Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Av And Coaching Issues Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
163 replies to this topic

#151 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

We won't know what happened in the Hodgson situation until we get his side of things. You can't possibly know what has happened in a dispute by listening to one side. I'm appalled at how most people seem to accept whatever Gillis says. In our courts we have a prosecution side and a defence side for a reason. Please wait until we get the other side.

#152 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yes, he does seem to.. We've seen a lot of young talent pass through this team in the last few tears, hard to say where any of them would have been however. I'll buy the concept we are trying to get veterans to go for a cup run, but that seems to have not worked so well.

#153 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

I don't get it, who wasn't developed correctly under AV?

Schneider? Hodgson? Grabner?

It seems they all turned out to be good players. Kassian has only been here for a month and a half, calm down.

Grabner was at the AHL development, Hodgson was thanks to Gary Roberts and his willingness to compete, Schneider was AHL development. Raymond, kesler, and Burrows on the other hand was thanks to AV.

Edited by DreamHerO, 24 April 2012 - 03:54 PM.

Posted Image

#154 resdog

resdog

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

But I do agree with the OP... Coach V loves his two-way grinders and has developed guys like Burrows, Kesler and ... ugh... Raymond into good ones (well Raymond is at least speedy and good at back-checking unless he's trying to check Kopitar).

Agreed, AV has helped develop a large chunk of the team's core. its not taht he doesn't like young talent, he just expects them to buy nto the team system and develop into defensively responsible 2 two way players.

It's obvious he's not a fan of more offensive, skill players like the aforementioned trio of Shirokov, Grabner and Hodgson who had obvious potential and raw talent.

I think he is not a fan of 1 dimensional offensive players who are a defensive liability and don't want to work within the coaches system and improve their defensive game.
Perception is 9/10ths of the flaw

#155 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Kassian got the ice he earned. Hodgson got lots of ice that he didn't earn.

Grabner stopped trying.

Not entirely sure on what happened with Shirokov.

Hodgson got ice he didn't earn??
Posted Image

#156 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Grabner was at the AHL development, Hodgson was thanks to Gary Roberts and his willingness to compete, Schneider was AHL development. Raymond, kesler, and Burrows on the other hand was thanks to AV.

That's also part of what I dont understand. AV isn't responsible for the whole development process, so firing him for that reason doesn't really make sense.

#157 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

We won't know what happened in the Hodgson situation until we get his side of things. You can't possibly know what has happened in a dispute by listening to one side. I'm appalled at how most people seem to accept whatever Gillis says. In our courts we have a prosecution side and a defence side for a reason. Please wait until we get the other side.

The other side was asked many times what his story was, and said the same thing repeatedly.... "Like I said" um, blah, blah, "I enjoyed my time here", blah, blah, "Like I said" blah blah, "I enjoyed my time here" er, um, blah blah.

As for the young talent issue - no 21 year old has made the Detroit Red Wings in the modern era - youngsters on contenders need to wait their turn and develop into solid two way players. AV handles young players exactly as he should - he plays his veterans because his job is to win, not spoon feed young players - that is what the AHL is for.

#158 DCR

DCR

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

AV is not a fan of players who only want to play at the other end of the ice.

#159 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Agreed, AV has helped develop a large chunk of the team's core. its not taht he doesn't like young talent, he just expects them to buy nto the team system and develop into defensively responsible 2 two way players.

I think he is not a fan of 1 dimensional offensive players who are a defensive liability and don't want to work within the coaches system and improve their defensive game.

The whole Hodgson is a huge liability is massively overblown. He's a positive in turnover ratio, a rookie putting up 40+ points in his whole first year playing with like 13 minutes, close to 3 minute below most of the top rookies. He's far from a Kovalchuck. he's positive in the +/- ratio playing on a crapty Buffalo team (no offence).
Posted Image

#160 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

Just listened to Botchford on TSN suggesting that MG did not give AV a vote of confidence in the press conference today... Not sure what press conference Botchford was watching, but MG very clearly defended his coach - but do Botchford and Gallagher ever let the truth get in the way? That probably doesn't make for a very good story for the Province scribblers who have numbered AV's days for quite some time, but MG did not exactly mince words - he said that he had to receive feedback regarding himself first, and not presuming to move on to AV before that - but then he certainly made his own endorsement of AV very clear.

#161 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

AV is not a fan of players who only want to play at the other end of the ice.

It's the coach's job to make them buy in. See Alex semin and Alex ovechkin in dale hunter's system. See kopitar in LA's system.

pure offensive talent is next in line from showstopper goalie in terms of competitive advantage.

What most people don't see is that AV has this level of success with mostly grinders but he would probably do worse instead of better with more pure offensive players. Most coaches would love to have offensive players to help give them an advantage. Teaching D is easier than teaching pure offense as is shown in the case of kesler and his struggles.

Without pure offensive players I don't see how the canucks can get an advantage over other playoff teams. They just seem to be a team that uses too much energy playing uptempo for low value results that gets bailed out by goaltending.

#162 bananian

bananian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

MacTavish is just as bad as AV wtf.

#163 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,599 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

I still think we should fire AV, and Scott Arniel too while we are at it.

(Man our organization has some real issue's with coaching)

zackass.png

#164 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

ya totally our coaches suck so bad. Alain v is as bad as rick ley was, id rather bring back crawford than have a/v stumble in the playoifs against better coaches

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.