The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ahl Calder Cup Playoffs - R1: Chicago Wolves Vs San Antonio Rampage

NuxFan09

3rd period starting. Shots were 8-6 in the 2nd period in favour of the Rampage. The only goal was that of Steve Reinprecht for the Wolves on the PP. Nolan Baumgartner and Brad Hunt drew the assists.

The Wolves are starting this 3rd period with a clean slate and the momentum. A few more goals and more steady play from Lack is all that is needed for the Wolves to tie this series.

The Wolves successfully killed the penalty to Sauve. The Wolves are 4 for 4 on the PK, a key statistic. The PK was perhaps the most glaring area the Wolves needed to improve if they were going to win this series.

Sounds like Steve Reinprecht was the hero of that latest kill.

SCORE!! It's Reinprecht with his 2nd of the game! Not watching, just listening, but it sounds like it was a shot that straight out beat Rampage goalie Grumet-Morris.

Assists to Mark Mancari and Yann Sauve.

2-1 Wolves!

And yet somehow Gillis didn't think that Reinprecht was an upgrade over any of our bottom 6 centers...

I know this is the AHL, but Reinprecht has been pretty clutch for them this season, plus he has a stanley cup ring. Something tells me he could have brought more than Pahlsson did on the third line.

Game 4 Recap

Chicago wins 3-1

Shots: 31-15 San Antonio

Goals:

1st period

SA Michael Caruso (Jon Matsumoto)

2nd period

CHI Steve Reinprecht (Nolan Baumgartner, Brad Hunt) (PP)

3rd period

CHI Steve Reinprecht (Mark Mancari, Yann Sauve)

CHI Tim Miller (Mark Mancari, Nolan Baumgartner) (EN)

With the win, the Wolves knot up this series 2-2 and home ice advantage allows them to play the deciding Game 5 in Chicago. The story of this game was the play of Wolves goaltender Eddie Lack in the 1st period, in which the Rampage outshot the Wolves 16-4 and went up 1-0 but couldn't convert on 3 PP opportunities. From there, the play was fairly even but Eddie Lack shut the door and the Wolves got the goals they needed.

At the end of the day, with Lack on his game and the team having improved their PK and defensive play I like their chances in Game 5 but I'm still a little concerned about the offense. The Wolves just scraped by in Games 3 and 4 but I suppose that's just the way they play and they're comfortable with it. They weren't a high scoring team by any means and they've always been able to rely on Lack for solid goaltending pretty much every game.

Archived