Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Was Kes Ever 100% This Year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#61 tayloreg

tayloreg

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

I saw a couple stories before the playoffs started of Kesler saying he came back too soon from injury and was still expeirencing pain. What I dont understand is why he didn't take a week off or so before the playoffs started for some rest.

I think we've all heard the rumours about how Kesler came back too soon, is still experiencing pain, yadda, yadda. I recall that one article, two weeks before the end of the regular season, Kesler interviewed and saying how he's had to focus on his defensive game because he was still in pain. Great timing for the article, coming just after it was pretty clear he wasn't ever going to go on a roll this year.

But for my part, I don't fall for any of it.

The game after that article containing the poor Kesler story, I listened to AV himself say how he had tried that night to get Kesler going by double shifting him. Sorry, but a coach doesn't double shift a guy who has an injury and/or is in pain.

A coach also doesn't consistently - throughout the entire season - give an injured or hurting guy more ice time than he does his top producers. If Kesler was really injured or in pain in any way that effected his game, he would not have been played the season averaging an entire minute more than Henrik and one and half minutes more than Daniel.

And anyway, being injured or in pain doesn't explain how many times Kesler was busy looking for a penalty call in the offensive zone while the puck was in the Canucks defensive zone, how many times he refused to play the team game of "pass the puck", how many times he bailed on post-game scrums because he was too busy pouting to be the leader he claimed to becoming.

Basically, being injured or in pain doesn't explain Kesler's mentality and general attitude. Remember Linden (for only one example), injured, bloodied, screaming in agony between periods when they injected him with meds to keep him going - and he inspired his team, he didn't go all nasty petty negative pouting.

Really tired of Kesler and the excuses he's been given all season.

#62 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

Did Bredan also shoot on 2 on 0s? Did he always try to go through all five other players instead of passing the puck?

what i meant was how brendans play tailed off the year after his surgery
GOD BE PRAISED

#63 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

Kesler=Heart and Soul of the Vancouver Canucks
GOD BE PRAISED

#64 Nomorelosers

Nomorelosers

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

He was 100% enough to embarrass himself (and his team) by diving at skating speed, and flopping around on the ice like a fish having a seizure. Does someone with a real hip injury do that? No.

He's a complete waste of time and money...no guts, no heart...

#65 hank&dan

hank&dan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Lets be honest, Kesler has only had ONE good playoff series in his career. Not many centers can be effective if they suck at passing...
Posted Image

But as usual, Bieksa makes the routine defensive play a hair-raising adventure.

#66 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

That is one of the most stupid posts I've seen tonight. Ryan Kesler is a franchise player. His price tag is that high for valid reason. He IS a team player, this guy could be Captain, heck, in my opinion, should be captain. Kes is a warrior, a workhorse, when he doesn't score goals, he makes all those simple unnoticeable plays that he doesn't get enough credit for. There is a reason he won the Selke trophy last year. ANY team other than the Canucks hates to play against Kesler, but in a heartbeat would trade for him. Ryan Kesler is my favourite player, and always will be.

I see you got plus 3 from the other Kesler fans. I like Kesler too, but warrior, workhorse, franchise player? Not this year. I am not advocating trading him, or any such thing, simply responding to your post.

1) Puck hog
He did not center a line, he played all year like a winger leaving 2 players out in the cold. When Higgins was hot on the 2nd, he was hot alone. Kesler had potentially great wingers, but never used them. Booth for instance. Anyone else notice Booth was starting to pick up the Twins style of play, finding them open and making passes? Ever see Kesler doing this? No, not this year.

2) No clutch plays
Hank scored this last game. Found a way. Played without his brother very well regular season. Kesler, no goals in 17 games. 5 assists in the same 17 games. (that's on pace for a 25 point season BTW, Raymond was getting more points than that, Pahlsson and Lapiere were close to that)

3) Embellishment
The game 1 diving antics were not the actions of captain material. They were the frustrated antics of someone who needed a captain to talk him out of his ridiculous ways.

4) Back check
Anyone remeber the Kesler of old who was stealing pucks from the other team? I didn't see him this year. I saw Raymond, Pahlsson, Hansen, Booth and Higgins and Burrows pulling it off, but Kesler, not this year.

Lets face it, Kes disappeared. Now, I hope it was just a bad year. Possibly fatigue left over from last year, maybe he never got back to true form after surgery. I also hope this longer rest gives the whole team renewed longevity next year, but this year, Kes was nowhere near the attributes you accredited to him.

Edited by WL Canuck Fan, 23 April 2012 - 08:57 AM.

Sig too big.

#67 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Kes was definitely a slower this year; in my opinion a lot slower. His game is speed and if he doesn't have it you see the results.
- Will he get back to top speed? I obviously don't know; but if the operation was a success why isn't he there now?
- most of the veterans looked mentally weary. (Not enough young blood in my opinion.)

#68 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Kes played like **** this year.
Posted Image

#69 kesler_is_clutch

kesler_is_clutch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

he came back a month early! he rushed it when he shouldnt of! it was dumb of the management to let that happen!

#70 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

I was very disappointed in Kesler's play this year. He was a warrior, playing through injury last year. I'd like to think injuries is the story?

But I remember AV making a quote that essentially said Ryan needed to pick it up midway through the year. Keslers response was, geez, "maybe the coach ought to come to me to say that!"

Both player (thats a wanker response; he was playing crappy) and coach (who should not be calling out players in the media) were in the wrong. It was the best indicator, the Hodgson trade aside, that the year was going the wrong direction.

:sick:

Hi all,

I don't know about you, I have the feeling that Kesler was playing injured the entire season. I don't think he ever fully recovered from his off season surgery. To me, he never seemed to get his legs back and he was a step behind where he was last year. Hopefully a long break this summer will have him back to the Kes we all know and love.

#71 RGC

RGC

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

I see you got plus 3 from the other Kesler fans. I like Kesler too, but warrior, workhorse, franchise player? Not this year. I am not advocating trading him, or any such thing, simply responding to your post.

1) Puck hog
He did not center a line, he played all year like a winger leaving 2 players out in the cold. When Higgins was hot on the 2nd, he was hot alone. Kesler had potentially great wingers, but never used them. Booth for instance. Anyone else notice Booth was starting to pick up the Twins style of play, finding them open and making passes? Ever see Kesler doing this? No, not this year.

2) No clutch plays
Hank scored this last game. Found a way. Played without his brother very well regular season. Kesler, no goals in 17 games. 5 assists in the same 17 games. (that's on pace for a 25 point season BTW, Raymond was getting more points than that, Pahlsson and Lapiere were close to that)

3) Embellishment
The game 1 diving antics were not the actions of captain material. They were the frustrated antics of someone who needed a captain to talk him out of his ridiculous ways.

4) Back check
Anyone remeber the Kesler of old who was stealing pucks from the other team? I didn't see him this year. I saw Raymond, Pahlsson, Hansen, Booth and Higgins and Burrows pulling it off, but Kesler, not this year.

Lets face it, Kes disappeared. Now, I hope it was just a bad year. Possibly fatigue left over from last year, maybe he never got back to true form after surgery. I also hope this longer rest gives the whole team renewed longevity next year, but this year, Kes was nowhere near the attributes you accredited to him.

1. I saw him passing a lot in this series and not taking the puck himself except when necessary.
2. This is stupid. The goal that won us game 3, who was screening Quick on that shot? That's right, Kesler. Like I said, even if he's not scoring he does everything else on the ice and he does it better than anyone else on the team.
3. I saw one embellishment after the Kings embellished, so I wasn't mad at that at all.
4. Kesler is our best forward in the defensive zone and was in this series too, I don't know what you're watching. He always backchecks hard and with speed.

Without Kesler the Canucks lose any dynamism the team has (which isn't a lot to begin with). You're all crazy, honestly.

#72 Nomorelosers

Nomorelosers

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

he came back a month early! he rushed it when he shouldnt of! it was dumb of the management to let that happen!

Sincerely, Kesler's mom

#73 DarthANGER

DarthANGER

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Kesler=Heart and Soul of the Vancouver Canucks

Oh yeah?! Was that heart and soul he displayed in the series? If that is the heart and soul of this team it needs to go elsewhere :angry:

#74 EV604

EV604

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

His EGO was at a Million Percent

#75 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

IMO, he was back too soon. Too big of a surgery with not enough rehab time.

Kesler wasn't the same this year.
Posted Image

#76 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

he needs to relax, get better this off season, he was not 100%! he was not needed to come back so early, that was supposed to be codys chance to slot in and he never really got the fair shot, so we shall see how he gets 100% in the off season. i don't think his season was a one hit wonder last year. we all know kes is very talented and needs the rest to get better. high expectations for a rebound year next year.

#77 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Kesler is a goof...his online antics in game one SAD! His constant pouting was very distracting. Thought Booth and he played similiar I never had worry about booth taking a dive or been reactionary on the ice and skate off with ugly looks on his face.

#78 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,500 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

If Kesler was 100% we would've won the series.

#79 Nomorelosers

Nomorelosers

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

If Kesler was 100% we would've won the series.

Wow....just...wow...

#80 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

No. he wasn't 100%.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#81 Unpredictables

Unpredictables

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

I noticed that too! Especially, last night. He was pretty slow yesterday. I really hope he'll bounce back next season... Ohhh.. 5-6 more months til I see them again.

#82 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

As some announcer on 1040 said, if management knew that Kes was not 100% and they still traded Hodgson ?? Then the idiodicy is on Gillis ... oh, I mean his 'underlings' who insisted on the trade.

#83 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

He never once looked like the dominant Kesler from before the surgery. He should go to Germany and get that thing Kobe Bryant's getting, blood-platelet therapy or whatever.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#84 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

i dont care if he was in pain he sux i want da cup!! trade kesler and the sedins for brown and richards!

Edited by cIutch, 23 April 2012 - 03:25 PM.

Posted Image

#85 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

As some announcer on 1040 said, if management knew that Kes was not 100% and they still traded Hodgson ?? Then the idiodicy is on Gillis ... oh, I mean his 'underlings' who insisted on the trade.

will you shut the hell up

hodgson wouldnt do anything in the playoffs

guys got the footspeed of slug and would have been shoved off every puck he tried to get at
Posted Image

#86 Nomorelosers

Nomorelosers

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Who's 'a 100%' in the playoffs?

So, if only he was 100%, and had a good night sleep, and ate a really good meal before each game, and had the perfect linemates, and the dog didn't eat his homework, and it didn't rain on Tuesday, and no one said anything bad about him...if we could just have that...Kesler would be a BEAST!

#87 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

I don't think Kes and Manny were physically ready to play this year. They couldn't train in the summer and were both a step behind the entire season. I think they will both be much better next season.

Kesler won't be going anywhere. He's part of the future and is a legit top tier 2nd line C in the NHL.

#88 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

His EGO was at a Million Percent

lmao and you know this how
Posted Image

#89 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

At least now he'll have all summer to train.
Posted Image

#90 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

His 5 on 5 offensive production was marginally better than Manny Malhotra & Max Lapierre's (and significantly worse than the top line, Hansen and Higgins). Production being the ability to produce points with ice time given ( 5 points in 100 minutes the same production as 10 points in 200 minutes).

Kesler played like a third liner last season. If you gave him 2 minutes per night on the 2nd unit he would have finished with around 37 points (using Burrows' numbers). He would have still averaged 18:30 per game.

When you look closely his production is almost identical to the 07-08 season. Which Kesler will we get next season?
Sig too big.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.