The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Av And Coaching Issues Thread

-SN-

YEP, Vigs has to go - was pretty clear when he traded away Erhoff and Torres (which I know nucks woulda told him to watch his hits had he being a canuck still - because of his hit last year). Then he trades away Hodgson for 2 players that didn't even factor in the playoffs (Pahlsson - phfff - we lost Hodgson's goals in that one - Hodgeson was on a role before the trade). I was mad at this trade, if anyone should have gone, it should have being Raymond.

Ballard, Hamhuis, Laps, Maholtra, Weis, Pahlsson, Salo and Hansen have to go.

Wow. AV is STAYING, did he not just pass Mark Crawford this year for most wins, in a much shorter time frame? Like common! AV can't control the players actions, he just creates the system, which is a VERY GOOD system if you ask me. The problem in my mind is the GM, if he wants to give this team a CHANCE at winning the cup, we need someone to help the second line (cough * Hodgson * cough). And since we don't have that someone right now, IMO we need:

- To go after someone like St. Louis, or Parise to solidify our top 6. Bottom six is great in my mind.

- Decide whether Ballard is staying or not (considering he is taking up a lot of cap space). If he's staying, give him the ice time he deserves. Pair him with Bieksa or Edler. If he isn't, trade him so we can sign a Top 4 defencemen.

- Sign Kassian to some sort of 2-way contract, and try him out during the pre-season. If he looks lost, put him in the minors for another year until he starts gaining consistency, than call him up every now and then.

- Decide which prospects we want to call up next season (ahead of time), and sign them to 2-way contracts accordingly.

- Resign Burrows and Edler!!! Do not let them walk MG! I swear to God!

I saw alot of players that are capable of playing good but are playing their worse hockey of the year this playoffs. Edler, Kesler, Higgins, Booth, Burrows. That's a major coaching issue if we cannot turn your players around in a span of 5 games. Its not just these guys had 1 or 2 bad games. It was the whole series and there was no adjustments made nothing! AV was once again out coached. what's new?

Although I like AV, his past decisions have been really confusing for us, the fans. Even IF he knows something we don't during their practices, his changes never lead to better results! How does that make the fans think of him?

For example:

1. He's constantly playing Raymond and Rome when they should be benched a long time ago during the season.

2. AMEX Line were on fire for a few games. Next game, Higgins gets moved down to the 3rd line. wtf?

3. D. Sedin was injured and the 14-33-40 line was formed. They win 8 straight games before the season ends. The playoff starts and he breaks that line. (Doesn't matter if we were playing against playoff-contenders or not)

4. He experiments with D-lines even DURING the playoffs.

5. (may or may not apply) He's too passive on the bench

6. PP was a freaken mess (not entirely his fault)

7. Last season, he kept benching Ballard, and then puts him on the top D-line the next game. wtf?

8. Also last season, he refused to play Schneider when Luongo was choking until it was late into the Playoff series (Game 6?)

As for MG, I think he will stay. I'm sure we were surprised with a few decisions he's made, but I'm not sure he could have done anything about it. For example:

1. Letting Ehrhoff go and not having any defense to replace him

2. Kind of like #1, except it's surprising to know the D was the same after trade deadline... exception is Gragnani who was a non-factor

3. Not getting more offensive touch... maybe he expected too much from Booth (?)

4. Trading Hodgson for someone who doesn't help during THIS year's playoff. (because I thought we wanted to win NOW?)

5. Following #4, it's obvious Kassian wasn't ready to be a power forward this year. This is his very first NHL season is it not?

His time is over, the team needs a new voice and ideas. I would welcome MacT or Crawford over him.

He losses Daniel and his team completely falls apart, found a line that worked late in the season with Lappy, Burrows and Henrik then juggles the lines again come playoff time.

AV has huge issues getting the team to adapt and I think this is because AV as a coach has a tough time adapting. In all respect AV is a fine coach but he doesn't have what it takes to get a team to win the holy grail. Sure we went to game 7 in the stf last year but somehow we came up short again due to the teams inability to score.

This scoring issue goes back to last season and especially the Boston series.

In all, I am tired of hearing oh we ran into a hot goalie and oh the team can get it done next time... AV needs to go and in all honesty he needs to take Raymond and Alberts when he leaves...

I know av doesn't do the trades but he has a big influence on gillis... Hevalwayscdreamed of a third line shutdown which he finally got and what happens??? Our offense goes down the crapper repeating last years Boston series... Can't score and can't solve the goalie and surprise surprise this cought up again and even worse since our pp went down the drainer.... And of course we knew of this since mid December.

I like kassian but the trade was bad... Buffalo won this trade without a doubt for this year and honestly I will be surprised if kassian ever becomes that "power forward" in the future... Sure he has potential but trade a player like Coho for a prospect future prospect.... Coho will be missed for years to come.

The team needs a coaching change. Av is not cutting it. He got what he wanted yet he still failed.

Aquilini's, It Is Time

Get rid of gillis and av or lose me forever. Get some fricking grit. Ronning is engaged to talk a truth. It's not all about a natural goal scorer. They are helpful, as he knows.

Nic

That was brutal, this is why everyone hates us...we lost the series on an attempted dive by Hamhuis and the fans start screaming "refs you suck!"? (or was it "Hamhuis sucks?", either way that was disgraceful).. And now we immediately call for a coaching change? How about, maybe our players suck?

I think it's time we take a strong look at this organization from the top down...i hate to say it but maybe there's something to what people are saying w.r.t. maybe this team takes too many dives. They were gutless out there.

Aquilini's, It Is Time

Get rid of gillis and av or lose me forever. Get some fricking grit. Ronning is engaged to talk a truth. It's not all about a natural goal scorer. They are helpful, as he knows.

Nic

How long it took LA to figure out how to play with two Sedins??? One game...

How long did it take LA and their coaching staff to figure out our system??? They were ready before the playoffs started, the homework on Canucks was 100%

How did it take AV to figure out how to play against LA??? The answer is simple, the guy still doesn't know and that's why LA is going to round two and were planning the golf season.

Canucks is a much more skilled team even without Daniel, however we ended up playing LA style hockey; If LA was forced to play our style then this series would have been over with Canucks going to second round ...

We have gotten out coached on many levels once AGAIN...

Raymond has never been a playoff player and everyone besides a small number of users are saying this for years now...however the guy cost us at least two of the playoff games and honestly, I like Edler but he has been brutal this playoff series. Kesler is not himself and is really struggling after the injury... Maybe he needs time to recover??? Hard to say, however it's clear that trading coho really did not help this playoff run one single bit.

As a fan I really am confused by AV line juggling and it's been the same for years also.... How can players adjust to this??? How are the players going to gain any experience and chemistry playing together??? AV really screwed up and Gillis listened to him...

I'm still puzzled why Raymond is still playing on this team??? The guy has no chemistry with anyone on this team.... He's been given a million chances... Yes I know the guy broke his back and all the challenges he's faced and so on, but we're a competitive team and maybe, just maybe the guy does not belong in our lineup... AV screwed up big time along with the training staff; our pp has been horrid for months and same for our d.

I really hope the management takes some drastic changes, although I have a feeling AV will stay and there will be very small changes in management and coaching staff. After all AV has a pretty good record with this club.

Archived