Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IMyMeMine

Willie Mitchell Offers His Thoughts On Luongo

70 posts in this topic

Yup.

That last playoff game against the Ducks Luongo was unbelievable. Probably one of the best games a Canucks goalie has ever played.

I wasn't very interested in hockey at the time and Luongo's play that season captivated me so much and got me hooked again. I didn't focus much on hockey between the 2 lockouts but I remember watching every game in the 06-07 season with my jaw dropping at Lu's saves. He was so confident he intimidated shooters consistently. We had guys like Jeff Cowan and Josh Green on the team and Lu won 47 games. It was damn near godly.

Part of me thinks that that season set the bar unreasonably high for the fans in terms of his performance.

I appreciate Willie's comments. I agree completely with what he said and that Lu doesn't deserve the type of negative media that seems to shadow his every move.

However, there is a paranoid side of me that suspects his comments were meant to drive a wedge between Lu and the Canucks franchise. After all, you can see the controversy that is hidden in his compliments to Lu.

i always liked mitchell, he was a great defender for the canucks when he played with us. freaking malkin cheapshot gave him a bad concussion. :(

I remember the first game he played against detroit.... we never ever beat detroit! But cause of Luongo we stole that game!

The Canucks have the one of the best if not the best goal tending duo in the NHL...be happy...'CBS CARES'

Like I've said many times, Luongo will be run out of this town like Naslund before him because he was blamed for many things that were clearly not his fault.

Oh well this is just the way things are here in Vancouver, fans who can't appreciate what they have. We'll be having this discussion again in 3 - 5 years, only it'll be Schneider being run outta town then.

True statements. But maybe he is hoping that Luomgo gets put back in this series for.....ummmmm...... no reason at all lol.

Man, i wish we still had Mitchell. He's a class act and he is the type of defender we sorely need right now. Maybe he will come back to Vancouver one day.

Corys style right now kinda reminds me of a mix of Luongo of 06/07 to Thomas.

I think Willie is just stirring it up and he said he'll talk more about it after the series.... Obviously being a troll. Luongo played better in Game 5 vs. Boston then he did in 06/07 vs. Ducks where he could of took it to 6 if he didn't talk to the ref. He has improved over then and Cory is just evolving as a goalie. Right now Cory is playing his best hockey! Luongo knows it which is why he supports him on his journey! We all want to win and these guys are supporting each other because it's the CUP!