The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Gillis Made Any Good Transactions This Season?

Canuckfan1970

i don't know why gillis would change his coaches because of the team going flat at the wrong time...some people give no praise to coaching staff when the team is humming along, but lose a few games and it's all the coaches fault...i guess, the redwings should fire their coaches and whoever loses between pittsburgh and philly, their coaches should be fired....gillis is more to blame because the players he has picked up are struggling....along with the stalwards of the team...canucks came out sluggish but LA has played some great hockey....a lot of the credit goes to them....if this team is destined to come back, they will....

Disagree. Some of the members of the core of course was there before Gillis took over, however Nonis failed with the same core, and MIke Gillis brought in players to elevate the players he had and made them better. For example, the Sedins went from 1st line players, to becoming Art Ross Winners. All because he brought in Mats Sundin, who brought them to the "next" Level. NOt only that, he bringing in Sundin, turned Kesler, from a 3rd line checking player, into one of the best 2 way players in the game. From a 3rd line plug, to a 40 goal scorer, and a 25 goal scorer. Not only that, Mike Giliis wanted an offensive system, something Dave Nonis would have never done, and also something like Mats Sundin, Dave Nonis would have never attempt anything like. HIs work speaks for itself, and don't forget, Mike Gillis took over a non playoff team.

So I disagree with you. Sure the Sedins were here. Yes they were, but the Sedins were different players before he took over.

The same with Kesler. Alex Burrows too, he become a different after Sundin came in, and a new implamented offensive system the Canucks now use. He also brought in Ehrhoff, to provide offence, but too bad he left.

As for good moves he made,

David Booth trade is a good trade for us and we won it. Don't forget we also get a 3rd round pick out of it. Florida already has a ton of cap room next year anyways with or without Booth, naturally it was really just a salary dump trade for them.

Sami Phallson trade was an awesome trade for us. Gillis knows this is a weak draft and at the 4th round, it's all project players. Ellington will never play for us.

Zach Kassian is a pretty good trade. He's not NHL ready, but if he becomes a 50 point player look out!

With or without Samuelsson, we still be down 3-1.

I have never understood all the love you guys have for Gillis. The core of this team was already in place by the time Gillis took over. Looking at the current team, just look at how many of them were brought in by Gillis. There are currently 2 difference makers that Gillis has brought in and those are Hamhuis and Booth (correct me if I am wrong). Like I said I just don't understand all the praise the man gets. Its the same thing with most Hawks fans and Bowman, our core was put in place by Tallon. Bowman just happened to be in the right place at the right time and if the Canucks had won the Cup last year or if they win this year I would say same thing about Gillis.

Archived