. The game is now descending into ice play being determined by a bunch of people who have never played an NHL game. Sorry but the weasel from Calgary who passes himself off as a sports reporter or Ron MacLean are not hockey players. Take the body armour off these players and let them play.

#22 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

Just wait till Keith gets Henriked ;)

http://Posted Image

#23 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Just wait till Keith gets Henriked ;)

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=X6zcCciNBPk

hahahahahahahah. even more epic.

#24 geezer2

geezer2

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

some good points in this thread Torres hit looks a lot like being Kronwalled. Not saying he shouldn't be punished (relax joel K ) but do think that Keith should have been punished more for a more obvious attempt to injure ( successfully). Kharma hit the hawks.. too bad Keith isn't the one carted off Quit whining Chicago you sound like us

#25 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

hahahahahahahah. even more epic.

It was posted on the Green men site i love how they mixed the Inception soundtrack into it.
http://Posted Image

#26 apple123

apple123

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

consider for a second the short handed goals against in game 2. series is probably tied 2 - 2 right now wth daniel in the line up, because those shorty's probably translate to 1 goal for, not 2 against. or even 0 goals would have changed that game.

if duncan keith ever shows up on the street in vancouver i'm going to plant an elbow on his chin so hard that it ruins his summer, which hopefully the yotes will start for him soon.

torres <3. karma.

screw chicago

#27 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

some good points in this thread Torres hit looks a lot like being Kronwalled. Not saying he shouldn't be punished (relax joel K ) but do think that Keith should have been punished more for a more obvious attempt to injure ( successfully). Kharma hit the hawks.. too bad Keith isn't the one carted off Quit whining Chicago you sound like us

I totally agree that Keith's hit was a blatant attempt to injure. When you are clearly intending on injuring a player, no 'first-time offender' bs should be used to help him out.Double-standard for stars hurting people in this league. I don't actually think Torres was trying to injure Hossa, but they will make him pay for his past hits that were far worse. James Neal's hit only got one game ,but he's a star. Neal's hit was so much more malicious than Torres' hit, but he got off easy because there was no injury. Usually Torres is very focused and you can tell he is trying to take someone's head off, but that was not the case on this hit. No blatant targeting at all, but it was late and he did leave the ice.

NHL's suspension criteria:
Are you a star?
Do you have a suspension history?
Did you intend to injure someone? Well, we don't really care as long as there is only minimal injury or if you are a star. Don't worry, if you haven't done something in the past, then we'll pass off your blatant intent to injure like it's no big deal.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 19 April 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#28 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Definitely. Everything gets more calmed down when Daniel is around.
-Henrik is so much more effective because he gets to play with someone who's used to and can play the cycle game
-Daniel is a huge part of our offense and our PP
-When the twins are cycling, it takes a lot of pressure and work away from the defence, keeping them more well rested and ready for future shifts
-Lines make sense again. Everyone plays better in their specific roles. Having that top LW spot filled makes everyone be able to be in those specific roles

And we didn't play well in the last 8 games without Daniel. We won 7/8 yeah, but 7 of this games, and 6 of those wins were against non-playoff teams.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#29 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Keith's hit on Sedin was 10 times worse than Torres'. Yet Torres will get an indefinite ban until next season. This league is so f'd up it's insane.

#30 chevy55

chevy55

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

if duncan keith ever shows up on the street in vancouver i'm going to plant an elbow on his chin so hard that it ruins his summer, which hopefully the yotes will start for him soon.

torres <3. karma.

screw chicago

uhuh, yeah...sure you are...why would you even state something so assinine?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.