The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Mitchell Offers His Thoughts On Luongo

IMyMeMine

Wow ... 2006 seems like such a long long time ago. I disagree with most of you who said that Luongo was at his best in 2006/07. I believe he is a better goalie today than he was back in 2006. His glove is held higher (more active), his lateral movement is better.

So he is better than when he was 2006. Having said that, as good as Luongo's been this year ... Schneider was better. Schneider is younger, technically stronger, and mentally stronger.

Luongo learned to the play butterfly style since joining in 2006. Schneider grew up playing the new butterfly style. Its not a question of Luongo not playing as well ... its a matter of today's younger goalies' are better trained in the new butterfly style.

Most of the new goalies today (under 25)

I appreciate Michell's comment and I do agree with him. However, I think this goal controversy is getting blown-out of proportion. This series shouldn't be concentrated who we keep in the future, what the team should be focused on right now is a win for the next three games.

I just hope this isn't distracting the team's focus. Lu has been great on games 1 and 2 but LA knows his weak spots. Thus, LA is able to score against him more easily and giving us the disadvantage to come back up (considering we have been having a lot of troubles scoring during the season). However, LA never played against Canucks with Schneids on the net until game 3. I think now, they are trying to figure out how to solve him. I would rather have them score 1 goal than 4 goals in the remaining 3 games.

As much as I would love Lu to come back and play again sometime this series, our chances of winning the next 3 games is greater with Schneids on net. What matters right now each that we come out of the next games with a win. Everything else should be halted until the end of the series.

Like I've said many times, Luongo will be run out of this town like Naslund before him because he was blamed for many things that were clearly not his fault.

Oh well this is just the way things are here in Vancouver, fans who can't appreciate what they have. We'll be having this discussion again in 3 - 5 years, only it'll be Schneider being run outta town then.

You guys have to understand, there's no point in re signing willie MItchell, because he is behind players like Hamhius, Salo, Edler, and Bieksa in our depth chart. If he's on our team, it means he is a bottom paring defencemen, and why the hell should we pay a bottom 6 guy 3.5 million??? It doesn't make sense at all. And no, if MItchell replaces any of our current top 4 defencemens, that's a downgrade. This is why he is no longer here. MIke gillis wants Defencemens that are not only limited to playing just all out defence, but defencemens that's got game offensively too. Keith Ballard and Dan Hamhius were proven guys that can play defence and also put up some offence on top of that play on the powerplay and the penalty kill. Willie Mitchell is no power player nor is he really an offensive defencemen. He's also not very fast, Keep in mind, I am talking at the time when we acquired Hamhius and Ballard who ultimately replaced Ohlund and Mitchell. Mitchell is doing well for the role in L.A. But really, if he was in Vancouver he be a bottom 6 defencemen. So thats why he's no longer here. And he we also didn't need him, cause we still won the Division title without him.

I really appreciate what Mitchell says here in light of the goalie situation here in Vancouver; he calls Luongo's goaltending back in his first year with the Canucks as the best he's seen on a team he's played on...even better than Quick (his current team mate).

http://www.vancouver...4301/story.html

I remember his first season where he was virtually unbeatable; he carried us on his back when our team didn't have the offensive talent they do now. Even though Lui allowed 4 goals in Game 1 vs. Dallas, he was extremely solid and maintained his composure well into the 4th OT period.

I tried searching, but there doesn't seem to be a thread on this article so far.

Archived