The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Best Deal We Can Get For Luongo

Purcell is a risk because his points might be generated by how much attention Stamkos and St.Louis get. Hedmen on the other hand would be rediculous. The most feared D-pairing/ Goalie combo right now is arguably Weber/Suter/Rinne. Now Imagine Edler/Hedmen/Schneider, backed up by Hamhuis and Bieksa. The twin towers on defence with one of the best goalies in the league backing them up.

Edler: 6'3" Hedmen: 6'6"

215ibs 230ibs

And obviously I don't need to read out Schneider's stats.

Purcell is a risk because his points might be generated by how much attention Stamkos and St.Louis get. Hedmen on the other hand would be rediculous. The most feared D-pairing/ Goalie combo right now is arguably Weber/Suter/Rinne. Now Imagine Edler/Hedmen/Schneider, backed up by Hamhuis and Bieksa. The twin towers on defence with one of the best goalies in the league backing them up.

215ibs 230ibs

We need to keep in mind that LA has Bernier in the wings, and STL also has Elliot and Halak to deal with...Assuming that we only have a couple teams to deal with, maybe less than that. We shouldn't really entice Yzerman to look elsewhere..

DON'T TRADE WITH TORONTO!!! I wouldn't want Kessel or Lupul and none of their other players shines, well Jake Gardiner but I can't see him becoming Norris' worthy anytime soon. Our best bet is either Florida and Tampa with players like Garrison, Purcell, Hedman, Fleischman (sp) and Conelly all in the mix.

From Tampa:

Hedman, Connolly, Tampa's 1st.

From Vancouver:

Luongo, our 1st, Schroeder, Corrado, Polasek, and Ballard if he fits under the cap and is needed to make the deal. (So Ballard is an option)

Tampa saves about $2.0 million off the cap, adds some defensive prospects, keeps a 1st rounder. and gets a top notch goalie, (Without Ballard) but nudges closer to the cap if they pick up Ballard.

Win-win.

215ibs 230ibs

That's actually no where near the best deal we can get for Lu. Here is something that can be plausible for both teams:

Vancouver receives: Taylor Hall + Sam Gagner + Magnus Paajarvi

Edmonton receives: Roberto Luongo + Keith Ballard + Mason Raymond + Manny Malhotra + 2012 2nd round pick

Daniel - Henrik - Booth

Kesler - Gagner - Hall

Burrows - Schroeder - Jensen

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Kassian to AHL for more development

or

Vancouver receives: Jordan Staal + Zybnek Michalek + 2012 1st round pick

Pittsburgh receives: Roberto Luongo + Manny Malhotra + 2012 1st rounder

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Booth - Staal - Kesler

Higgins - Schroeder - Jensen

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Ballard - Michalek

Luongo in a package for Joe Thorton.

Both players and teams need the shake up. Thorton is possibly the second best playmaker behind Hank, and would do wonders for kesler (assuming Kesler would be willing to play the wing with Joe). Luongo would bring much needed goaltending to San Jose. They are the same age. Thorton has a bigger cap hit, but is only signed for two more seasons. He also brings some more size and leadership.

There are only a few teams in need of a #1 goalie he might be willing to move to. One of those teams that often gets ignored is Washington. You might package him together with Raymond for Chimera and Backstrom or Laich. That would be abou the best you could hope for I think.

If Luongo is traded the package coming back won't be good. It will be similarly bad contracts or assets will have to go with him.

If Gillis does decide to deal Luongo he has little to no control over the situation. Luongo will have to agree to a deal and then he will have to agree to a location and then convince that team to take on his 10 year 5 million dollar cap hit. And then you expect useful pieces back? The market for Luongo is going to be very thin. Moving him won't be easy.

I don't view Luongo's contract as a bad one.  Yes, it is long - but that is both an advantage and a detriment.  With the cap always rising, the value of players will rise with it.  In 2-3 years if he continues his strong play, his contract will look like a fantastic deal.  As it stands right now, he's something like the 7th highest paid goalie... which is about right on par with his stats.  If he nosedives the contract is certainly a detriment. But at least the main years (10m) have been paid by Vancouver already.

I think we should be able to get a decent return for Luongo... assuming the GMs don't take advantage of our desperation to get rid of a goalie.  And that might very well happen, since I am guessing Luongo will not be willing to waive his NTC to many teams.  

Tampa seems by far the most likely candidate.

Players I'd like to see from Tampa:

Hedman

Purcell

Malone

As much as I think Connolly will be a great player in this league, and he is from BC, I am not sure we need another undersized winger in our group.  Additionally, I think Tampa is expecting him to be one of their top line players in the next couple of years and will want a mint coming back to let him go.

Of all these players, I'd love to target Hedman.  His development has been slow, but he could very well be our Chara if we got him.

Purcell has turned out to be an amazing late bloomer.

Malone has the physical frame we could use on our top lines and I think could really be an asset.

Archived