The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Offer Their Reaction On Raffi Torres Suspension

The Horvatian One

So inconsistent! NHL's Brendan Shanahan !?!

More like Brendan Shenanigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definition of SHENANIGAN

: a devious trick used especially for an underhand purpose

a: tricky or questionable practices or conduct —usually used in plural b: high-spirited or mischievous activity —usually used in plural

This actually pisses me right off. What a joke the NHL is. 25 games for a late hit, during the playoffs? And we thought Rome had a big suspension for basically the same play? How about Keith... 5 freaking games for a play that was 100x worse. Or Weber with his WWE moves and all he has to do is hand over his pocket change?

AV is right... I bet there are a lot of confused players right now. I have to wonder how many Torres would have got if he replicated the Keith hit on Daniel instead? 30 games? 40? Pathetic that you have to make an example out of the lower tier players... even more pathetic that the example being set is that you are in the clear if you are a superstar.

keith should have got more games......shanny could have sent a clear message b4 the playoffs even started, and he failed.

raffi being a repeat offender is gonna have to change his game like matt cooke did...but 25 games is way to harsh...10 playoff games seems more appropriate.

Am I the only one who sees 25 games for a serial headhunter who won't take a telling as fair?

There were multiple rule infringements, and a history of multiple rule infringements but Raffi just keeps banging those heads with his shoulder/elbow and welcoming his opponents to the world of concussion............you know, that's the world where you wake up with headaches, eyesight problems, dizziness and unsteadiness. The world where you may be out for a couple of weeks or 6 months or more.

The world where if you are really unlucky you become more susceptible to the next hit and it has greater repercussions.

What happens when he ends a career or kills someone. What happens if his next hit is Danny and it ends his career? I'm sure the hypocrites on CDC would be wanting to lynch him and Shanahan for continually letting him off lightly.

The NHL is trying to stamp these hits out. Raffi obviously thinks the rules don't apply to him, well maybe this suspension will finally get through to him..............maybe.

The diciplinary measures are skewed especially in light of all the abuse the Sedin's take..The Brown hit,the slew foot Daniel took last year..clearly there are inconsistencies....Weber gets charged a cup of coffee?..he's laughing all the way to the ATM machine.

25 games for a hit like that? Come on Shanny! That should have been 40 or 50 games. Get some balls, man!

Kesler giving Quick a snow shower in game 1? That should have been 10-12 games.

Sedin's elbow on Brown in Game 4? 4-5 games.

You responding to this thread? $1,200 fine.

keith should have got more games......shanny could have sent a clear message b4 the playoffs even started, and he failed.

raffi being a repeat offender is gonna have to change his game like matt cooke did...but 25 games is way to harsh...10 playoff games seems more appropriate.

I don't disagree with the ethos behind this suspension but if this was a 25 game suspension then Keith should have gotten 15. Instead Keith got a 5 game break before the playoffs. The hit on Daniel should have seen Keith get the rest of the regular season plus the first round of playoffs (14 Games).

Weber was only slapped with a fine for driving Zetterberg's face into the boards, a play he should have received at least 5 games for.

It seems that certain players get a pass and others don't. Weber is laughing all the way to the bank to pay his $2500 fine. He makes $7 million a year. Do you really think he cares about a $2500 fine?

$7 mil/82 games = $85,365.85 per game/60 min per game = $1422.76 per minute. Shea Weber makes $2500 every minute and 47.5 seconds.

Hell of a deterrent.

Am I the only one who sees 25 games for a serial headhunter who won't take a telling as fair?

There were multiple rule infringements, and a history of multiple rule infringements but Raffi just keeps banging those heads with his shoulder/elbow and welcoming his opponents to the world of concussion............you know, that's the world where you wake up with headaches, eyesight problems, dizziness and unsteadiness. The world where you may be out for a couple of weeks or 6 months or more.

The world where if you are really unlucky you become more susceptible to the next hit and it has greater repercussions.

What happens when he ends a career or kills someone. What happens if his next hit is Danny and it ends his career? I'm sure the hypocrites on CDC would be wanting to lynch him and Shanahan for continually letting him off lightly.

The NHL is trying to stamp these hits out. Raffi obviously thinks the rules don't apply to him, well maybe this suspension will finally get through to him..............maybe.

While I hear your point, hockey is a contact sport that is also very fast and injuries are going to happen. When I look at this hit by Raffi and his hit on Seabrook last year I see questionable hits that are not particularly dirty, the thing is that Raffi hits like a truck and on the Hossa hit he leaves his feet. He makes sure he never gets his elbow up because he knows that he could kill somebody because of how hard he hits. Players need to keep their head up, that's drilled into every hockey players head, if you're not aware of who's on the ice and where people are around you, you're going to get smoked , that's hockey and that's the way it should be.

I'm not saying Raffi shouldn't have been suspended, he does leave his feet, but to me that was more or less a hockey play.

AV said it perfectly, and I hope the league takes notice.

Torres was going for a hit, mistimed it by a few seconds and gets 25 games.

Keith was trying to take Daniel's head off, gets 5 games.

Simply makes no sense. What the NHL is doing by rulings like these is making players much more tentative to go for big open-ice clean body checks, but a dirty elbow, knee or gloved punch to the head is much less severe.

What we're going to see in the coming few seasons is a lot less hits and a lot more dirty plays if it's more acceptable to play dirty, head-hunting hockey than attempting a clean body check. Rediculous, and it's going to cost the league a lot of skilled players, money and integrity.

Toews reaction to the hit got the ol blood boiling again when he said Torres was going to have to live with his actions. It pisses me off to no end when I think that this was the biggest issue with the Keith suspension. He never had to live with his. Instead we hear about how great the rest was and how it was just what he needed. No remorse for his actions whatsoever. You sure showed him Shanny.

Archived