The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cdc Volunteers..

I Can't Stop

Hey guys, I'm looking to start volunteering..But I dont know where to start.

I work fulltime 5 days a week, and I want to start volunteering on weekends.

I have thought about St Johns ambulance, or anything to do with helping sick/homeless people and children..

Does anyone have any tips/experience/ideas for getting started?

Please share what you do and how it fits into your schedule!

Thanks guys

I used to volunteer with big brothers.

Worked perfectly with my schedule as I was able to plan with the mom and usually volunteered on weekends.

Can't really lend ya any advice other than it was a good experience and I'd highly recommend it.

I used to volunteer with big brothers.

Worked perfectly with my schedule as I was able to plan with the mom and usually volunteered on weekends.

Can't really lend ya any advice other than it was a good experience and I'd highly recommend it.

Ya. Beware crazy moms though.

Me and my "little" as they are referred to had a great relationship. His mom was cool, but a little unstable. Ended our meetings early.

So that's an obstacle. Psycho moms.

I volunteer at a Crisis Line where the requirement is roughly 4 hours a week (16 hours a month) OR one 12 hour shift a month.

Training is quite extensive, so expect a few lost weekends early on, but it's one of the best volunteer experiences you can have on a resume. In terms of helping people, you'll certainly get a wide array of callers from loneliness, child abuse, suicide, or just general mental health.

Naturally, this is less of a "hands on" approach, so this may not be favourable to everyone.

If anyone is interested, shoot me a message.

I'm also a crisis line worker. Now that I've passed 100 hours on the lines my required commitment has dropped to 8 hours a month. Prior it was also 4 hours a week. I received 60 hours of training before I was put on the lines and an additional 12 hours of training to become a coach for new volunteers. Shifts are relatively flexible.

I also volunteer at a hospital as a volunteer visitor where I am interacting one on one with patients. This is not as flexible. I have a set shift every week whereas on the crisis line I can pick my shifts each month.

Check out govolunteer.ca. You will be able to find volunteer positions in your area.

Pacific Spirit Park! You can volunteer to take out invasive species in their "holly haulings" on Saturdays. The Pacific Spirit Park Society website has all the information and contact information. Plus it's drop-in meaning, you don't have to commit long-term.

Been volunteering at an animal shelter for a few years... Started with weekends while I was in school, then daily for a while, now I just drop in when I can fit it into my schedule, which they're okay with because I've been with them for so long. You might have trouble finding weekend only positions at some places because weekends are usually when they get the most volunteers, so make sure you make your availibility clear right from the start so you don't end up wasting your time or theirs.

My little was cool, we had a lot in common so when we hung out it we had quite a bit to talk about. Obviously he was going through some stuff (either at home or at school), so it was hard for him to open him at first but once you get to know them, they're really cool kids. My friends' littles were really awesome too, so if you don't mind being around kids, then it's a great program! The staff are all super cool too.

You can visit their website here:

http://www.bigbrothersvancouver.com/

You'll probably find all the contact information, as well as more details on the different programs they offer.

Good luck guys :)

Archived