Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

The Best Deal We Can Get For Luongo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#31 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Purcell is a risk because his points might be generated by how much attention Stamkos and St.Louis get. Hedmen on the other hand would be rediculous. The most feared D-pairing/ Goalie combo right now is arguably Weber/Suter/Rinne. Now Imagine Edler/Hedmen/Schneider, backed up by Hamhuis and Bieksa. The twin towers on defence with one of the best goalies in the league backing them up.

Edler: 6'3" Hedmen: 6'6"
215ibs 230ibs

And obviously I don't need to read out Schneider's stats.

He doesn't play with Stamkos.

And he has 6 playoff goals in 21 games last year, he's solid and a 10th overall pick would probably justify a Luongo trade.

65 points for a RW. is a good deal and considering if we could snag something else with that 10th overall. I think if we can trade some assets we don't need to get Connolly too I'd do it.

I don't have a good feeling about Malone I could be wrong though.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#32 1nf1n1ty

1nf1n1ty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

That's actually no where near the best deal we can get for Lu. Here is something that can be plausible for both teams:

Vancouver receives: Taylor Hall + Sam Gagner + Magnus Paajarvi

Edmonton receives: Roberto Luongo + Keith Ballard + Mason Raymond + Manny Malhotra + 2012 2nd round pick

Daniel - Henrik - Booth
Kesler - Gagner - Hall
Burrows - Schroeder - Jensen
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Kassian to AHL for more development

or

Vancouver receives: Jordan Staal + Zybnek Michalek + 2012 1st round pick

Pittsburgh receives: Roberto Luongo + Manny Malhotra + 2012 1st rounder

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows
Booth - Staal - Kesler
Higgins - Schroeder - Jensen
Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Ballard - Michalek

Wrost trades ever.
Why would Pittsburgh want Fleury AND Luongo?? Whos gonna play back-up? AND why would either of them WANT to play back-up

80'–84': The Dynasty
After the Islanders' regular season dominance and playoff disappointment in 79', Arbour decided that he would no longer concern himself too greatly with his team's finish in the regular season. He focused his team on how they would perform in the playoffs. The Islanders dropped below the 100-point mark for the first time in five years, but they finally broke through and won 4 Stanley Cups.

#33 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Jordan Staal 1st for Luongo 1st

Why would we exchange firsts? They have the 17th pick and we have the 18th...

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#34 Cpt.Clutch

Cpt.Clutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

Luongo in a package for Joe Thorton.

Both players and teams need the shake up. Thorton is possibly the second best playmaker behind Hank, and would do wonders for kesler (assuming Kesler would be willing to play the wing with Joe). Luongo would bring much needed goaltending to San Jose. They are the same age. Thorton has a bigger cap hit, but is only signed for two more seasons. He also brings some more size and leadership.

#35 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

I think he's headed to NJ or TB.

Maybe....
Rights to Parise + Clarkson for Luongo + Raymond

or something involving Connolly?

Props to canuckbuddy for the sig

#36 dko

dko

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

There are only a few teams in need of a #1 goalie he might be willing to move to. One of those teams that often gets ignored is Washington. You might package him together with Raymond for Chimera and Backstrom or Laich. That would be abou the best you could hope for I think.

#37 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

If Luongo is traded the package coming back won't be good. It will be similarly bad contracts or assets will have to go with him.

If Gillis does decide to deal Luongo he has little to no control over the situation. Luongo will have to agree to a deal and then he will have to agree to a location and then convince that team to take on his 10 year 5 million dollar cap hit. And then you expect useful pieces back? The market for Luongo is going to be very thin. Moving him won't be easy.

#38 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

I don't view Luongo's contract as a bad one.  Yes, it is long - but that is both an advantage and a detriment.  With the cap always rising, the value of players will rise with it.  In 2-3 years if he continues his strong play, his contract will look like a fantastic deal.  As it stands right now, he's something like the 7th highest paid goalie... which is about right on par with his stats.  If he nosedives the contract is certainly a detriment. But at least the main years (10m) have been paid by Vancouver already.

I think we should be able to get a decent return for Luongo... assuming the GMs don't take advantage of our desperation to get rid of a goalie.  And that might very well happen, since I am guessing Luongo will not be willing to waive his NTC to many teams.  

Tampa seems by far the most likely candidate.

Players I'd like to see from Tampa:

Hedman
Purcell
Malone

As much as I think Connolly will be a great player in this league, and he is from BC, I am not sure we need another undersized winger in our group.  Additionally, I think Tampa is expecting him to be one of their top line players in the next couple of years and will want a mint coming back to let him go.

Of all these players, I'd love to target Hedman.  His development has been slow, but he could very well be our Chara if we got him.

Purcell has turned out to be an amazing late bloomer.

Malone has the physical frame we could use on our top lines and I think could really be an asset.

Edited by kloubek, 23 April 2012 - 09:18 AM.

Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#39 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

So 3 top-6 stars for an inconsistent ageing goalie, 2 struggling players coming off career threatening injuries, and an under performing d-man? Get f*cking real bro.

lol halls the only star out of those three
Posted Image

#40 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Why would we exchange firsts? They have the 17th pick and we have the 18th...

The Canucks have the 26th pick overall in the upcoming draft.

Spots 1 through 26 are done by where the team placed in the regular season, with the exception of the team (Edmonton) that wins the draft lottery. Only the 27th through 30th picks are determined by playoff results.

Although the placing is off, your thought is accurate in that the Canucks and Penguins won't be separated by any more than 3 picks (depending on how St.Louis and the Rangers do in the playoffs). Not much of an upgrade by that point in the first round.
Posted Image

#41 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

For Luongo we will get picks and prospect.

At the most a late 1st rounder... Everyone knows we want to unload him before Schneider is RFA. Plus if we get picks and prospect, that unloads lots of cap space, for Parise, Suter or other UFAs. Lots of cap space + nice core = UFA sign here.

#42 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Both players and teams need the shake up. Thorton is possibly the second best playmaker behind Hank, and would do wonders for kesler (assuming Kesler would be willing to play the wing with Joe). Luongo would bring much needed goaltending to San Jose. They are the same age. Thorton has a bigger cap hit, but is only signed for two more seasons. He also brings some more size and leadership.

Niemi > lou... no reason to do this.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#43 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

For Luongo we will get picks and prospect.

At the most a late 1st rounder... Everyone knows we want to unload him before Schneider is RFA. Plus if we get picks and prospect, that unloads lots of cap space, for Parise, Suter or other UFAs. Lots of cap space + nice core = UFA sign here.

whatever you get for lou it will include an unwanted contract to counter Lou and his silly contract.

Edited by unbridled_id, 23 April 2012 - 12:18 PM.

"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#44 jimmyking8888

jimmyking8888

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Everybody please be realistic, Luongo doesn't have a high trade value. You would be happy if someone want to take on his fat contract.

#45 Cpt.Clutch

Cpt.Clutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

lol
Luo haters are weird. Next thing we'll see people saying Cloutier was a better goalie! lol

I know, I know, "Niemi won a cup!". Big deal. A lot of players win cups because the rest of the team was great. The Shark's biggest problem this year was goaltending.

#46 canucks82

canucks82

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

That's actually no where near the best deal we can get for Lu. Here is something that can be plausible for both teams:

Vancouver receives: Taylor Hall + Sam Gagner + Magnus Paajarvi

Edmonton receives: Roberto Luongo + Keith Ballard + Mason Raymond + Manny Malhotra + 2012 2nd round pick

Daniel - Henrik - Booth
Kesler - Gagner - Hall
Burrows - Schroeder - Jensen
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Kassian to AHL for more development

or

Vancouver receives: Jordan Staal + Zybnek Michalek + 2012 1st round pick

Pittsburgh receives: Roberto Luongo + Manny Malhotra + 2012 1st rounder

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows
Booth - Staal - Kesler
Higgins - Schroeder - Jensen
Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Ballard - Michalek

This is a joke?

#47 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,846 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Have you realized how bad Niemi is without Keith and Seabrook infront of him?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#48 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Florida - Tampa Bay

Players of interest:

Victor Hedman
Teddy Purcell
Ryan Malone
Brett Connolly

Jason Garrison
Kris Versteeg? probably not
Sean Bergenheim
Jovanovski?

What do you think the best combination of players we could get for Luongo.

Teddy Purcell and a 1st for Luongo, 1st, Jensen and Malhotra

Like I said, Connolly and Purcell for Lu
Ballard for Malone

Posted Image

#49 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

I would be fine with Jumbo joe on our second line. Jumbo Joe with Ryan Kesler at wing could make for a dominant second line behind the Sedins. Throw in a Higgins on that line, and it will be hard to stop.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.