The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] Raffi Torres Gets 25 Games

Guest AriGold

that was a load of BS.

1. Torres did not leave his feet he had one foot on the ice and did not jump at all

2. He did not target the head at all. it was a shoulder to the chest

Shanahan is just using torres as an example only because he is a repeat offender

The NHL is a joke now. All I ever hear, see, is people whining and bitching about the nastiness in hockey games. The NHL is run by pussies now. No one cares about the actual playoffs, they just want to cry about something.

like I said before

R.I.P NHL. NJL (national joke league)

I wouldnt be complaining as much is Keith got more. But this repeat offender just means you get 1-2 freebies before the suspensions kick in. Shanahan must think the players are idiots.

Wow......

Supplementary discipline required as he is a repeat offender but bumping Raffi's hit on Hossa into the same category as Bert's transgression is bloody ridiculous, IMO.

That said, the precedent has now been set and Shanahan better stick to it from now on for every subsequent similar on-ice incident if only to highlight the sheer ludicrousness of this latest sanction from on high.

That whole Keith on Daniel thing of deliberate head hunting and lack of adequate sanctions has me infuriated all over again. Not to mention the Weber smashing Zetterberg's face into the boards incident and the mere fine as a sanction.

U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E.

What a ???? joke.. A nearly clean hit and he gets 25 game suspension? How about Keith who clearly intended to injure Sedin and only gets 5 regular season games? What a ???? joke

I'm so rattled.. Just because he is a repeat offender? WOW

Next time may not happen, your head controls your body, if youve lost that youve lost EVERYTHING, again Bravo to Brendan, and may he only increase the suspensions to all of the idiots that do this in the future.

Kinda torn on this, I like Raffi, always have, however for years I have been calling for the NHL to wake up and suspend based on the act not the resultant injury or who does it or if they are a repeat offender or not. Yes this is all based on Raffi's history and the fact Hossa left on a strecher etc etc. But IF this becomes the benchmark going forward for how the NHL will look at suspensions then I won't mind it at all.

I don't think it was all that terrible a hit, bit sooner and no leaving his feet its clean, however if its going to be the example and a change going forward I am ok with it. Really though, I think I am just being hopeful, Bettman's recent comments about the playoffs do not fill me with posititve thoughts that things are changing. My hope lies with Shanny and that he starts suspending on the act.

An elbow has been set at five games for a first offence. If Keith throws another like that, it should 10, no matter who its on, how long they are out etc... A late hit gets set at 25 games if its his second or third suspension for it, fourth time its 40 or so. Thats how things should go, suspend severely on the first one, but not too severely as it may have been out of character for a player. Give them one "chance". do it again, double it, etc etc. Doubt I'll ever see that, as its too simple but such is the game I used to love. I find myself watching less and caring even less about it as more of these pile up. If I am starting to turn away, how about all those fringe fans in the US? I am sure I am not alone.

I agree with everyone here (didn't read very post but looks like most feel this way) Way too many games in comparison to far worse "intent to injure" hits. Shanahan you started looking like a moron with the pathetic little fine on Weber now you're just making yourself look even worse.

Absolutely ridiculous.

The NHL continues to fail to provide any balance or consistency.

Sure, Raffi's got a bit of a history but it's just how he plays the game - with reckless abandon and enthusiasm. It's usually not targeted at anyone in retaliation or isolating a particular player in order to injure them. He flies around there, hitting everything in sight (hard). I love his game.

This has missed the mark completely as Chicago wins another battle of the NHL brass. So Keith takes out Daniel in response to an earlier hit - lines him up in his sites and takes him out for the start of the playoffs and gets a slap on the wrist, but Raffi can sign up for a bowling league for awhile? What a joke.

Guess Bettman and the Bozos are issuing another free pass for entry into the Stanley Cup for some teams. If you wear a certain jersey, you get special treatment. Seen it all before - getting worse, not better.

Lolololololol. I'd say I'm shocked, but I'm really not. I totally expected a complete overreaction. I hope Shannahan gets fired. I hope Bettman has a heartattack. I hope this bush league learns that they have to be consistent or they'll have complete anarchy on their hands. I hope Torres goes after Shannahan with a high hit next.

It's getting harder and harder to be a fan of this league. If they don't figure this shiz out soon I don't think I can take it seriously much longer. It is becoming such a farce, how can they expect fans to really get into it and care about their teams if everything is so manipulated by the league? It seems like the outcome of games and series' especially no longer depends on the teams playing, what matters is how the league will affect things (suspensions, reffing etc). There's no framework, no rules, as a fan you can't count on anything anymore. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one starting to feel this way...

Did it work when they suspended an NHL rookie 20 games before he played 1 regulation NHL game a few years ago?

The only way this changes the game is if he backs it up by dropping the hammer again on the next player who does it. Which won't happen.

It's getting harder and harder to be a fan of this league. If they don't figure this shiz out soon I don't think I can take it seriously much longer. It is becoming such a farce, how can they expect fans to really get into it and care about their teams if everything is so manipulated by the league? It seems like the outcome of games and series' especially no longer depends on the teams playing, what matters is how the league will affect things (suspensions, reffing etc). There's no framework, no rules, as a fan you can't count on anything anymore. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one starting to feel this way...

Also I want to throw this last one in. Shanahan was effectively suspending Torres for the rest of the playoffs with some game carrying over to the reg season next year for good measure. the number of games was exactly the number of games left the yotes would play assuming each series went 7 games for what its worth.

Keith had similar dirty elbows to the head on Matt Cooke and Ruslan Salei, but they went unpunished, so he's not considered a "repeat offender" which is dumb. 5 regular season games = 2 or 3 playoff games.

Star players are less likely to be considered repeat offenders because they haven't been punished the same as a 3rd/4th line player.

Archived