The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Giveaways Were Absolutely Our Number 1 Problem

OnlyCanucks

The Kings scored a total of 12 goals in the series and I count 6 that were the direct result of giveaways off our sticks.

Game 1: The winning goal and the empty netter.

Game 2: Both Shortys

Game 5: Both goals.

Obviously a lack of offence or stellar defence by the kings was a huge problem. But I think our defence played great as well except for a handful of monumental giveaways. I don't think the Kings were able to create anything on their own and without us handing them those goals, the series would have been very different. So I think what that shows is that we are able to play a good defensive system that is very effective and is able to shut other teams down for the most part, but our breakdowns are monumental and cost us games.

Does anyone have any insight into why they think our giveaways are so costly, and what we can do to reduce these breakdowns?

Kings also did a great job of creating pressure on their forecheck and pressuring our D-men on the point. Somehow, our D couldn't adjust to this and made poor decisions.

I don't think our D played great at all. They did an adequate job but there were too many times when we were pinned deep in our end scrambling all over the place. I would trade our entire defence (except Hamhuis) for a Kings like D. Doughty, Scuderi, Mitchell, Voynoz, Greene, Martinez are all big, tough, great skaters and mentally strong. Canucks D (except Hamhuis) are good skaters, turnover prone, small in size and mentally weak (way too many defensive zone breakdowns..i.e. 3 Canucks guys in front of the net all watching Doughty skate behind the net without taking the man in front / Leaving Carter wide open in front of the net 1 min into OT).

We have so much work to do on our backend and if Gillis thinks our D is ok, we will continue to lose in the 1st or 2nd round for many years

Defence was brutal. We may not have been ventilated but that's only because of our goaltending. The better defensive team won the series, won the Cup last season and will win again this season.

Not only too many turnovers but odd-man rushes against, poor defensive positioning and an inability of our defence to get out of their own zone lead to constant pressure against us.

This whole idea of having a fast, offensive defence that scores goals is bloody rediculous when it can't do its number 1 job. Look at all the solid Cup winners in the past - their defence is solid and their team is built from the goalie on out. Us on the otherhand, we have big forwards and tiny defencemen. Alberts is our one big physical defenceman and he's on the bench. Gragnani is our one playoff performer (7 points in 7 Buffalo games in the post season) and he's on the bench. Instead AV puts out Ballard (who played well, sure) and Tanev (who was terrible at times).

Canucks were lazy and couldn't handle the King's forecheck. They seem to be always looking for the lazy way out. The D would get the puck and try to hold it and hope for a flyby or do some no look reverse pass or something. The problem was LA weren't buying it. They were forechecking hard and the Canucks litle tricks to get the puck out didn't work.

You need to move and move the puck quick when a team is forechecking like that just like a heavy pressure penalty kill. Unfortunately that takes effort that the Canucks weren't willing to put out. Raymond and Hansen were able to get the puck out at times because they didn't wait around they just skated hard out of the zone when they got the puck.

Glad someone else noticed this. They turned the puck over in their own zone 30 times in game 5. I counted.

This was a problem for this team all year, and must be addressed in the off season. I think both the forwards and the defense are to blame, but let's finally face reality here. Guys like Bieksa, Edler and Hamhuis are over rated in this market. The D core needs some serious help in the form of at least one legit number one defenseman, preferably a puck mover that can QB the powerplay.

I suggested Luongo for Mike Green about a month or so ago, and a lot of you scoffed. Now it's Washington that would scoff at the deal, given the way Holtby has emerged there.

Mike Green is the difference maker in Washington. His injury struggles this year are why Washington fell to 7th in the East, and why Ovechkin's numbers have decreased so dramatically.

Green / Edler

Bieksa / Hamhuis

Now that's a top 4 that has everyone where they belong. And I'd still look to upgrade 'Behind-the-net' Bieksa at the first opportunity that presented itself.

1) The laissez-faire attitiude of this team and its coach and the total lack or sense of urgency is its number one problem.

These guys barely seemed motivated most the time. unexcusable. "saving it for the playoffs" ya right.

Every year playoffs turn into warfare and we built a team that doesnt like to wear it's work boots.

We need to make significent changes in the off season if we want to go deep in the playoffs.

The leadership core isnt getting it done.

2) Heart of a Canuck ?

I'm sick of seeing our star players get abused. Its hard to cheer for a team that doesnt stick up for itself.

we went out like chumps this year and both Duncan Keith and Dustin Brown destroyed the Sedins with zero retribution.

we were supposed to have Bitz and Kassian around to deal with that.

Brian Boyle was messing with Ottawa's star player and he got absolutely destroyed by Matt Carkner then Chris Neil, he wont be doing that again. That is the kind of response i want to see from this team, not facewashing. I thought after last year's Boston series we would never be subjected to watching our team get abused, like groundhog day all over again.

Lazyness lack of finishing checks, lack of urgency, lack of motivation , lack of physicality , lack of heart.

No one respects the Canucks and takes liberties on its stars at will.

Going to be hard for me to buck down next year on a season ticket share without this getting addressed.

Yappierre's antics are an embarrassment, Keslers diving etc...

2) Defense core ?

Edler -a truly horrific series, are you smoking kush on game days ?

Hamhuis, a terrible giveaway to think about all summer,

Bieksa ? ya we know you want a career in TV after you hang them up but how about less chirping more hitting next season,twitter quotes aren't that important.

Salo and Ballard were ok.

3) Forwards lack of scoring and hitting

No scoring, been a problem since last years playoffs w/Boston.

This team can't produce.

really noticed that no one was finishing checks last night accept Dale Wiese in the first period.

talk about a lack of heart considering your season is on the line.

Raymond,Malhotra bye bye. sorry guys but you're the weakest links at this point.

I'd like to see Manny stay with the club at some other level/position. Maybe he could be faceoff coach.

4) Coaching

Lack of motivation, lack of making adjustments, a PP that goes -3 etc....

i wanna see a guy back there that isnt the teams best friend but an ass kicker who can show some emotion back there once in awhile.

The 1st goal LA scores we have 4 of our guys standing in front of the net doing NOTHING.

Your season is on the line and you're not clearing guys and smashing them ?

101 boys, cmon that was pathetic. saw this all season long.

That goal right there really summed the series up nicely , oh wait a minute, the O.T winner did too.

Hamhuis pissing around makes a soft play/turnover....textbook, also saw that repeatedly by most of our D for the past 2-3 months.

We need 2 solid BIG Defensemen additions this off season.

guys that play nasty and clear the front of the net.

2 puckmovers and 4 monsters back there should be the formula.

Turnovers were huge, definitely.

The worst part is it was steady guys like Edler and Hamhuis that made the biggest mistakes.

I'd expect it from MAG or Rome, but not our 2 best d-men.

The team was outplayed in every aspect, so turnovers weren't the only issue, but Edler's blunders cost us game 2 in my mind.

Hopefully it was just a fluke, and not a sign that Edler struggles with post season pressure.

Sign a top norris trophy d man who can play 25-30 minutes a night. We haven't had one of these guys...ever. Most great teams have one, and i think it's time we ought to get one.

IMO this would solve a lot of our mental lapses in the defensive zone. Having a guy who can dominate the defensive zone, move the puck and also chip in with a few goals would make our team so much better and solve so many problems.

Defence was brutal. We may not have been ventilated but that's only because of our goaltending. The better defensive team won the series, won the Cup last season and will win again this season.

Not only too many turnovers but odd-man rushes against, poor defensive positioning and an inability of our defence to get out of their own zone lead to constant pressure against us.

This whole idea of having a fast, offensive defence that scores goals is bloody rediculous when it can't do its number 1 job. Look at all the solid Cup winners in the past - their defence is solid and their team is built from the goalie on out. Us on the otherhand, we have big forwards and tiny defencemen. Alberts is our one big physical defenceman and he's on the bench. Gragnani is our one playoff performer (7 points in 7 Buffalo games in the post season) and he's on the bench. Instead AV puts out Ballard (who played well, sure) and Tanev (who was terrible at times).

Archived