The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keep Both Goalies (If They Don't Give Us What We Want)

Sandro17

Do you think Schneider will go for a contract like 5 million for 2?? I'd be shocked and the PA would probably give him a heck of a time for taking so little.

To me this is his time to pick where he wants to play and how much he wants to play for. I'm not sure he's going to be content to split with Luongo or take low money. My guess is he could get a 4 million dollar deal at least if not more. Don't forget, he has been chosen as the guy here for the playoff run.

Same thing happened in Montreal two seasons ago and the Blues gave Halak just shy of $4 million a season for four years. Will Schneider really get less than Halak after this playoff run if he does get them out of the first round?

Lets get one thing straight, the only reason we have won back to back presidents trophy was because of Luongo and Schneider even when the defense has played horrible all season. The reason we went to the finals last year was because of Lu and Schneider. The reason that we can probably comeback and win this series would be again because of Luongo and Schneider. I'd rather have 8 million locked up on goalies than pay 4.2 million for Ballard to ride the bench and start once in a while. In fact, we get rid of Raymond and Malhotra and it opens up 5 million right there.

OK so what if during the off-season, Columbus won't give us their 1st or TB doesn't want to give up Hedman, NJ wouldn't give us Larsson and NYI doesn't give us Neiderietter .

Cory's value should hover at around 3.5M this off-season. Other GM's out there know that we want to move a goalie and that could hinder our leverage getting a fair return. Would it be a good idea to keep both goalies?

Think about it. If we keep Cory and keep the team rather un-changed for next season, we would be making a statement saying "If you want a star you'll have to give up a star, we're not an organization you can screw over. Not only that, but we'd still be able to say "Were the presidents trophy winners for 2 straight years, we like where we are and you need our guys more than we need yours.

Now remember that we only WANT to move a goalie but we don't NEED to. Other teams NEED Cory so why not let the market boil over by not trading with us, other teams only hurt themselves and while we'd be hurting too having 8M locked up in goalies, we're still going to be a power house so there isn't much pressure to move our assets as compared to other teams.

We can then stand pat and just wait for one of the above teams to just start failing and eventually realise "OK we need a shake up and our goal tending has been too weak. Then finally get the trade we want

I think if we keep the two goaltenders, there are some fairly good advantages on the 8+ mill. spent

1) If one goalie is having a bad game/stretch, you can replace him and come up with good results

2) The goalies can thrive when they are not the only one tending the net, (physical/mental ease)

There is no point in keeping both of them. The return for either one would be significant and it would set the team up long term. We would get a real good young forward and a high pick for either of our goalies. Luongo is worth quite a bit.

Ppl think it would be a salary dump and no one wants his contract. In reality Luongo's contract is a $5.3 mil cap hit for 6 more years after which he will retire.

Watch MG keep both. Like Luongo would waive to go to Tampa Bay or a Florida team that doesn't look as good as Vancouver. If Schneider likes winning he will stay and why do people think he would give up 3M we can afford him at to go play 60 games and be pressured on a crap team... Both will stay and who cares about this now? For all we know Canucks come back and we roll with two goalies with a long run... Say they go onto win who is to say Luo/Cory don't want one more year to fight it out and win another. It's about the cup.

I think if we keep the two goaltenders, there are some fairly good advantages on the 8+ mill. spent

1) If one goalie is having a bad game/stretch, you can replace him and come up with good results

2) The goalies can thrive when they are not the only one tending the net, (physical/mental ease)

kmotamed said about 10 mil you idiot. Learn to read properly.

"The reason that we can probably comeback and win this series would be again because of Luongo and Schneider" Are you retarded? The reason that we can probably come back and win this is because of SCHNEIDER, and ONLY SCHNEIDER do you understand that?

Archived