The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ubc Or Sfu?

OrdinaryBoy

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I'm looking for a career in aeronautical engineering, if that makes a difference.

From what I've heard talking to professors and various university grads, SFU is closer to high school in terms of teacher accessibility and ease of navigation. I met a professor named Dugan O'Neill at a physics lecture, and he stayed behind for nearly an hour after his presentation to talk to me and answer random questions. I can't say that all the SFU professors are as nice as him, but he would teach one of my classes.

UBC has the advantage in university rankings, but I haven't really seen anything to sway me and say, "UBC is the place for me." I've heard a few complaints that grades depend mostly on the TAs and that some of the teachers are uninterested in teaching. Apparently half of the money you pay for the meal plan living on residence disappears in extra fees, but again, this is all anecdotal.

To be honest, I'm not particularly looking forward to going to university. I understand that the experience is what you make it, but it's intimidating.

Yes, your area of stsudy makes a HUGE difference. If UBC and SFU are your only two choices, I would go with UBC in engineer.

Otherwise, I would look down the coast at universities down there.

Most SFU profs will do that especially if you end up in a small department. I'm not in anyway saying that UBC profs won't.

You got that right, everyone complains about TA's and profs, SFU is no different.

Don't be. It's just school. Yeah, maybe you won't meet new people right on the spot cause sometimes in the first year classes, people don't like to talk but as you move forward past 1st year classes, you'll make friends. Don't be afraid to start talking to people. After all, the odds are, if they don't want to hang out with you, you'll never see them ever again.

Again my info might be out of date but the only reason to go to SFU engineering is if you know you want to do computer/electrical engineering.

At least at UBC you could do electro mech as a way to get at least something that might get you in the aeronautics door (perhaps as a masters somewhere else) but I am pretty certain if you want actual aeronautics you have to head out east. (Like to McGill, which again I would like to point out would be an epic place to go to school.)

I would say go to UBC, only because I went there lol. if you are living on campus I don't like the idea of the snow you get at SFU vs UBC (not that its a HUGE issue). UBC has a lot to do on campus when you are living there and you are a short bus ride from downtown. Biking/Running by the beach. Pretty good rec sports leagues, ice hockey, soccer etc.

Engineering grads I know from UBC all loved it there. I would say that you will find bad profs at both SFU and UBC. UBC is also doing a lot of building upgrades which you may get to take advantage of.

When I was deciding I did a tour of both and SFU felt like a dungeon/prison to me and just gave me a depressing vibe. Later I found out that the architect for that building designed prisons as well so it made sense. But thats only a small area. I know SFU grads who loved it there as well, Go check out both.

Again my info might be out of date but the only reason to go to SFU engineering is if you know you want to do computer/electrical engineering.

At least at UBC you could do electro mech as a way to get at least something that might get you in the aeronautics door (perhaps as a masters somewhere else) but I am pretty certain if you want actual aeronautics you have to head out east. (Like to McGill, which again I would like to point out would be an epic place to go to school.)

I went to SFU, and if I had to do it all over again I'd go to UBC..... HOWEVER

In the end, it makes no difference if you're looking to get into grad school. If you have high marks in SFU, you'll have the same chance as if you went to UBC, absolutely no difference there.

Whatever you do, don't pass up a chance to do as many co-ops as you can, even if it's crapty pay, and also don't pass up opportunities to do semester overseas if you can.

The rest you must decide on your own, young grasshopper

;)

I'm a geologist currently going to SFU.

Here's the thing. Go look at the programs themselves. Look at the courses your required to take, look at the course descriptions.

I had the same issue. I picked SFU Earth Sciences rather than UBC Earth's and Ocean Sciences. Why? I like the layout of the SFU program a lot better. It helps me get my P. Geo a lot easier.

Volcanology, and Sed-Strat. Thanks, have a nice day.

(BTW, if you want to study volcanology past undergrad, the only two "real schools" you can go to is SFU or McGill in Canada)

UBC-O!

Awesome, yet small, campus, small class sizes, and beautiful weather for one month of the year!

Best part about UBC-O is we get the same degree as UBC-V students. Next best part is I got a job over a UBC-V student in Vancouver HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I went to SFU, and if I had to do it all over again I'd go to UBC..... HOWEVER

In the end, it makes no difference if you're looking to get into grad school. If you have high marks in SFU, you'll have the same chance as if you went to UBC, absolutely no difference there.

Whatever you do, don't pass up a chance to do as many co-ops as you can, even if it's crapty pay, and also don't pass up opportunities to do semester overseas if you can.

The rest you must decide on your own, young grasshopper

;)

Ummm, then you probably shouldn't be going to either. Only place I can think of top of my head that would have that is McGill (which would be about as epic a place to go to school as I could think of) but of course it's been a long time for me so things might have changed in what is offered.

I assume you have super high grades in math and phyics (95% +) for such lofty ambitions (no pun intended)?

For aeronautical engineering, would BCIT be better? (I'm not too positive myself).

I'm in civil engineering at UBC, have never really heard much from any of my other engineer friends talking about aerospace stuff.

UBC definitely has the "prestige" over SFU but then again it would depend on what you're majoring in and how far you live from both campuses. A lot of people from my school have crossed SFU from their lists because it's so far and inconvenient.

Myself, i'll be attending the University of Ottawa and i'll be majoring in Criminology this fall.

Archived