The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Av And Coaching Issues Thread

-SN-

AV needs to go. Never established line combos, changed d pairings at the end the season???? Too slow to react....i for one believe AV is a good coach but good is not what a top team needs. Sorry Alain but the captain goes down with the ship.

MG needs to hang this on someone IMO. He may use the Daniel Sedin excuse but... out in 5 to the 8 seed is inexcusable. Gillis is going to be under intense scrutiny for trading the best prospect this team has had since Luc Bourdon ( Hodgson) and shaking up a roster that was in first place and had great scoring depth for a 34 yr old checking center. The goaltending issue will be front and center. Should be a very interesting summer. And oh yeahh.......When are we ever gonna see some youth, size and grit come to the team.

Good idea Stealth

IMO:

The core isn't going anywhere

There will be changes to the bottom depth players

But these same players, if given a different system to play with, could be much more effective than they were this year. And a player like Kassian will never flourish under AV's style of play.

When we got Kassian I think that was an indication that AV's time here was coming to an end.

Look for a change in coaches I believe

How long it took LA to figure out how to play with two Sedins??? One game...

How long did it take LA and their coaching staff to figure out our system??? They were ready before the playoffs started, the homework on Canucks was 100%

How did it take AV to figure out how to play against LA??? The answer is simple, the guy still doesn't know and that's why LA is going to round two and were planning the golf season.

Canucks is a much more skilled team even without Daniel, however we ended up playing LA style hockey; If LA was forced to play our style then this series would have been over with Canucks going to second round ...

We have gotten out coached on many levels once AGAIN...

Raymond has never been a playoff player and everyone besides a small number of users are saying this for years now...however the guy cost us at least two of the playoff games and honestly, I like Edler but he has been brutal this playoff series. Kesler is not himself and is really struggling after the injury... Maybe he needs time to recover??? Hard to say, however it's clear that trading coho really did not help this playoff run one single bit.

As a fan I really am confused by AV line juggling and it's been the same for years.... How can players adjust to this??? How are the players going to gain any experience and chemistry playing together if they are changed like dipers??? AV really screwed up and unfortuatelly Gillis listened to him...

I'm still puzzled why Raymond is still playing on this team??? The guy has no chemistry with anyone on this team.... He's been given a million chances... Yes I know the guy broke his back and all the challenges he's faced and so on, but we're a competitive team and maybe, just maybe the guy does not belong in our lineup... AV screwed up big time along with the rest of the coaching staff; our pp has been horrid for months and same for our d - nothing was made to address this issue.

I really hope the management takes some drastic changes, although I have a feeling AV will stay and there will be very small changes in management and coaching staff. After all AV has a pretty good record with this club.

Quite a few CDC members are saying that AV has achieved so much with this team, but let's not forget the twins; they make any player look good so perhaps all the AV's achievements have been due to the twins??? I believe any coach would have achieved the same or more with such caliber players.

YEP, Vigs has to go - was pretty clear when he traded away Erhoff and Torres (which I know nucks woulda told him to watch his hits had he being a canuck still - because of his hit last year). Then he trades away Hodgson for 2 players that didn't even factor in the playoffs (Pahlsson - phfff - we lost Hodgson's goals in that one - Hodgeson was on a role before the trade). I was mad at this trade, if anyone should have gone, it should have being Raymond.

Love Schneiders play - but to keep him another year simply means "confidence" isn't 100% in Luongo - what does that say to a guy - great goaltenders of the past went all the way!

Playing Luo in Boston when he knew Luo didn't do well in Boston - leaving the 4th line in the game when the 4th line kept taking all those penalties.

Leaving the 2 greatest goalscorers on the bench during the shootouts (Crosby didn't do well either, but the Penguins coach kept sending him out and he eventually began to score) - what does that say to the Sedins?

Ballard, Hamhuis, Laps, Maholtra, Weis, Pahlsson, Salo and Hansen have to go.

And, the Sedins need a big, tough "CANADIAN" player with them that can skate and make plays - someone that can hit and take a hit - like Byfulien cleared the way for the Hawks in their Stanley Cup win - after all, the final came down to if Pronger could stop him. The Sedins make anyone look good, they need a big guy like that - where the other teams will tremble when they see that line coming. Kassian first shifts with the Sedins - he slammed the other team's player with the puck into the board and the Sedins picked up the puck and went in on a two-on-one.

Hats off to the Canucks that stood up for teammates, but when it comes down to sustained toughness, the Canucks just don't have that.

Defence was a problem all year - I mean - take a look at all those games where the goaltenders took more than 30 shots on goal, over 40 several times - where was the "D"? Tonights goal against, all 3 canucks in front of the goal did not take Richardson out - had the put him on his behind, he wouldn't have scored - they were so busy trying to get their sticks on the puck - knock the guy down and take the penalty - the canucks were awesome at killing penalties - gotta take that chance.

You don't win back-to-back Pres. Trophy and bow out like that: bad last year and even worse this year.

Where was Kesler - was he hurt - the only time he became a threat was when he took the puck to the net, but most of the time it took his shots from way out above the face-off circles.

vigneault has to go. If the LA coach can get the best out of his players and Hitchcock can do what he's doing right now - vigneault isn't doing all he can, or he is and it just isn't enough!

"VIGNEAULT HAS TO GO!!!!!!!"

I like AV and I don't necessarily want him gone but what I've been missing:

- almost never uses a time-out

- seems to bench "certain" players

- seems to overplay "certain" players

- seems he can't adjust his game plan when a) we face a team that plays the trap B) the game changes (meaning we lead 2-0 and gane gets 2-3)

he needs to get smarter! but I like his interviews. and that's really all I see of him to judge

How many times this season did the Vancouver Canucks fail to be ready at the beginning of a game. Their regular season record means diddly right now. This team wasn't ready for the play offs by any means. Few set lines, boring system every other team had figured out and just no drive.

The second half of the season was pathetic to watch. Things had slipped back to when AV first was the coach. Boring hockey, boring man!

MG, do not let Mac T slip away. Fire AV tomorrow.

I think AV is done too but really Mac T come on what the hell that is a downgrade,Mac T has had one flucky run with the oilers and thats it.I won't want him to coach unless we are rebuilding next year.His stats are crap compare to AV.The highest he finished with the oilers is a 2nd in Northwest division back in 2000-01, and 2 first round exits and 1 lucky run as I mentioned in 8 years his team missed the playoffs 5 times. give me a break with the Mac T talk,its all team 1040 and blake price talking crap about Mac T I won't want him.

Craig MacTavish wasn't good enough for Edmonton, why we he be good enough for the Canucks? Granted he made it to the SCF but out of his 8 seasons with Edmonton they only made the playoffs 3 times.

Say what you want but AV has been a great asset to this team and has coached us to back-to-back President's trophies. Canucks fans are spoiled, most of you are complaining about nothing. There were a few missteps this season but these were failures as an organization as a whole and aside from the Hodgeson-Kassian trade these missteps were not major detraction from the team.

Booth was a good trade in theory. Pahlsson, and Gragnani were good acquisitions and we didn't have to give up a whole lot to get them. I really like Sulzer but was not a good fit with the team and our system.

Getting rid of AV or Bowness would be a huge mistake. Those of you who constantly complain about AV, lets take a look at the standings before he was hired by the team. Have fun reliving the glory days where we barely made the playoffs and consistently missed them altogether.

1997: 9th in West

1998: 13th in West - Last in West

1999: 13th in West - Last in West

2000: 10th in West

2001: 8th in West - lost in 1st round

2002: 8th in West - lost in 1st round

2003: 4th in West - lost in 2nd round

2004: 3rd in West - lost in 1st round

2006: 9th in West

2007: 3rd in West - lost in 2nd round

2008: 11th in West

2009: 3rd in West - lost in 2nd round

2010: 3rd in West - lost in 2nd round

2011: 1st in league - lost in game 7 of SCF

2012: 1st in league - lost in 1st round

We need to play a more defensive style, and AV knows how to from his 06-07 days.

This Canucks team has potential to be a great defensive team, we just play this stupid free wheeling game for whatever reason and can't back it up.

MG needs to find one or two solid, physical defencemen to complement Edler and Bieksa, get rid of our small defencemen like Ballard and use our great goaltending to play solid defensive games.

We need to play a more defensive style, and AV knows how to from his 06-07 days.

This Canucks team has potential to be a great defensive team, we just play this stupid free wheeling game for whatever reason and can't back it up.

MG needs to find one or two solid, physical defencemen to complement Edler and Bieksa, get rid of our small defencemen like Ballard and use our great goaltending to play solid defensive games.

AV has been a good coach but we need a change. Ever notice how he is the only coahc that dosent scream and even talk behind teh bench at games? All I see is him giggling or chewing his gum. We need a motivator, someone who if a player messes up they will be sure they know they did and will be scared to do that mistake again.

Maybe AV and Bowness go. AV is a great coach but line experiments in the playoffs? When you're losing? That's not putting players in a position to succeed.

One thing that would be stupid= firing Brown. The PP may not have been great in this series but look what he has done for the PP over his tenure--he turned it into the best PP in hockey, that's what.

I don't know if a coaching change gives the team a better chance to win big. It's a big risk. But selfishly, as a fan, I think it would be really nice to see someone like MacT behind the bench.

I feel that the first round series loss is karma for last year.

Last year's chicago series highlighted lack of adjustments after game 3, the Nashville series highlighted poor gameplan and boston series highlighted both but the excuse was injuries which drove me nuts.

I think ppl realize now that Chicago the last 3 yrs, nashville and Boston actually defended pretty much the same way against the Canucks as LA this year. It's obvious now without excuses that the coaching game plan is ineffective.

In terms of coaching replacement I'd go with skill set and need rather than big name. But seeing how ovi, semin and kopitar can thrive even under defensive systems its key that pure offensive players and snipers can succeed here.

Archived