The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Belief In God Grows With Age

DonLever

Belief in God is highest among older people and increases with age, perhaps due to the growing realization that death is coming closer, say University of Chicago researchers this week.

-43% of people aged 68 and older were certain that God exists.

-Only 23% of people aged 27 and younger were firm believer in God.

http://www.timescolonist.com/homes/Belief+grows+with/6497238/story.html

Older generations more religious due to their upbringing.

Younger generations less religious because of MTV and the rock and/or roll music.

Doubt it's due to non-religious people suddenly believing the Devine when they get older.

Seemingly pointless study.

Without reading the article, could there be any correlation to the stronghold religion used to have in the times these people were raised? With the advances of science and the widespread availability of this information to the younger generations is it possible that this may be attributed to the progression of society rather than ones naturally changing psyche? A fear of death may also lead these people to seek refuge in an idiology that involves life after death.

I don't understand how people can believe so strongly one way or the other about God.

People who think they know if God does or doesn't exist is delusional.

But I do agree that this study could be a generation thing aswell......

Actually I found the opposite to be true. When I was younger I found it easier to believe. As you grow older you get more cynical and critical thinking. I used to think the vast majority of people are "good". Now I find myself being surprised when I see people donate to charity, and stand up and do the right thing. Maybe all the losers in politics, and big business are so selfish it's made me have a dim view of the world.

I find myself wanting to believe in God, but the level of greed, destruction, pollution, and ignorance just tells me that a lot of people have turned away from being kind and helpful and are only into things for themselves.

Actually I found the opposite to be true. When I was younger I found it easier to believe. As you grow older you get more cynical and critical thinking. I used to think the vast majority of people are "good". Now I find myself being surprised when I see people donate to charity, and stand up and do the right thing. Maybe all the losers in politics, and big business are so selfish it's made me have a dim view of the world.

I find myself wanting to believe in God, but the level of greed, destruction, pollution, and ignorance just tells me that a lot of people have turned away from being kind and helpful and are only into things for themselves.

It's pretty obvious that religion is a psychological control method in coping with death and the scariness and possible permanence or nothingness of it, aside of the fact that people have no dead persons coming back to tell them how death was for tangible reassurance.. no doubt this is prominent in those who are getting older. I can't deny I've had my own personal panic attacks thinking extensively about it when I was younger, but one thing I refuse to do is BS myself into believing crap just because I have a hard time dealing with an unknown. I can't say how my psyche would be on my death bed or in my elderly years, but I hope it's sane.

I'm not surprised. It seems to me that older people start thinking about their mortality and might want to believe that there's something that comes after....

I have to say however, that as one of CDC's resident old guys, my religious skepticism remains pretty much intact. We'll see how it goes after I have my first heart attack....

Archived