Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

- - - - -

[Suspension] Raffi Torres Gets 25 Games

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
279 replies to this topic

#271 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

that was a load of BS.
1. Torres did not leave his feet he had one foot on the ice and did not jump at all
2. He did not target the head at all. it was a shoulder to the chest

Shanahan is just using torres as an example only because he is a repeat offender

I think a trip to optician is in order my friend. :)
Kevin.jpg

#272 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

I think I'm going to puke. A borderline hit warrants a 25 game suspension?? Shame on the NHL, I think Shanny was forced in to this sentence. Two refs saw this at real speed and chose not to give even 2 minutes, how could it possibly be so heinous an act that Raffi gets half a season????? Brutal.

"A borderline hit"................. :towel: :frantic: :frantic: :emot-parrot: did you even watch the whole video?

Edited by Bodee, 22 April 2012 - 03:47 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#273 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

Third head shot suspension this year alone. Seventh of his career!

I cannot believe so many here think it's excessive. Torres seems incapable of learning from his past.

Don't worry mate, the hypocrisy on these boards knows no bounds. Half of them are so used to seeing players heads get "knocked off" on their Playstations, they've lost touch with reality. They don't realise that's a human's head, Torres is battering into, time and time again.
I suggest they all line up in front of Torres and let him bring them back to reality.........I would even cheat and give them a Divers Helmet ............it would be all the same to Raffi baby.
Kevin.jpg

#274 Cindilette

Cindilette

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Again....FIRST offense versus SEVENTH offense.

I don't know why this is so tough for you guys to understand. That's the real joke here.

It wasn't Keith's FIRST time hitting someone in the head. He has done it at least 3 times. But his hit on Danny was the FIRST time he got a suspension.

Just because it's your "first time offense" doesn't mean you get special treatment. As far as I see it, Keith's hit on Danny was far worst because he had EVERY intention of hitting Danny in the head.

Just like someone used the example of first time murderers. They killed one person for the very first time so does that mean they just get a slap in the wrist?

Face it: 5 games was a slap in the wrist. He got special treatment because he is an all-star defenceman.

#275 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

"A borderline hit"................. :towel: :frantic: :frantic: :emot-parrot: did you even watch the whole video?

Yes - borderline. One skate still touching the ice at time of contact, shoulder to the high sternum (possibly catching the jaw), and less than one third of a second late. Yes, Elizabeth - borderline in all respects.

What I can't figure out is why some people like you want to eliminate injuries, fights and big hits from the game. If you don't have the stomach for it, that's ok - change the channel to something more up your alley, like fashion or cooking shows. These guys are modern day gladiators, paid millions of dollars to entertain us. I'm not saying we should let lions loose in the rink (although it would be kinda cool :), but if a few players get hurt in a fast paced, rough and sometimes violent game, I'm 100% ok with that. By the tv ratings this spring, I would say that I am I'm the majority on this one, and you, my little bleeding heart, are out of touch with what real hockey fans want.

Of course, this is just my opinion .... But - I'm always right.

#276 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,817 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

The video shows that Torres broke 3 major rulse and is a repeated offender by 5 accounts.

He broke 3 major rules? Do you believe that because that is what they told you?
- 0.3 second late hit is BS. Say 1 second to yourself and then take 2/3s of that time away to clarify the process.
- Hossa was facing Torres so he was not blindsided
- Both men play at roughly equal weight. Who was going to hurt who? If it had been Kane then was Torres to cut his speed by 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 to ensure that Kane wasn't hurt? Again BS. What next will the NHL send reps into dressing rooms after games to determine possible injuries for supplimental discipline?
- the only call to determine was whether Torres left his feet on purpose or through the force of the hit. That was the only call to be made. If the ref standing 10 feet away couldn't determine that then I guess the slo-mo guys in the TV room can. What a joke!
* To top all this BS off I saw at least five hits yesteerday that would warrant suspensions based on what Torres did. Guess what, no suspensions. What does all this tell you?

#277 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

He broke 3 major rules? Do you believe that because that is what they told you?
- 0.3 second late hit is BS. Say 1 second to yourself and then take 2/3s of that time away to clarify the process.
- Hossa was facing Torres so he was not blindsided
- Both men play at roughly equal weight. Who was going to hurt who? If it had been Kane then was Torres to cut his speed by 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 to ensure that Kane wasn't hurt? Again BS. What next will the NHL send reps into dressing rooms after games to determine possible injuries for supplimental discipline?
- the only call to determine was whether Torres left his feet on purpose or through the force of the hit. That was the only call to be made. If the ref standing 10 feet away couldn't determine that then I guess the slo-mo guys in the TV room can. What a joke!
* To top all this BS off I saw at least five hits yesteerday that would warrant suspensions based on what Torres did. Guess what, no suspensions. What does all this tell you?

Well done, people are choosing to believe what Shanahan & the media tell them. My interpretation is pretty much the same as yours.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37, 22 April 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#278 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

It wasn't Keith's FIRST time hitting someone in the head. He has done it at least 3 times. But his hit on Danny was the FIRST time he got a suspension.

Just because it's your "first time offense" doesn't mean you get special treatment. As far as I see it, Keith's hit on Danny was far worst because he had EVERY intention of hitting Danny in the head.

Just like someone used the example of first time murderers. They killed one person for the very first time so does that mean they just get a slap in the wrist?

Face it: 5 games was a slap in the wrist. He got special treatment because he is an all-star defenceman.

You`re right it doesn`t mean Keith gets special treatment it meant he got normal treatment. The people who get special treatment are the guys who just can`t seem to get it through their skulls that they need to stop with the garbage hits like Torres. Torres gets special treatment because this is the third time he`s been talked to this season; which doesn`t even start to get into prior to this season.

Face it: 5 games was more than fair for a guy who has no record. He got no special treatment he just got in trouble.

It`s funny how arse backwards some people thinking is. They go on and on about special treatment for certain players and then say something silly like repeat offenders shouldn`t get a harsher punishment.

I seriously think most people here just want to disagree with an authority figure simply because they are an authority figure. The hit was garbage and he`s been in trouble several times this season alone. It really is that black and white. I mean one can argue the number of games to an extent but some of the comparisons being made in this thread are out right ridiculous.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 22 April 2012 - 02:04 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#279 blue.tactics

blue.tactics

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

The League really needs to step it up a notch.

Yes, Raffi is a repeat offender, but the consistency with what's being dealt with is just appalling.

#280 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

You`re right it doesn`t mean Keith gets special treatment it meant he got normal treatment. The people who get special treatment are the guys who just can`t seem to get it through their skulls that they need to stop with the garbage hits like Torres. Torres gets special treatment because this is the third time he`s been talked to this season; which doesn`t even start to get into prior to this season.

Face it: 5 games was more than fair for a guy who has no record. He got no special treatment he just got in trouble.

It`s funny how arse backwards some people thinking is. They go on and on about special treatment for certain players and then say something silly like repeat offenders shouldn`t get a harsher punishment.

I seriously think most people here just want to disagree with an authority figure simply because they are an authority figure. The hit was garbage and he`s been in trouble several times this season alone. It really is that black and white. I mean one can argue the number of games to an extent but some of the comparisons being made in this thread are out right ridiculous.

Bravo...
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.