The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Big Is Keith's Cheap Shot Looking Now?!?

Odjickwillkillyou

I know I do not have to really expound (BIG word alert) on it, but after watching last night's game I could not help but wonder where we would have been with Dank this whole time. Last night just shined a light on how important he really is to our game plan. Meanwhile, Keith just keeps chugging along in his series like nothing ever happened.

Is it hindsight? Yes, but it is important to acknowledge that two teams have lost their star players (Alfy, Dank) in the past month due to cheap shots and those teams could suffer because of it. Consider this me venting, but I am curious about whether some of you think we would be in a different situation had Dank been healthy this whole time. I understand injuries are part of the game, but not when they can be avoided by playing the right way. And this obviously could have been avoided.

Your bang on. I never underestimated the importance of Daniel to this team. It settles everything down completely. When the twins are together the puck possession alone takes pressure off our Defense, Daniel passes almost as well as hank, they get a ton of attention; thus, giving Kesler et al easier d pairings and more space to move . If Daniel was here from the start this series would be over. Let's just hope our team can withstand the do or die pressure and do what the Flyers did to the Bruins to years ago.

I believe !

You can't blame the Canucks taking the first week off on Daniel's absence. They finished the regular season just fine without him.

It was a strong Kings team that came into the series with more heart than the Canucks, that's why they got up 3-0.

I am not taking anything away from the Kings, but you have to know that Danny's presence causes them to play different defensively and obviously makes our PP much better. I am not saying we would have swept them, but I am saying that we would most likely be tied up at two apiece. Especially given the 1-0 game last Sunday.

Canucks would have probably won in 6 with Daniel from the get-go. Instead we'll probably lose in 6 now thanks to Keith.

So basically we lose our best forward for a few weeks and lose our entire season, and in return Keith gets a 5 game suspension.

Part of me is glad Hossa is in hospital right now. Karma is finally working her sweet magic. If the league won't find a way to teach these guys a lesson, then other players will have to, and that's what Torres did.

Is it hindsight? Yes, but it is important to acknowledge that two teams have lost their star players (Alfy, Dank) in the past month due to cheap shots and those teams could suffer because of it. Consider this me venting, but I am curious about whether some of you think we would be in a different situation had Dank been healthy this whole time. I understand injuries are part of the game, but not when they can be avoided by playing the right way. And this obviously could have been avoided.

It just reaffirms my belief that next season, someone on the Canucks roster has to give Keith the Darren McCarty on Claude Lemiuex treatment.

You can't prevent players from taking cheap shots at your stars, but since the league refuses to do anything significant about it (unless you're a relative nobody like Raffi Torres or Aaron Rome) you have to take care of it yourself.

If Shannahan actually took a more agressive approach. He has made a mockery of the NHL. Kieth should have sat out the remainder games + a few 1 round games. It would have sent a serious message that we are not putting up with it. You see the impact a leading scorer has with a team. You want to take a run at a 4 liner. Fine, but if you are head hunting a top scorer, the demeanor of the hit is definitely intent to hurt not just a player, but a team. The hit on Hossa follows suit. I was really surprised that the Brown hit on H Sedin wasn't reviewed. That was a plan and simple blind side hit. The NHL needs to really take the borderline hits and showcase the hitters so they dont just stroll down the ice until they see someone in a vunderable position and take the strides to make a hit. What was the difference on the charging call on Kass and the Brown hit on Hank. It is frustrating to watch and to keep watching when there is this type of crap going on. I love hockey, but the NHL is moving backward in there ways to help out the game. Shannahan still has friends playing in the game. How the hell is that fair. The discipline actions should be made from more than one x-player only removed for a few years. I am just glad the Canucks are embracing Dannys return and eager to see it continue.

Rant over and out!! Haha

I was thinking about it a minute ago and remembered when Booth fought Richards after he came back from his concussion a couple years ago. Booth was NOT a fighter, but felt the need to address it personally and felt some sort of closure once that happened. Let's be honest; Dank will not fight Keith because that is not who he is, but I think he should. Keith is in NO way a fighter and that has been shown in his slap fights with Burr. Even if Dank drops the gloves and hugs and holds him, he will still earn respect and maybe put some closure to this. It is not like Keith is going to pummel him. And to be honest, most of the time in these retribution laden fights the other guy does not really do much besides defend himself because he understands it is part of the game. I just want to see Dank stick up for himself once. Maybe Zack and Dale can take him into the barn in the off-season and give some training Youngblood style eh? If Youngblood can do it, Dank can too!

Canucks would have probably won in 6 with Daniel from the get-go. Instead we'll probably lose in 6 now thanks to Keith.

So basically we lose our best forward for a few weeks and lose our entire season, and in return Keith gets a 5 game suspension.

Part of me is glad Hossa is in hospital right now. Karma is finally working her sweet magic. If the league won't find a way to teach these guys a lesson, then other players will have to, and that's what Torres did.

I think we were lulled into a false sense of security when the playoffs began thanks to our 9-1 regular season record without danny in the lineup. However, many of us forgot (or chose to ignore) that the vast majority of those wins came against non-playoff teams and the games we DID win were by no means blowouts. You can't overstate the importance of daniel to our lineup, we become a completely different team. Like many people were saying, there is also a definite trickle-down effect where each line improves and the mindset of the team changes. Who knows where we'd be if we had him from game 1?

So, all in all, f**k duncan keith

Shanahan didn't mention the fact that was it a late hit or not on Keith. That a lone should give Keith another 4 games, for purposly hitting another player that did not even have the puck, nor did he even touch the puck. Torres hit at least, less then a second ago, Hossa had the puck, so yes, it's looking like a joke, and welcome back Daniel Sedin.

I know I do not have to really expound (BIG word alert) on it, but after watching last night's game I could not help but wonder where we would have been with Dank this whole time. Last night just shined a light on how important he really is to our game plan. Meanwhile, Keith just keeps chugging along in his series like nothing ever happened.

Its not what you do, its who you are, when you get suspended. Thats the problem. They should scrap this "first time offender

crap and treat everyone the same way, regardless if you are the star of the team or not. Just because its a fourth liner

that goes down, it doesnt mean they arent human and dont get the same injuries as another player. The impact of the game

tam may be different...but everyone should be treated the same . I hate it when people say oh Keith only got five games

because he was a first time offender...that makes me sick to my stomach...YOu did the crime, you pay for the crime.

Its like saying, "oh this is the first time you murdered someone, I will give you a slap on the wrist"

Archived