Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Is This The End Of The Luongo Era?

Speculation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#31 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Why would the OP start two identical threads with virtually the same titles...
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#32 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

If Gillis can move Luongo and his massive 12 year contract that only just began last year....a goalie that has consistently choked in big playoff games.....who has a tendency to get emotionally distracted to the point that it effects his play (ie. after letting in ONE suspect goal, may let in another within a few minutes because his head is still stewing about the previous one)....at 33 and seems to be in the decline....

even if he gets NOTHING in return other than the cap relief and maybe even has to include another player to sweeten the pot.....

......even so, he'd be one of the greatest GMs in the history of the NHL.
Good luck to him.

Oh my, words cannot describe how bad this statement is.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#33 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

For Luongo fans, but for fans of the Canucks as a team, It's a great news because we kept the younger and better goaltender.

I think "better" is a stretch. If people think we are just gonna switch Lou for Schneids and win the cup I think they are in for a rude awakening. I hope I am wrong and we come all the way back and go on to win the Cup but it just isn't realistic.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#34 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

It was a couple of good games by Schneider, and ones in which the whole team played better and gave him lots of help. How quickly people forget that Luo was actually very good in those first 2 games without any real help from his team, and sometimes with them actually getting in his way or falling on top of him. If it hadn't been for Luo those games, especially game 1, would have likely been blowouts like the Pitts/Philly game last night.

And how easily people forgive Schneider while holding a grudge, even an undeserved one, against Luo. Had Luo been in net in game 3 and had played the exact same way, people would have blamed him for the LA goal, calling it poor rebound control and said he lost us the series by letting in that one goal. And they would have blamed him for the sole LA goal in game 4 (though it didn't really matter) but seem to ignore the fact that Schneider probably should have had that one. If we can see that Schneider is awesome even though he makes a few mistakes (as all humans do), why can't we accept the same for Luo?

I don't know why they decided to start Schneider last night but I won't be surprised to see him back in net for the rest of this series. He is awesome and for whatever reason it's working with him in net right now and when everything is on the line, you don't tamper more than necessary. That being said, if we make it to the next round, hockey gods willing, I'd still expect to see Luo start.

Edited by poetica, 19 April 2012 - 01:16 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#35 iamspuzzum

iamspuzzum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

I love Lu, but even he knows it.. just look in his eyes when he's on the bench.

Schneider was Vancouver's 1st round pick in '04, so they've been grooming him for this for 8 years.. that's too much effort to just trade all that talent away now.

I'd love to know what Lu said to Schneider at the end of game 4.. his glove was concealing it from the camera. I could see him saying "It's all yours bud, take it and run with it!".

#36 BigUncle16

BigUncle16

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

I think "better" is a stretch. If people think we are just gonna switch Lou for Schneids and win the cup I think they are in for a rude awakening. I hope I am wrong and we come all the way back and go on to win the Cup but it just isn't realistic.

Not at all actually. I think consistent goaltending in the SCF last year would have at least kept us in the game for games 3,4, and 6.
Posted Image

#37 Canuck7611

Canuck7611

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

I know everyone has been saying that Luongo played great in games 1 and 2 bla bla. However if Schneider was in net for those games, I am certain he would have done just as well if not better. People keep on bailing out Luongo by saying that "it was a 5 on 3 PP so cut him some slack".....Bottom line it was a bad goal and Luongo seemingly lets in a puck between the legs every damn game. Schneider simply does not allow these cheap goals on a consistent basis.

While Luongo has been a good goaltender for many years, it's Schneider who can make the critical save to prevent an equalilzer or to prevent a 2 goal margin. With Luongo in a pressure game, there is always the dreaded goal between the legs or the potential of a mental breakdown after a bad goal. 1-0 Kings can become 2-0 and then 3-0 in a matter of minutes with Luongo. Schneider plays without the same pressure and the whole team plays more confident knowing that they won't be letdown at a crucial part of the game.

Schneider is the man and thank god it took this long for AV to realize it in the playoffs!!

#38 NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

Believe me. Luo will ask for a trade. Do you think he will want to be a backup???

Believe you? Did you ask him?
Go Canucks Go!!!

#39 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Believe you? Did you ask him?

You think they are going to pay a guy 5 million plus to sit on the bench for 50 games as a backup?

#40 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,174 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

For all the people still thinking about trading Luongo and any associated conversations, CapGeek tweeted this today:

Lots of questions about Roberto Luongo's NTC. He has a full NTC but it does have a few stipulations. #NHL #Canucks

Most pertinent Luongo NTC stipulation is that after final 2013-14 game, he can supply five-team trade list valid through July 15, 2014.

Note that's *trade list*, not *no-trade list* ...

This effective matches the initially reported 5 year clause for Roberto, along with the 7 year clause for us (which would likely be the same idea, but with no team restrictions). It appears this actually takes effect the summer before his 5th year starts, so the 7th would do so as well.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year.

#41 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,602 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

AV is playing schneids over lu because the team seems to play better infront of cory.....lu's contract is not unmovable....the team has an out in five more years....so a team can trade lu then.....
my thought would be, lu to tb.....lecavellier to montreal....leblanc, emelin and tinordi to vancouver with other bodies to make it fair...

I'm betting a three way trade is what might go down, unless TB can do a straight two team trade........in that scenario, I wouldn't want to come out of that without Connolly in there somehow

#42 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

If Luongo does leave, it'll be a sad day for many fans. I even bet Jim Hughson will be sad he can`t do GREAT SAVE LUONGO anymore.

I'm gonna miss the "great save, Loungo!" so much!

#43 iamspuzzum

iamspuzzum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

This may be the dumbest post of all time,lol
Do you think we get Booth for free now because Florida had to pay him so they could trade him?
if they trade him for a 7th round pick we are on the hook for ZERO of his salary and would count ZERO against the cap;however, as someone else stated maybe a Raymond and Lou for Vinny, or Malone and a 1st works.

lol! Guess you've never heard about similar trades where the trading team agreed to pick up part of the tab. It's happened a few times.. it all depends on the details of the trade agreement.

#44 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

if we do trade him to another team, then we would have to pay the rest of his years salary up front to the other team, which would leave us like not a lot of money

Ummmm...... What!?.....

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#45 NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

You think they are going to pay a guy 5 million plus to sit on the bench for 50 games as a backup?

I believe he said 'Luongo will ask for a trade.' Nothing about management paying him to sit on a bench.

I do agree that he won't be a back-up. We don't know what management is thinking or even Luongo for that matter. We will have to wait until the summer to find out what is going to happen. Everyone seems to think Luongo is gone for sure. Most likely scenario is he stays. Who is the more movable goalie? Just saying.
Go Canucks Go!!!

#46 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

I believe he said 'Luongo will ask for a trade.' Nothing about management paying him to sit on a bench.

I do agree that he won't be a back-up. We don't know what management is thinking or even Luongo for that matter. We will have to wait until the summer to find out what is going to happen. Everyone seems to think Luongo is gone for sure. Most likely scenario is he stays. Who is the more movable goalie? Just saying.

Not sure how long you have been watching hockey for but the writing is on the wall Lou is done here. No way you sit a guy for the most important game of the year and then tell him next year that he is number 1 again...

But yeah Cory is definitely the more moveable goalie... but as you know the Canucks would be crazy to get rid of him at this point and will just deal with Lou's contract and his upcoming trade. Good chance they don't even get much back other then unload his contract onto another team.

#47 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Man the media really stirs it up in this city.. amazing how they can drag out all these theories and ideas and people just eat it all up and regurgitate it up on here for the masses.

I'm amazed people can find so much time for all the conjecture and speculation and give any credence to it before all is said and done. Can't we just wait to see what happens? We're in the midst of trying to claw back in a series which we have no business even being in thus far and all people can talk/think about is whether or not luongo's time here will end? If it were up to many canuck fans, it would have ended 4 seasons ago.

Maybe it would have been better for everyone including Lu if it did end back then. it would have prevented threads like this one and so many others from ever being posted.

Edited by Scoobydooby, 19 April 2012 - 02:39 PM.

Posted Image

#48 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

No, he is not going anywhere. If he does, then our salary cap years will be screwed. 2nd he's locked down, he's an NTC, which means he cannot be traded UNLESS he asks to be traded. 3rd, if we do trade him to another team, then we would have to pay the rest of his years salary up front to the other team, which would leave us like not a lot of money, 4th, there needs to be a team WILLING to afford his 12 year contract. And 5th again, HE'S AN NTC!!!!!!!!!! MG would be an idiot again to screw up the salary cap and to trade him!!

Wow,, what a post.
I would advice against making such dumb posts in the future. Some ppl on CDC might actually believe this nonsense and it causes a lot of confusion.

#49 NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Not sure how long you have been watching hockey for but the writing is on the wall Lou is done here. No way you sit a guy for the most important game of the year and then tell him next year that he is number 1 again...

But yeah Cory is definitely the more moveable goalie... but as you know the Canucks would be crazy to get rid of him at this point and will just deal with Lou's contract and his upcoming trade. Good chance they don't even get much back other then unload his contract onto another team.

Been watching hockey since about 2000 but I definitely still consider myself a noob. Well, maybe more like an informed noob.

I am very excited to see what happens. I think your probably right. I just disagree about your take on his value. He puts up above average stats every single year. That is a goalie that a lot of teams might want. I'm not saying he will pull in a superstar, but I am sure someone will be willing to part with some talent for him. What do you think he would bring in? What do you think Schneider would bring?
Go Canucks Go!!!

#50 forevernucks19

forevernucks19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

This may be the dumbest post of all time,lol
Do you think we get Booth for free now because Florida had to pay him so they could trade him?
if they trade him for a 7th round pick we are on the hook for ZERO of his salary and would count ZERO against the cap;however, as someone else stated maybe a Raymond and Lou for Vinny, or Malone and a 1st works.

Then I highly doubt that he would ask for a trade. IF we do sign Schneids, like MG said, I hope we can sign him for 4-5 years, if he wants to stay. Then if Lu goes, the CANUCKS would have to pay the rest of this years salary upfront to another team, which he has 10years left. So I highly doubt the MG is THAT stupid to let him go. You guys are just bashing Lu, just because Schneids has been great, well, Lu has been great too. Instead of having ONE good goalie, like all other teams do, we have TWO great goalies, if one is hurt we have a back up.

#51 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

lol! Guess you've never heard about similar trades where the trading team agreed to pick up part of the tab. It's happened a few times.. it all depends on the details of the trade agreement.

name one

#52 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

as per "Tony Gallagher" on Twitter:

Luongo has an out in his deal in two years,
and whichever club holds his contract has one two years after that,

it's a four year deal now.

this is what people forget...gillis was giving lu a great contract but was protecting the canucks by adding in the out clauses...i don't think he expected lu to finish out his contract.....don't be blinded by the term...

#53 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Elliott Pap@ElliottPap
Rick Bowness on sitting Roberto Luongo: "That was probably the most difficult decision Alain has had to make in our tenure here." #canucks

As per Twitter...can't say I disagree.
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#54 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

As per Twitter...can't say I disagree.

It was the right call though

23NCfNh.png

Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the awesome sig

#55 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

sadly , it is

ill leave it at that
Posted Image

#56 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Been watching hockey since about 2000 but I definitely still consider myself a noob. Well, maybe more like an informed noob.

I am very excited to see what happens. I think your probably right. I just disagree about your take on his value. He puts up above average stats every single year. That is a goalie that a lot of teams might want. I'm not saying he will pull in a superstar, but I am sure someone will be willing to part with some talent for him. What do you think he would bring in? What do you think Schneider would bring?

I think Cory would pull in a top ten first round draft pick and a decent player that is already in the League. Maybe not a top 2 defenceman but should be a 2nd line defence or 2nd line forward. Mainly because of his age and the skill shown so far.

I think Lou would be one of those trades where it is more of a trade off in salaries. One team is taking on 5 and a half mill for 5 years until the out clause kicks in, they send us a player or players that are not fitting in there with dubious contracts attached to them. And with Lou he is in control of where he goes so he will tell the Nucks what teams he will go to... so their hands are somewhat tied as they have to make a deal with the teams listed. And what if he just says Tampa... then Yzerman can just offer a 2nd round and a bag of used pucks and take it or leave it!! Their hands are tied with a player with a NTC.

#57 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78,286 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Canucks benching Roberto Luongo ‘most difficult decision’ Alain Vigneault has had to make: Rick Bowness http://bit.ly/JaIWzt

307mg00.jpg

#58 treekiller64

treekiller64

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

AV is playing schneids over lu because the team seems to play better infront of cory.....lu's contract is not unmovable....the team has an out in five more years....so a team can trade lu then.....
my thought would be, lu to tb.....lecavellier to montreal....leblanc, emelin and tinordi to vancouver with other bodies to make it fair...

no the habs fired gauthier! more like gomez straight up for luongo,it makes sense. gomez would be closer to home and lou could speak french to the fans while he sits on the bench watching a future great develop under REAL fan pressure

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.