The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler To The Wing? Why Not?

Super_Canuck

Well another disappointing end to the season. Oh well us Canucks fans, we've been through this many times before, we should all be used to it by now. We're well conditioned for tough losses.

Anyway, What I really wanted to know is that why is it that Kesler cannot be moved to the wing? I've suggested this before and have always heard "oh no no you can't put Kes on the wing". Well why not? Many players in history have switched positions then why can't it be done with Kes? Maybe it's something obvious that I'm missing? Sorry if this question is so naive.

IMO, Kesler is not a playmaker, he is a shoot 1st guy. The guy doesn't use his wingers very well, when he's coming up the ice, everyone knows what he's going to be doing and that's shooting (most of the time shooting into the D-man's legs). He is so predictable. He is a great checker but as a 2 way player, you cannot put him in the same category as a Jonathan Toews. (Also for all you suggesting that Kes should be the Captain, I don't think he is ready for a big leadership role like that. The guy still has some growing up to do, he is still immature. Hank is doing just fine as Captain)

When Hodgson was here, I thought he had taken enough strides that by next year, he could be our 2nd line centre. This isn't a post to dwell on the Hodgson trade, but don't you guys think that it would've been a good idea to put Kesler on Hodgson's wing? or for that matter, any other playmaking centre's wing?

I'm not here suggesting that we should trade Kesler, all I'm saying is that he would be a better fit on the wing and maybe get him a playmaking center. If you disagree, and think it's not a good idea to make him a winger, please do explain. Thanks!

I actually thought you meant the Wings.

Kesler is surly and doesn't respond well to any criticism or suggestions. I think if the Canucks asked him to move to the wing he would just sulk. Also, it is not like the Canucks are stacked down the middle since they traded Hodgson.

Well another disappointing end to the season. Oh well us Canucks fans, we've been through this many times before, we should all be used to it by now. We're well conditioned for tough losses.

Anyway, What I really wanted to know is that why is it that Kesler cannot be moved to the wing? I've suggested this before and have always heard "oh no no you can't put Kes on the wing". Well why not? Many players in history have switched positions then why can't it be done with Kes? Maybe it's something obvious that I'm missing? Sorry if this question is so naive.

IMO, Kesler is not a playmaker, he is a shoot 1st guy. The guy doesn't use his wingers very well, when he's coming up the ice, everyone knows what he's going to be doing and that's shooting (most of the time shooting into the D-man's legs). He is so predictable. He is a great checker but as a 2 way player, you cannot put him in the same category as a Jonathan Toews. (Also for all you suggesting that Kes should be the Captain, I don't think he is ready for a big leadership role like that. The guy still has some growing up to do, he is still immature. Hank is doing just fine as Captain)

When Hodgson was here, I thought he had taken enough strides that by next year, he could be our 2nd line centre. This isn't a post to dwell on the Hodgson trade, but do you guys not think that it would've been a good idea to put Kesler on Hodgson's wing? or for that matter, any other playmaking centre's wing?

I'm not here suggesting that we should trade Kesler, all I'm saying is that he would be a better fit on the wing and maybe get him a playmaking center. If you disagree, and think it's not a good idea to make him a winger, please do explain. Thanks!

Cuz AV is stubborn and Kesler is his favourite. You won't see some young hot shot replace one of AV's favourite without a real fight. Unlike in Philly where they let their youngesters flourish without consequence.

Being 5'9 180 lbs is not that small, also, he is surprisingly strong, and has a very solid playmaking game. His passing is great and we need a good playmaker for Kesler and Booth. As I said, if Schroeder comes out strong at training camp and pre-season, why not?

Kesler was a BIG disappointment this year.

In game one he was an embarrassment with his embellishments.

As far a what Av thinks, it doesn't matter as his tenure is over. No answer for Dustin Brown's antics, the best example would be Av throwing Hank under the bus for taking a cheap shot. We need to rebuild starting with the coach, like it or not. The coach is too "cocky" and that's why we have players that act the same. They've all been taken down a notch now and hopefully they start to realize they aren't near good enough.

"MacTavish" time.

I am probably one of the bigger Kesler fans on these boards and I think that something new has to be done to get him going it just seems like he isn't playing to what we all know is his full capability, So I say why not? What is it going to hurt to at least try? If Kes can't step it up and stop being so selfish with the puck and actually use his team mates more then I say we should stick him on the wing. Then again giving his personality this may not actually work but something new has to be done! Also I know this is slightly off topic but is anyone else wondering what happened to the AMEX line?

I was thinking this all season. There were practices where they say Hodgson was centering the 2nd line. It just never appeared in games.

I don't know why, But I always get the impression that Kesler is just too stubborn to let Hodgson take his spot, even if it's just for one game.

I was thinking this all season. There were practices where they say Hodgson was centering the 2nd line. It just never appeared in games.

I don't know why, But I always get the impression that Kesler is just too stubborn to let Hodgson take his spot, even if it's just for one game.

I actually thought you meant the Wings.

Kesler is surly and doesn't respond well to any criticism or suggestions. I think if the Canucks asked him to move to the wing he would just sulk. Also, it is not like the Canucks are stacked down the middle since they traded Hodgson.

Archived