The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Gillis Made Any Good Transactions This Season?

Canuckfan1970

Booth is a lousy linemate for Kesler because they both don't pass. Samuelsson was a playmaker. Trading Samuelsson for Booth is a failure.

Like everyone said, the Hodgson trade is so bad it overshadows everything else. All the rights he has done cannot negate this single wrong.

I have never understood all the love you guys have for Gillis. The core of this team was already in place by the time Gillis took over. Looking at the current team, just look at how many of them were brought in by Gillis. There are currently 2 difference makers that Gillis has brought in and those are Hamhuis and Booth (correct me if I am wrong). Like I said I just don't understand all the praise the man gets. Its the same thing with most Hawks fans and Bowman, our core was put in place by Tallon. Bowman just happened to be in the right place at the right time and if the Canucks had won the Cup last year or if they win this year I would say same thing about Gillis.

I have never understood all the love you guys have for Gillis. The core of this team was already in place by the time Gillis took over. Looking at the current team, just look at how many of them were brought in by Gillis. There are currently 2 difference makers that Gillis has brought in and those are Hamhuis and Booth (correct me if I am wrong). Like I said I just don't understand all the praise the man gets. Its the same thing with most Hawks fans and Bowman, our core was put in place by Tallon. Bowman just happened to be in the right place at the right time and if the Canucks had won the Cup last year or if they win this year I would say same thing about Gillis.

He may not be a Henrik Sedin, but Samuelsson is patient with the puck, and he averages way more assists than goals. These two things make him a play maker much more so than Booth who consistently tries to get more goals than assists. Put Booth on the same line as Kesler and you get a line that has minimal productivity.

The numbers don't lie. Kesler had way more goals last year when Samuelsson was on the same line. Look at this year with Booth. The line is pitiful in terms of being an offensive threat. Hodgson's line was on pace to outscore the second line.

I like Mike Gillis. I think he was a very astute GM. I've been impressed with the pieces he's added every season.... with the exception of this season. Wth happened this season? From last summer signings to trade deadline deals, were there any good player transactions? Gillis was pretty much hamstrung from being so close to the cap this year that he couldn't really get any rentals for a playoff run.

I think all his trades have an upside. Unfortunately some seem to be zoned for the future.

I liked a lot of what I saw in Gragnani. I think once he has been coached into being more disciplined and aware he will be big. He has good hands, is a very good skater and if anything his offence is overdeveloped but that can be tuned down.

I like the Kassian deal too. He is admittedly raw but I see all the attributes there to make him a big time player who will haunt other teams with his size, grit and aggression. He seems very immature even for his age but that will change mixing with our core if he keeps his eyes open, listens and learns.

Booth is the tricky one for me..........because of his salary. I like his attitude and his keenness to make an impact but I think his whole game needs redirected if he is to become value for money. Defences know him now and it is showing. His game at present is one dimensional because he has concentrated so much on what he knows he is good at (driving to the net) he has been "rumbled" as to how to neutralise his impact.

He needs to learn to get his head up when he goes to the net and lay passes off to better placed line mates. He needs to be far more aware defensively (he often watches the puck in our zone and lets his opponent go past him) He needs to learn how to pass more accurately and earlier.

If he does these things he will be valuable to us, if he doesn't it will have been a poor trade imo

Pahlsson is someone who I think is vastly underrated by our fans so far. I think he is starting to appreciate the great opportunity he has to rekindle his career here and I think he will get better and better for us. He is strong, gritty and is not afraid to lay out hits AND take them. I also see a bit of a temper there which may surface to our benefit when things get "in yer face"

The one thing I hate about people is that how much they underestimate a frickin' leader position..they thing you can pull a miracle out of your a$$...what did you Expect? Crosby @ the deadline...or was Schnieds, Ray , 1st, Ballard not was not enough for Ott? (sarcasm, yes)

MG is an excellent GM. He deserved his "executive of the year" award last year. However, he is far from perfect. Here are some concerns.

1. MG must be regretting Luongo's contract. Some knowledgable people are saying he is pretty much untradeable (even if he waives his no movement clause).

2. He helped Florida by taking on two big contracts -- Ballard and Booth. Florida is certainly a better team as a result. Samuelsson has been better for them than Booth was and he is much cheaper.

3. It is hard to say anything new about the Hogdson deal, It may pan out in the future but right now we gave up a legitimate scoring threat for a guy who is not ready. Kassian has actually played very poorly in the playoffs and is going to be replaced by Weise for game 5.

4. I find the excitement about Pahlsson strange. He is a solid player but that is all. I liked the old third line (with Hodgson) better.

Archived