The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Mitchell Offers His Thoughts On Luongo

IMyMeMine

I was behind the Nucks bench in Dallas during the HNIC game where his chiclets were knocked out by the puck and he still stayed on for his shift in the last minute and blocked two shots. Willie the Warrior fo sho. I could not believe his intensity that night. He was a mess when he got to the bench.

Corys style right now kinda reminds me of a mix of Luongo of 06/07 to Thomas.

I think Willie is just stirring it up and he said he'll talk more about it after the series.... Obviously being a troll. Luongo played better in Game 5 vs. Boston then he did in 06/07 vs. Ducks where he could of took it to 6 if he didn't talk to the ref. He has improved over then and Cory is just evolving as a goalie. Right now Cory is playing his best hockey! Luongo knows it which is why he supports him on his journey! We all want to win and these guys are supporting each other because it's the CUP!

If we had the Luongo of 2007 still, there would be no goalie controversy whatsoever.

The sad thing is Luongo hasn't been the same since his groin injury, changing his style of play especially.

And to those who are going to bring up statistics on how he's had better numbers in recent years than 2007, he's been playing on a far superior team since then, which is why his numbers have gone up even though only playing above average; those who witnessed Luongo in 2007 know how unbeatable he was compared to now.

I wasn't very interested in hockey at the time and Luongo's play that season captivated me so much and got me hooked again. I didn't focus much on hockey between the 2 lockouts but I remember watching every game in the 06-07 season with my jaw dropping at Lu's saves. He was so confident he intimidated shooters consistently. We had guys like Jeff Cowan and Josh Green on the team and Lu won 47 games. It was damn near godly.

Part of me thinks that that season set the bar unreasonably high for the fans in terms of his performance.

I really appreciate what Mitchell says here in light of the goalie situation here in Vancouver; he calls Luongo's goaltending back in his first year with the Canucks as the best he's seen on a team he's played on...even better than Quick (his current team mate).

http://www.vancouver...4301/story.html

I remember his first season where he was virtually unbeatable; he carried us on his back when our team didn't have the offensive talent they do now. Even though Lui allowed 4 goals in Game 1 vs. Dallas, he was extremely solid and maintained his composure well into the 4th OT period.

I tried searching, but there doesn't seem to be a thread on this article so far.

Archived