The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Currently Playing?

The Walking Dead Game, episode 5. It sucked. It legitimately tried to call back on whatever player choices were made that weren't already destroyed (most of them had been undone during the crapty 3rd episode).

But what put the nail in the coffin was the story. I really just didn't care about anything that was happening anymore. It had something to do with the bait and switch they pulled in episode 3, where every little thing you built up was gone. It also had to do with how that episode reset all the gross progression that the story had made.

I'm making this a post without spoilers, so I'll say just this. At the ending I was not sad. Not at all. I was bored out of my mind, and hoping that the credits would just start rolling already.

I'm a person that gets very easily attached to characters and stories, so to fail handily in that regard is not an easy task for a writer.

There are parts in the whole story that are just so well handled, and so well told. But the parts that suck just overshadow everything to the point where there is no purpose to the story anymore.

I mean to start off with, you were already only left with a rag tag team of their choosing, not yours. I like that they played the trust factor and all into who sides with you, but there were only 4 douchebags to choose from in the first place. Everyone was gone, and in the end, the whole experience just turned out to be something preset on their part. From what I can tell (having only played it the once), different people die in different parts during this last episode... but again, it's only those 4 specific douchebags, as the game had already conveniently eliminated whoever it wanted already.

The thing had so much promise, and many bright spots. But the end product is just a largely linear piece of poor storytelling, where you jump through nearly every hoop they want you to.

Episode 5 puts emphasis on the poor story telling. Although it's not as cheap and awful as episode 3 was, it was bad in it's own way. It's not a good game, and it's not one I recommend at all (which is sad considering all the great hope I had after the first episode.)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a quick play through of Halo 4 on easy, and it was still kind of hard lol.

when I bought Halo 4 I also bought Final Fantasy XIII-2 because it was only $20. Just finished playing it the other day and it was about as lame as FXIII lol, corny story with bad characters and worse music, but the gameplay was fun. BUT the ending was epic, it started off super cheesy like a regular Final Fantasy game, but then the twist came in and I was like "rad".

Replaying Kingdom Hearts 1+2. I'd forgotten how truly fantastic these game are. They can appeal to every age group, that's what makes them great. My girlfriend makes fun of me for playing them though...

what an amazing game. part 1 and 2. just perfect. people used to make fun of me, too. i mean, i understand why... but still. their loss.

So a few weeks back, I completed Max Payne 3 and I highly recommend it.

Also played through Assassins Creed 3 and I ended up collecting everything there was, plus doing all of the side missions.

Hitman is up next...

Bizarre, because those are the exact 3 games that I'm playing at the moment. Well, those 3, plus Far Cry 3. I've bought way too many games recently, lol. All of them within the last week and a bit.

Edging slowly through the 4 of them at the same time.

what an amazing game. part 1 and 2. just perfect. people used to make fun of me, too. i mean, i understand why... but still. their loss.

Traverse town has great music. Could sit there listening to that like minute loop over and over again.

Currently playing Fable 3. I tried playing Final Fantasy 13 on Xbox but felt so dirty. Plus the game sucks

Have been playing through Hitman for the last 2 weeks. Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating, but fun.

I'm on the highest difficulty, which is why it is taking so long to get through. But then the game lasts that much longer.

Can't really rate it at this point, but so far I'd give it a 7/10. As a lot of reviews have stated, the tone is so much different than the previous games in the series. While you can get through the levels by stealth alone, some levels are near impossible at times to do so without at least being seen (especially if you try going through without disguising yourself, which is always my goal). While I understand because I'm at the hardest difficulty, the game is far less forgiving, I have spent days on at least two of the levels in particular. While other levels I can cruise through on either the second or third try without being seen. The sad part of this is that those are sometimes the levels I would like to be more difficult (ie: Court Level).

• Upvote 1

Have been playing through Hitman for the last 2 weeks. Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating, but fun.

I'm on the highest difficulty, which is why it is taking so long to get through. But then the game lasts that much longer.

Can't really rate it at this point, but so far I'd give it a 7/10. As a lot of reviews have stated, the tone is so much different than the previous games in the series. While you can get through the levels by stealth alone, some levels are near impossible at times to do so without at least being seen (especially if you try going through without disguising yourself, which is always my goal). While I understand because I'm at the hardest difficulty, the game is far less forgiving, I have spent days on at least two of the levels in particular. While other levels I can cruise through on either the second or third try without being seen. The sad part of this is that those are sometimes the levels I would like to be more difficult (ie: Court Level).

I agree with the general assessment there. The game is full of ups and downs in how well it plays.

The thing I can appreciate though is that along with the change in playstyle of the series, there was a keeping in the level of detail in the game. And the visual style of the game of the game is impeccable... as long as it's not doing things like throwing stripper nuns at the screen.

I can say overall I quite enjoyed the game. Based on initial fears of how bad the game could have been, it probably met the higher end of my expectations.

On deck? Maybe Metal Gear 4? Anyone here like it?

Not sure about other people, but I absolutely loved MG4, and I didn't like any of the other games in the franchise. I haven't played it since it first came out, so I may feel different now, but I may not even have the patience to finish it now. The game itself feels more like a work of art than a game. There were certainly times I was frustrated, mainly the cutscenes (I remember timing one that was nearly an hour long); but even then I appreciated the amount of time, effort, and detail that they put into it.I wouldn't go back to it now, but it was certainly worth playing through it once.

Currently playing GTA4. Definitely not as enjoyable as I remembered. I really want to play through San Andreas again, still think that was the best in the series. Though, anything with David Cross (that isn't Alvin & the Chipmunks) is worth my time.

Not sure about other people, but I absolutely loved MG4, and I didn't like any of the other games in the franchise. I haven't played it since it first came out, so I may feel different now, but I may not even have the patience to finish it now. The game itself feels more like a work of art than a game. There were certainly times I was frustrated, mainly the cutscenes (I remember timing one that was nearly an hour long); but even then I appreciated the amount of time, effort, and detail that they put into it.I wouldn't go back to it now, but it was certainly worth playing through it once.

Thanks for the input, I can appreciate cutscenes, it's one of the reasons I enjoyed FF7 so much, but at the same time, sometimes you just want to PLAY, not hold the controller and watch a movie.

The originals were/are awesome. I remember playing the training missions for a few hours (I think) and when the game finally began I was all "Wow, here we go!"

I will never forget when GTA3 came out for PS2, my console was on for at least 2 weeks straight in a house of 6 people. Man the entertainment was high as the game broke new ground in so many areas, with decent graphics to boot. Now, all these years later, I still love Rockstar, but the GTA series is pretty unchanged, just updated graphics, story, and larger play area. I do not even plan on purchasing the new one.

Maybe for 20 bucks in 2 years if I still game, I can wait.

Edited by Green Building