The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Offer Their Reaction On Raffi Torres Suspension

The Horvatian One

I agree with AV, it is confusing not only to players and coaches but to fans as well. Who's in and who's been knocked out or tossed out is "the question".

Yes, this is the year of "THE FARCE" staring the same refs as last year, screwing teams with every call.

All donation for AV's fine can be sent to Canucks head office...Since talking about a hit to the head can get you into more trouble than throwing one..."BALLS"

I think most of the outrage is over the lesser penalties/suspension handed out for more deliberate attempts to injure i.e. Keith on Danny; Hagelin on Alfredsson; Weber head smashing Zetterberg etc.

A $2,500 fine to Weber for deliberating smashing a player's head into the boards in one game and then 25 games for Raffi(regardless of history) is ridiculous.

It's the lack of consistency and rationale that ha speople upset. If Keith gets 15 games or 5 regular season + 5 playoff, then this makes sense.

If the intent of the league is to really eliminate headshots, then deliberate targeting of the head shoudl be severely punished reagrdless of a players history. Repeat offenders should be more serverely disciplined as well. It's the gap between these 2 and the fact that "stars" seem to be able to do whatever they want while 3rd and 4th line players have the book thrown at them as an example that makes the league look foolish and manipulative.

I understand a severe suspension but I think it shouldve been just done for the rest of the playoffs, you can't have guys running around injuring top players on the other team. But to have it carry over to next year's regular season I think is a bit harsh. If the coyotes get knocked out this series, he still is missing about 20 games next season

Shanahan's inconsistency is really starting to bug me. It's unfair and, as AV said, confusing. 25 games is a ridiculously long time especially considering this is the playoffs (where 1 playoff game suspension = 2 reg. season games)

I understand a severe suspension but I think it shouldve been just done for the rest of the playoffs, you can't have guys running around injuring top players on the other team. But to have it carry over to next year's regular season I think is a bit harsh. If the coyotes get knocked out this series, he still is missing about 20 games next season

I know, I realise that but let's try to take it in isolation. The guy is a serial head hunter who won't learn.

I think Keith should have been given a longer suspension and the Weber fine was ridiculous. It is because of how I felt about Keith's hit on Danny that I am glad Torres got this suspension. Keith's though bad enough was an isolated out of character hit...........Torres on the other hand goes around the league spreading these concussive hits like confetti.

Why can the people on here never walk in the other guys shoes. How long a suspension would they have been crying out for if this hit had been on Henrik..........would we seriously NOT MENTION his history or his previously unlearned lessons? Come on.

We would have been looking for a sine die suspension or the death penalty

The Torres hit on Hossa was late and high. Any worse than what Dustin Brown did to Henrik Sedin? Or, Keith on Daniel Sedin. Or, Shea Weber slamming Henrik Zetterberg's head into the glass.

The NHL is laughable in it's inconsistency. Torres gets 25 games. Brown gets a pass. Keith gets 5 games. Weber forfeits $2,500 (what's that amount to, a night on the town with the boys?).

It just shows, if you are an up and coming hot-shot who is crucial as a marketing product to the NHL, you're gonna get a pass. But, if you're a middle-of-the-road NHL'er, or a Sedin, your rights and safety don't mean spit to the NHL top brass.

Am I the only one who sees 25 games for a serial headhunter who won't take a telling as fair?

There were multiple rule infringements, and a history of multiple rule infringements but Raffi just keeps banging those heads with his shoulder/elbow and welcoming his opponents to the world of concussion............you know, that's the world where you wake up with headaches, eyesight problems, dizziness and unsteadiness. The world where you may be out for a couple of weeks or 6 months or more.

The world where if you are really unlucky you become more susceptible to the next hit and it has greater repercussions.

What happens when he ends a career or kills someone. What happens if his next hit is Danny and it ends his career? I'm sure the hypocrites on CDC would be wanting to lynch him and Shanahan for continually letting him off lightly.

The NHL is trying to stamp these hits out. Raffi obviously thinks the rules don't apply to him, well maybe this suspension will finally get through to him..............maybe.

Am I the only one who sees 25 games for a serial headhunter who won't take a telling as fair?

The NHL is trying to stamp these hits out. Raffi obviously thinks the rules don't apply to him, well maybe this suspension will finally get through to him..............maybe.

There were multiple rule infringements, and a history of multiple rule infringements but Raffi just keeps banging those heads with his shoulder/elbow and welcoming his opponents to the world of concussion............you know, that's the world where you wake up with headaches, eyesight problems, dizziness and unsteadiness. The world where you may be out for a couple of weeks or 6 months or more.

The world where if you are really unlucky you become more susceptible to the next hit and it has greater repercussions.

What happens when he ends a career or kills someone. What happens if his next hit is Danny and it ends his career? I'm sure the hypocrites on CDC would be wanting to lynch him and Shanahan for continually letting him off lightly.

Archived