The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Greatest Fan!

J.I.A.H.N

I am taking a time out, on the thinking to hard and wanted to relay to you a short story of my dad who passed away 3 years ago. Man, he got mad at the TV when they were playing, he would be screaming at the refs, the stupid plays, and waved off goals. It was pretty funny to my younger brother and I

So I thought I'd tell you about the time the Canucks were playing Toronto ( which was my dads 2nd favorite team) Anyways, to keep it short. My dad was in front of the TV, like every Saturday night.

My dads head was bobing and weaving, his shoulders pushing forward like he was skating. We could hardly see the TV, because he had pushed his chair so close. Anyways, my mother brings in the Spaggetti, which we had on every hockey night, she lovingly placed the plate on his lap, being careful not to obscure the TV.......I could tell he never even noticed she had brought it in and placed on his lap.

After several minutes, my dad jumped up quickly, yelling something (WE could not tell what lauguage) since he only spoke English we thought. Then we heard him Yell, "who put that there? referring to the plate full of spagetti.

When, my mom ran into the room, she started laughing as my dad who had spaggetti hanging from his head and the TV could not be seen for pasta.....my dad blamed my mom, who to this day, at the ripe age of 84 still gut roars at the story and the vision of my dad.

My brother and I never spoke a word the entire time the mess was getting cleaned up, and both in our 50's we both eat spaggetti most Canuck games, except we use a tray! Thank you Vancouver Canucks and Dad for the memory.

Anyone care to share?

Sorry to hear about your dad man, my dad passed away 7 years ago when I was 12, he was a big fan too. I don't really have any funny memories with him and the Canucks besides Game seven of the series with Calgary where we lost in OT and got so mad i drew a picture of Iginla taking a number 2 in the cup, I was like eleven so that was pretty immature, damn.

My little sister was a huge fan and passed away a few years back. She was superstitious and for every canucks game she had to have the jerseys and memorabilia in all of their designated spots, including a massive Todd Bertuzzi gatorade cardboard cut out we got from 7-11 at one point. The Canucks are one thing that still bring us together every season even though she's on to better places now.

Thanks for the good wishes! The great thing for me is that the pain of his loss has faded, and the good memories have stayed. I still think about my dad yelling at the Canucks and jumping around like a jack in the box when the Canucks had possesion of the puck! LOL

I still talk to him, when there is a play that excites me. It's a funny thing, but I know he is watching.

I still remember the first game he ever went to, which was an exhibition game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, the first year, so all of Vancouver and the Island were a buzz. Anyways, Eddy Shack ( His favorite player) came down and did a spin-o-rama in front of the Canuck net, then popped it into the top corner. He talked about it for years like it was Bobby Orr's famous goal, where he flies through the air. ( Which is my most greatest hockey moment! ) By the way, I hate the Bruins now, but back then, it was 50/50 unless the Bruins were playing the Canucks.

You know it really is fantastic being a fan and building those moments. And some posters actually question our rights to have an opinion, they have no idea! LOL Sadly, he developed Alzheimer desease and didn't watch hockey his last couple of years, but every time I came down and visit him, I would tell him about our Vancouver Canucks. You could still see his eyes light up, though he never spoke.

You young people, don't ever take these moments for granted. They make your heart beat!

Go Canucks go!

all great stories! My grandfather who is a HUGE Canucks fan, has been in the hospital for over a month now and is recovering from a serious broken neck. The chances were slim of him making it it through surgery and all that but he pulled through. Everytime i visited him even when he couldn't talk due to breathing tubes down his throat, id always tell him what was going on with the canucks and how bad Lu stunk it up the previous night :lol:, and he would always give me the thumbs up. And now since he has been recovering well, every Canucks playoff game i have been up there in the hospital watching it with him and he freaks the nurses out as he yells YAHOO! when we score,

He like a lot of old Canucks fans obvs havn't seen them win a cup and wants to very badly. Im praying for our boys to come back and take this series, i know its possible.

They told my family and I my grandpa had a 5 percent chance of living after his fall, anything is possible.

C'mon Nucks!!

I love spaghetti, but not on my head. Damn I love spaghetti! Thanks for the memories.

Thanks for reminding me of Eddie Shack, he was so entertaining, and I knew it wasn't Lanny Mcdonald I was trying to remember..

Sorry to hear about your dad man, my dad passed away 7 years ago when I was 12, he was a big fan too. I don't really have any funny memories with him and the Canucks besides Game seven of the series with Calgary where we lost in OT and got so mad i drew a picture of Iginla taking a number 2 in the cup, I was like eleven so that was pretty immature, damn.

thank you for sharing. though my grandfather was no canucks fan, he certainly was a passionate sports fan and a great guy. he would "jinx" the players of opposing teams on TV by pointing a "love" hand signal at opposing players on tv haha. worked every time. some of the best memories of my life. a WW2 veteran, an ace pilot, and an all round baller. miss him more than i can tell, and am sure you all know how that feels.

I loved your story. :)

I won't retell mine...been done a few times here. My Mom was a huge fan...it was 5 years ago last Saturday that we lost her.

But they live on with us every game, don't they.

Cheers to spaghetti. And our Canucks.

Archived