The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Currently Playing?

/\

Not gonna lie, Monty...that sounds like the least fun game ever.

Instead of spending $7.99 doing that, why not get a part-time job with Passport Canada? Starts at $20/hour!

Oh yeah? Well, you're stupid.

Ok, I'm going to have change something on my review of "Papers, Please." If only because I don't want D-Money to think I'm lame.

I definitely overexagerated when I said it's, "an absolute blast." The game isn't a mile a minute fun; however, it is fun in a way I haven't experienced in gaming for quite a long time. It's one of those rare instances in games where the moral decisions you make actually make you feel something. Although the graphics are at best, terrible; the overall story of the game and the execution is very impressive. The game can be quite stressful at times, but that's more because there is more then just allowing people to come in or denying them access to your country. You also have to make decisions about how you are going to spend money at the end of the day (rent, food, medicine). According to the synopsis, there is also 20 different endings to this game, which takes place over roughly 30 days.

I appreciate when a developer creates something that I haven't seen before. Releasing something new in this day and age is very rare. As I said, the game can be quite stressful. Which I agree, is not something that can be seen as "fun." However, the stress comes more from knowing that the decisions you have made will have consequences. Those consquences could be denying entry to people who, for all purposes should be allowed in despite not having the correct paperwork, or they could be watching your family members suffer because you have been making too many errors (allowing entry to those that shouldn't due to your conscience).

Edited by Monty

Ok, I'm going to have change something on my review of "Papers, Please." If only because I don't want D-Money to think I'm lame.

I definitely overexagerated when I said it's, "an absolute blast." The game isn't a mile a minute fun; however, it is fun in a way I haven't experienced in gaming for quite a long time. It's one of those rare instances in games where the moral decisions you make actually make you feel something. Although the graphics are at best, terrible; the overall story of the game and the execution is very impressive. The game can be quite stressful at times, but that's more because there is more then just allowing people to come in or denying them access to your country. You also have to make decisions about how you are going to spend money at the end of the day (rent, food, medicine). According to the synopsis, there is also 20 different endings to this game, which takes place over roughly 30 days.

I appreciate when a developer creates something that I haven't seen before. Releasing something new in this day and age is very rare. As I said, the game can be quite stressful. Which I agree, is not something that can be seen as "fun." However, the stress comes more from knowing that the decisions you have made will have consequences. Those consquences could be denying entry to looppeople who, for all purposes should be allowed in despite not having the correct paperwork, or they could be watching your family members suffer because you have been making too many errors (allowing entry to those that shouldn't due to your conscience).

Hahah - you're not helping matters here!

In reality, I'm just messing with you. I`m sure it's interesting... Well, at least a little.

If people don't already hate me on CDC, they will now because apparently I refuse to stop talking about "Papers, Please." At gamerant.com, the reviewer summed up his 4.5/5 star review with this final paragraph:

"Papers, Please is not a game for everyone. It’s not even a game we can guarantee you’ll have fun playing, in the traditional sense. Just like not every worthwhile film is fun to watch, Papers, Please isn’t always going to put a smile on your face. But the array of emotions the game succeeds in making you feel is well worth the experience. From questions of personal priorities to how quickly you’re willing to invade someone’s physical privacy, this game refuses to let up on the player. And after all is said and done, it may very well be a game that you are relieved to be done playing, but it will also be a game that you likely won’t stop thinking about long after turning it off."

The quote, "Just like not every worthwhile film is fun to watch..." sticks out the most. After finishing this game twice now, this is precisely how I feel about the game. It's definitely not fun in the traditional sense. However, much like darker films may not be a blast to watch, you appreciate them for the achievement of the story that the filmmakers set out to accomplish.

If you had to choose would you get NHL 14 or GTA V?

Although I've always enjoyed the NHL series, I'll quote Arrested Development to make your decision easier: "That's like comparing apples to some fruit nobody's ever heard of."

That GTA is some kind of something.

Boy, this GTA is all anybody's ever talking about.

So sick and tired of hearing about how brilliant that GTA is.

Overrated.

:lol:

So many great AD quotes. "If I'm no David Schwimmer your no Jennifer Anniston!"

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone still play Halo 4 these days? Just renewed my xbl subscription and lost a good chunk of my friends list from my lengthy hiatus :(

I have it, but none of my friends play it. So I stopped playing it as well.

Just picked up this new game called Grand Theft Auto 5, it's from a little known developer called Rockstar, who apparently did a little indie game a few years ago called Red Dead Redemption; though I don't know many people who have heard of it. May want to check this one out, I think it might be a mild success.