The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] Raffi Torres Gets 25 Games

Guest AriGold

I think it is excessive but he is his own worst enemy. It's hard to feel really sorry for Torres, He has been taking guys heads out for years. Look at last year. Gets suspended for the hit on Eberle and misses 4. The next game he takes out Seabrook and somehow doesn't get suspended. This year more of the same. He is constantly taking liberties and made that a really easy decision for Shanahan.

Matt Cooke was no different and his last suspension seems to have changed him. Maybe this will be what Torres needs to stop running guys.

To me this isn't enough games, just like the number of games given out for other suspensions. This is Torres' SIXTH hit to the head. He's a repeat offender, just gave a star player a concussion. If you really want to take this stuff out of the league, give him 50.

Wow... this is clearly them being unhappy with how nasty the playoffs have become more than the hit itself.

That is totally unacceptable to set an example of one guy in an attempt to manage their bigger issues. Especially when the bigger issues involve OTHER playoff series and not this one.

The hit was the same as we have seen a couple of dozen times in the season and has resulted in a 0-5 game suspension. To make it suddenly 25 reminds me of the Rome suspension where the rules suddenly changed when they had a chance to punish someone who wasn't a star.

Shanahan was doing a pretty good job in the first half of the season, but when things started to matter he has blown it and is now making decisions based on "political" and non-hockey motives.

The thing about Torres is that he has been labelled as a repeat offender and a dangerous player. There are very few people in his corner in the league. He's an easy target to suspend for a lot of games. Let's also not forget that the hit on Hossa currently has Hossa sitting out for what looks to be an indefinite amount of time. Although I think the injury suffered is rightfully a factor to be taken into account when issuing a suspension, you've got to think that the fact that:

Repeat Offender + Dangerous Player + Questionable Hit on Star Player + Star Player Injured Indefinitely adds up to everything Shanahan needed to conclude that a ridiculous suspension was warranted.

Whatever actual value this suspension will have will be seen at any disciplinary hearing for the next player to pull off a suspendable offence. Preferably a star player who's suspension from a team will have a significant impact. And with this suspension, it doesn't even need to be an actual headshot. We'll see if Shanahan brings down the hammer then.

It's getting harder and harder to be a fan of this league. If they don't figure this shiz out soon I don't think I can take it seriously much longer. It is becoming such a farce, how can they expect fans to really get into it and care about their teams if everything is so manipulated by the league? It seems like the outcome of games and series' especially no longer depends on the teams playing, what matters is how the league will affect things (suspensions, reffing etc). There's no framework, no rules, as a fan you can't count on anything anymore. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one starting to feel this way...

One thing is, it's sends out a clear message. Any target to the head should result in 10+ game suspension whether he is a repeat offender or not.

Players won't stop till they get lengthy suspensions. Simple.

I would agree with this but the lack of consistency makes the "statement suspension" in vein. You can't drop the hammer on someone then contradict yourself the next time it happens which is what has kept happening and will continue to happen. Heck Malkin has like 5 headshots this season.

To be honest that hit didn't even look very dirty/ over-the-line at all (at least not worse than what Keith did with the hanging elbow that also resulted in concussion). Don't really see how the intent to injure was even there or how it was worse than Kronwall's similar high hit on Kesler during the regular season (which got away Scott-free I think?) Probably just the fact that Hossa had to be stretchered off got Torres the suspension... though it's interesting if you examine a similar hit by Cooke on Savard (which started the whole head shot rule and has many common variables):

that was blatant head hunting by Cooke (Torres' wasn't even directed)

he caught Savard while he wasn't even looking (somehow Hossa missed Torres in his peripherals but he should've still seen SOMETHING if he's going to skate that way)

both star players stayed down, Savard's likely going to have to retire because of the hit (hope that's not the case for Hossa)

both guys have history of being dirty players (Cooke's resume may even be worse than Torres')

Cooke got away SCOTT-FREE; in contrast Torres gets 25 b/c he accidentally concussed someone in a non-directed hit?

Makes ZERO sense to me.

Archived