The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Av And Coaching Issues Thread

-SN-

He's a good coach who is better suited to elevating the performance of a lower tier club.

For the Canucks, he's too much of a line-juggler, which has bred a degree of confusion and inconsistency among the players.

Having said that, I fully expect him to be back next season. How long for? Who knows. But, I suspect the team needs grit from the top down, and possibly a coaching change might address this.

My quick two cents. AV was a great coach for a long list of reasons and has done great things with Vancouver, but he is not a playoff coach. Regular seasons were for the most part outstanding, but the team repeatedly flopped in the playoffs. Last year making it to game 7 of the final round felt like a miracle because of how hard the team had to scrape to even get past the first round again. This team is really good but come playoffs the opposition severely out-coaches us. AV has had a number of years here and is one of the longest lasting coaches on one team in recent history. He's been great in a ton of ways, but not the one way the Canucks now need and the fans desperately want. The playoffs. That's all a person has to say. Playoffs.

I love ya AV. You've been great! But we need a fresh face with a different box of tricks.

I won't be sad to see this coach go. I couldn't stand it when he started mixing up that lines so much in the last month. That is one of the primes reasons nobody could score. No one meshed together properly. I never liked him after the fact I noticed he hates Rookies. Hodgson, Grabner....I mean he would rather have someone like Samuelsson play top line rather than Hodgson. I just couldn't stand it. Feel free to disagree, all in my opinion.

Also I like how everyone is ready to jump on Kesler because he didn't produce as much as last year. Give him some slack. He missed camp because of a Surgery. It takes a lot longer than one season to get back into the form you were previously in. We are LUCKY to have him. Same for Raymond, he had an injury that could've costed him his legs. But he came back? and much after Kesler.

IMO these players shouldn't be going. Because I know next year they will have better chances. I'd say maybe some changes in D. and the third and fourth liners.

I've been a fan of AV...I think he's taken this team to new heights and he's been one of the best coaches we've ever had.

I've also stated that if AV could change a few things, he could become a GREAT coach...he is still stubborn and too set in his ways. Unfortunately, I think that AV has exhausted all his options and he can't take us to the next level. I don't care about the regular season anymore...it's the cup or bust.

Here are some key issues for me this year:

- AV had a tremendous 2nd line that started to pound and score in bunches, but decided to go with an amazing 3rd line? Personally, I think any team could have an amazing 3rd line if they sacrificed their 2nd. He doesn't reunite the Amex line until the playoffs?

- AV didn't allow the team to create much chemistry, he changed the lines way too much throughout the year. Did he really have to do this until the playoffs began? I think this is one of the reasons that we failed... we limped into the playoffs with barely winning games and low scoring numbers.

With 2 weeks left...he should have chosen his best options and stuck with them to gain momentum, chemistry and confidence.

- On that note, AV never really allowed this team to build confidence and learn how to put games away.... How many times do we change our game plan once we get the lead? How many times have the opponents scored on us when we play defensively? It makes no sense to me....we usually dominate the game when we try and score and we give the opponents a ton of chances when we play defensively.

This strategy puzzles me when I watch the Premier League and it puzzles me even more when I see it in the NHL??? Hockey's faster....more chances to score equates to more goals or flukey goals, the odds are not in our favor.

Winning a few games in the regular season with the 1 goal lead to AV's overconfidence.

- I believe that it was Coho who went to talk with AV about his playing time and than led to Coho being traded right away. I firmly believe that AV must have approached MG and persuaded him to trade Coho, I also think it was AV who wanted to sacrifice an offensive 3rd line for a defensive 3rd line.

We lose the SC last year because our team is decimated with injuries and we can't score.... This year, we get ousted out of the 1st round because we can't score again.

- I've been complaining about Raymond for so long now.... I'll be glad when he's gone. He just doesn't fit with this team. I don't know what he did to get on AV's good side, but AV gave him every opportunity possible and he failed. Period.

Raymond cost us at least 1 maybe 2 games on his own in this series (IMO) and he should have been benched way before the playoffs began and only used when we had no other options. But AV still gave him the benefit of the doubt and even though he should have been benched tonight... he still got playing time. Sure he played better.... but did he help us win? Sure he had chances...but did you really think he would capitalize?

- This last point is what disappoints me the most. We've had issues with injuries and depth almost every time we've made the playoffs. This year, we had the most depth compared to any other and we never got a chance to utilize them!

AV did not stay true to his word... he played Raymond regardless of his performance this year. UNBELIEVABLE! There are plenty of Wolves players who deserved a chance and they were not given the opportunity because AV wrongly believed that Raymond was our savior.

This team has done everything that the coaches have asked of them.... and we still failed. It's time to bring in a coach that gives this team the best chance of winning the cup. I really hate to say this because I think that AV is a good coach...but can he bring us the cup? He just seems to lack the key ingredients to take us to the final step...same ingredients that separate him from being a good to a GREAT coach.

And if anyone wants to comment on Kes or any other players not scoring.... I will revert back to my comment about not bringing the Amex line back earlier or giving the players any time to build chemistry. Yes, Kes did not produce much after the Amex line got separated... but he was producing prior. Who's fault is it that Kes isn't producing?

I don't put the blame on MG... I still think he's doing a fantastic job and he gave AV all the tools to win the SC... AV's way. (I made a post and than noticed this thread...i figure that my post should be locked so i just copied pasted)

Wow. AV is STAYING, did he not just pass Mark Crawford this year for most wins, in a much shorter time frame? Like common! AV can't control the players actions, he just creates the system, which is a VERY GOOD system if you ask me. The problem in my mind is the GM, if he wants to give this team a CHANCE at winning the cup, we need someone to help the second line (cough * Hodgson * cough). And since we don't have that someone right now, IMO we need:

- To go after someone like St. Louis, or Parise to solidify our top 6. Bottom six is great in my mind.

- Decide whether Ballard is staying or not (considering he is taking up a lot of cap space). If he's staying, give him the ice time he deserves. Pair him with Bieksa or Edler. If he isn't, trade him so we can sign a Top 4 defencemen.

- Sign Kassian to some sort of 2-way contract, and try him out during the pre-season. If he looks lost, put him in the minors for another year until he starts gaining consistency, than call him up every now and then.

- Decide which prospects we want to call up next season (ahead of time), and sign them to 2-way contracts accordingly.

- Resign Burrows and Edler!!! Do not let them walk MG! I swear to God!

Archived