The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keep Both Goalies (If They Don't Give Us What We Want)

Sandro17

Economically it just doesn't make sense to keep good goalies. it would be nice to keep them both. But we could use the money spent elsewhere. Both goalies deserve good dollars. Lu already has em, Cory's gonna get em. To pay so much to have a guy sittin on the bench for 40 games doesn't make sense; especially when we need cap space to keep the existing talent and bring in some more talent. I doubt that Lu can or will be moved, but if we could move him and not get anything close to what he's worth coming back it still lets us bid on some good FA's in the summer.

Keep both goalies, 40-games each. Sign Schneider to a 3 million contract for 2 years.

Spending 8 million on 2 goalies is definitely worth it, considering guys like Weber will command 6 or 7 million. That guy plays 25 minutes a game. Our goalies play 60, every second of every game, so is money much well spent. Plus, because both goalies will be fresher and less mentally/physically fatigued, we get the best out of both of them.

I'd be happy investing 8 million in our goalies and maybe losing a contract on defence like Ballard's 4 million or even Bieksa's for it.

OK so what if during the off-season, Columbus won't give us their 1st or TB doesn't want to give up Hedman, NJ wouldn't give us Larsson and NYI doesn't give us Neiderietter .

Cory's value should hover at around 3.5M this off-season. Other GM's out there know that we want to move a goalie and that could hinder our leverage getting a fair return. Would it be a good idea to keep both goalies?

Think about it. If we keep Cory and keep the team rather un-changed for next season, we would be making a statement saying "If you want a star you'll have to give up a star, we're not an organization you can screw over. Not only that, but we'd still be able to say "Were the presidents trophy winners for 2 straight years, we like where we are and you need our guys more than we need yours.

Now remember that we only WANT to move a goalie but we don't NEED to. Other teams NEED Cory so why not let the market boil over by not trading with us, other teams only hurt themselves and while we'd be hurting too having 8M locked up in goalies, we're still going to be a power house so there isn't much pressure to move our assets as compared to other teams.

We can then stand pat and just wait for one of the above teams to just start failing and eventually realise "OK we need a shake up and our goal tending has been too weak. Then finally get the trade we want

Keep both goalies, 40-games each. Sign Schneider to a 3 million contract for 2 years.

Spending 8 million on 2 goalies is definitely worth it, considering guys like Weber will command 6 or 7 million. That guy plays 25 minutes a game. Our goalies play 60, every second of every game, so is money much well spent. Plus, because both goalies will be fresher and less mentally/physically fatigued, we get the best out of both of them.

I'd be happy investing 8 million in our goalies and maybe losing a contract on defence like Ballard's 4 million or even Bieksa's for it.

Economically it just doesn't make sense to keep good goalies. it would be nice to keep them both. But we could use the money spent elsewhere. Both goalies deserve good dollars. Lu already has em, Cory's gonna get em. To pay so much to have a guy sittin on the bench for 40 games doesn't make sense; especially when we need cap space to keep the existing talent and bring in some more talent. I doubt that Lu can or will be moved, but if we could move him and not get anything close to what he's worth coming back it still lets us bid on some good FA's in the summer.

Keeping both goalies is going to hurt the chances of winning a cup. Sure it's nice to have a great backup / second starting goalie but you could also have some great offensive talent brought in to aid the top 6 forwards which would be much more beneficial to the team

I agree you don't trade a goalie unless there's a good deal out there (we don't need another Kassian) but keeping both for the entire next season doesn't seem reasonable because of (1) salary cap hit, (2) both goalies deserve to play 60 games each next season, and most importantly, (3) we have Schneider 2.0 aka Eddie Lack ready to jump to the NHL level.

I personally prefer Schneider since keeping him would free up more salary cap but I'm indifferent on which goalie is traded as long as we get something good in return.

Who said anything about $10 million?? 5.2 million + 3 million equals to about 8 million plus change. I'd rather have both of them than trade one for a Ballard type of deal where we can get screwed again. Honestly if you look at the Rangers, they have locked up a similar amount in goaltending yet their team can win the cup. Lets get one thing straight, the only reason we have won back to back presidents trophy was because of Luongo and Schneider even when the defense has played horrible all season. The reason we went to the finals last year was because of Lu and Schneider. The reason that we can probably comeback and win this series would be again because of Luongo and Schneider. I'd rather have 8 million locked up on goalies than pay 4.2 million for Ballard to ride the bench and start once in a while. In fact, we get rid of Raymond and Malhotra and it opens up 5 million right there.

You guys are so quick to trade Lu..Schnceider has not even played 100 games in the NHL yet.

Look at Boston ..In the 2009-10 season he started 45 games with an impressive 22 wins12 losses save pct .931 and avg of 1.97

Started 13 games in the playoffs (no Thomas in nets at all) 7 wins 6 losses.

Boston tried to trade Thomas all season and off season lon...no takers..He won the Stanley Cup the following season..Rask is still there a very good and promising goalie..comparable to Scneider..

We should keep both and see where this leads us next year ...Give Schneider a decent contract..He can t request money for a no1 goalie he has nt been that yet for an entire season...

So relax and don t jump the gun when it comes to Luongo..If players have wanted to come to this city like Sundin...it is greatly thanks to him...He has been the face of the franchise for the last 6 years.

I don t hear the twins Kesler and Booth who make similar money being thrown so soon under the bus...

You guys are so quick to trade Lu..Schnceider has not even played 100 games in the NHL yet.

Look at Boston ..In the 2009-10 season he started 45 games with an impressive 22 wins12 losses save pct .931 and avg of 1.97

Started 13 games in the playoffs (no Thomas in nets at all) 7 wins 6 losses.

Boston tried to trade Thomas all season and off season lon...no takers..He won the Stanley Cup the following season..Rask is still there a very good and promising goalie..comparable to Scneider..

We should keep both and see where this leads us next year ...Give Schneider a decent contract..He can t request money for a no1 goalie he has nt been that yet for an entire season...

So relax and don t jump the gun when it comes to Luongo..If players have wanted to come to this city like Sundin...it is greatly thanks to him...He has been the face of the franchise for the last 6 years.

I don t hear the twins Kesler and Booth who make similar money being thrown so soon under the bus...

If one of the goalies does end up playing elsewhere, it'll be amusing to read the CDC when we face that goalie, especially in the playoffs. I can just imagine.

Lu is an amazing goalie, totally not finished and yet the fans talk as if he is already gone. His 6 years here has provided us with exciting hockey entertainment and it grieves me to watch the fans "bury" him as they do all goalies in Vancouver. Lou cannot score goals, neither can Schneids and if you think the goalie is the reason we lost game 7 last year or were down 3 - 1 this year, then you just don't understand hockey.

Archived