The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Overreaction

Edler's Broken Stickz

We all know Schnieds has a high trade value and is just getting higher, but would a Schnieder trade really get us a lot because we really would just be trading away his rights to a team because he is set to be an RFA?

This make sense??

It's not just goalies, big name players in general have often eluded Vancouver in free agency. Why? Who knows, a plethora of reasons really, and it changes from player to player. One reason would be that Vancouver is a small market city when compared to cities such as Chicago, New York, LA, etc. in America and even Toronto and Montreal in Canada. We have a better hockey culture than some of those cities, but not a better city on the world stage. It's hard for Vancouverites to realize this because Toronto is a long way away and in between here and there are the prairies, but it's true. We also don't have great weather for a lot of people's tastes (though I love it). Many more factors can be added that have nothing to do with the fans.

Vancouver has had alot of great players but rarely any great goalies, because people will turn on the starter no matter what. Every single time, the same thing happens with our goalies. I don't think Vancouver's hockey culture is better than some cities you mentioned unless hockey culture is now jumping on and off the bandwagon after every single game.

I live in Montreal and I already find Habs fans incredibly annoying but from what I read on CDC, Vancouver fans are so much worse and it really is no surprise not many likes us and goalies don't want to come here because they'll be the ones getting the blame no matter what. Same thing every single time, with every single goalie.

I think people keep forgetting that Lou kept us in games 1 and 2. We lost those games because of stupid defensive breakdowns and a struggling team in front of him. I also don't remember seeing anywhere that they are going to be playing Schneider next game. Yes, Schneider may have had back to back excellent games. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Lu got the nod for this next game. With our power play starting to show the kind of precision that it should, and Daniel Sedin back.... We got a tough task ahead of us. If we can see the second line start to click like they were earlier this season? I think we can be hopeful of a comeback. Take it as it comes, and here's hoping that we can make something amazing happen.

FA doesn't have anything to do with this. Even if a great goalie comes, or if a young goalie with potential plays here, they won't do great if the fans blame everything on them and this is why Vancouver is a goalie graveyard.

Players dont come here cause our so called "fans" hate on them every time they sneeze the wrong way. there is so much pressure from fans for being a Canuck. Luongo looses two games were he played well and all of a sudden we should trade him?

Players dont come here cause our so called "fans" hate on them every time they sneeze the wrong way. there is so much pressure from fans for being a Canuck. Luongo looses two games were he played well and all of a sudden we should trade him?

You think this isn't the same in every big market? Or even in small markets where they really care about hockey like Minnesota? You think the players are actually scrutinized MORE in Vancouver than in other cities? Really? What is wrong with some of you lol.

yeah this is a huge overreaction. The only reason the media are giving it this much attention is because some Vancouver "fans" are giving it the reaction that they are looking for... Luongo gave the canucks the best chance to win in the first two games, i don't remember any more then maybe 1 goal that Schneider might have stopped. Luongo was only switched out for Schneider because the rest of the team didn't show up at all in those two games. It had nothing to do with Luongo's play and the stats mean crap all because they don't show how the rest of the team played in front of the goalie. In game 3 Schneider faced 20 shots! that is nothing compared to what Luongo faced, and the quality of the shots were totally different in the two games... also there is no way to know that Schneider can keep his stats where they are for an extra 30-40 games more then what he already plays. Also there is no guarantee that he will even be in Vancouver a couple years from now, the canucks don't exactly have a ton of cap room so what if he signs for 1 or 2 more years and continues to do well? then he will be a UFA and will be free to sign with any team in the league and could easily sign for big money on another team with lot's of cap room, then you have neither Luongo or Schneider and have to either hope that Lack can be a starter or that you can find a free agent that is nothing short of a goalie god, because that's the only type of goalie that will ever work in Vancouver....

yeah this is a huge overreaction. The only reason the media are giving it this much attention is because some Vancouver "fans" are giving it the reaction that they are looking for... Luongo gave the canucks the best chance to win in the first two games, i don't remember any more then maybe 1 goal that Schneider might have stopped. Luongo was only switched out for Schneider because the rest of the team didn't show up at all in those two games. It had nothing to do with Luongo's play and the stats mean crap all because they don't show how the rest of the team played in front of the goalie. In game 3 Schneider faced 20 shots! that is nothing compared to what Luongo faced, and the quality of the shots were totally different in the two games... also there is no way to know that Schneider can keep his stats where they are for an extra 30-40 games more then what he already plays. Also there is no guarantee that he will even be in Vancouver a couple years from now, the canucks don't exactly have a ton of cap room so what if he signs for 1 or 2 more years and continues to do well? then he will be a UFA and will be free to sign with any team in the league and could easily sign for big money on another team with lot's of cap room, then you have neither Luongo or Schneider and have to either hope that Lack can be a starter or that you can find a free agent that is nothing short of a goalie god, because that's the only type of goalie that will ever work in Vancouver....

Archived