The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "schneider Is Unproven Argument"

Tangelos

Hello there folks, we've all heard it before, that Schneider is "unproven". Now I've spent a lot of time trying to understand this argument as it seems to be the only one the Luongo "lovers" can come up with for why Schneider shouldn't be the number 1 guy. I have concluded that this is in fact not an argument but BS that spews from those that fear change for whatever reason.

So here's what I've come up with:

According to you luongo "lovers", Schneider is as you put it, "unproven". Okay so basically what I understand is that in order to prove himself, he has to play a lot of games, but in order to play a lot of games, he has to prove himself. You see how I'm having a hard time understanding the whole "unproven" argument? It's a lose-lose situation for Schneider! He can't prove himself because we won't play him as our number 1! And we won't play him as our number 1 because he's unproven!! GO FIGURE!!!

This is some Inception crap am I right!!!

I can appreciate the fact that some of you love Luongo but I think the people who realize that this is a business and NOT a popularity contest will agree that he has (for lack of better words) "sh*t the bed" on numerous BIG occasions and that change is needed.

Hello there folks, we've all heard it before, that Schneider is "unproven". Now I've spent a lot of time trying to understand this argument as it seems to be the only one the Luongo "lovers" can come up with for why Schneider shouldn't be the number 1 guy. I have concluded that this is in fact not an argument but BS that spews from those that fear change for whatever reason.

So here's what I've come up with:

According to you luongo "lovers", Schneider is as you put it, "unproven". Okay so basically what I understand is that in order to prove himself, he has to play a lot of games, but in order to play a lot of games, he has to prove himself. You see how I'm having a hard time understanding the whole "unproven" argument? It's a lose-lose situation for Schneider! He can't prove himself because we won't play him as our number 1! And we won't play him as our number 1 because he's unproven!! GO FIGURE!!!

This is some Inception crap am I right!!!

I can appreciate the fact that some of you love Luongo but I think the people who realize that this is a business and NOT a popularity contest will agree that he has (for lack of better words) "sh*t the bed" on numerous BIG occasions and that change is needed.

The type of people who still want to keep Luongo are the type of people who're afraid of change and like to hold on to players beyond their usefulness/age. It's the same people that wanted to keep guys like Mitchell (really, instead of Hamhuis???), Morrison, Ohlund, Linden, etc, etc, etc. even though they were past their primes or had injury issues. They become attached to these player and think it's being 'unfair' getting rid of them....this is a business. And the teams that are too slow to adapt simply fail. Schneider is younger, cheaper, better than Luongo, the choice is clear who they should go with.

Your argument is just ridiculous... people are saying that there is no guarantee that Schneider is going to be an elite goaltender because he is not proven (eg. he has not done it yet). That is a fact, he has never been a #1 goalie in the NHL.

What it simply means is that you take risk if you are going to move forward with him... he could totally suck. It happens VERY regularly to highly touted young goaltenders in this league, they have a good year or two and then are never heard from again.

That isn't even arguing that we should or shouldn't keep him... it is objective fact, not a matter of opinion. You invent a ridiculous argument that no one has made (that it is somehow against the laws of physics for Schneider to "prove" himself) in order to try to make your point.

I personally believe that we should move Luongo, but mainly that is because of the value for dollar in a cap world. Luongo is still the less risky and more proven goalie, but there is a pretty reasonable likelihood that Schneider will be as good for the next couple years. With Luongo you know that you will get a top 10 goalie in the league, and most likely a top 5. With Schneider you could get a top 3 or something that turns into a mess very quickly... no one, including people who know a lot more about hockey than you can be sure what it is going to be at this point.

Schneider is also likely going to be quit a bit cheaper (1st year starters don't get $5+ million per season... sorry to break it to folks who are suggesting it). So purely on value and considering the risk factors, he could be an upgrade in the near term.

The type of people who still want to keep Luongo are the type of people who're afraid of change and like to hold on to players beyond their usefulness/age. It's the same people that wanted to keep guys like Mitchell (really, instead of Hamhuis???), Morrison, Ohlund, Linden, etc, etc, etc. even though they were past their primes or had injury issues. They become attached to these player and think it's being 'unfair' getting rid of them....this is a business. And the teams that are too slow to adapt simply fail. Schneider is younger, cheaper, better than Luongo, the choice is clear who they should go with.

Schneider is being held far above by many people here which is completely ridiculous. When you consider what the two have accomplished. Luongo taking us to the finals last year. And playing great this season and the first two playoff games. It wasn't because Lu was playing bad that Schneider played. It's much easier playing behind a top goalie like luongo and having the 'safety net'. Not that Schneider is a bad goalie, but when he can't fall back on Lu and he has that number 1 goalie pressure added, you simply don't know how Cory will perform. Vrs a goalie that we know how he performs in Lu.

I would be happy with either luongo or Schneider. But I think if Lu wants to stay and his NTC then Schneider has to go. And that we will get a great return for him. There is nothing wrong with keeping Lu on board. Since luongo joined Vancouver we have been nothing short of extremely fortunate to have him. Either goalie I is going to be fine. But saying Schneider is better right now as a backup with a safety net vrs a proven starter. That's just stupid.

Your argument is just ridiculous... people are saying that there is no guarantee that Schneider is going to be an elite goaltender because he is not proven (eg. he has not done it yet). That is a fact, he has never been a #1 goalie in the NHL.

What it simply means is that you take risk if you are going to move forward with him... he could totally suck. It happens VERY regularly to highly touted young goaltenders in this league, they have a good year or two and then are never heard from again.

That isn't even arguing that we should or shouldn't keep him... it is objective fact, not a matter of opinion. You invent a ridiculous argument that no one has made (that it is somehow against the laws of physics for Schneider to "prove" himself) in order to try to make your point.

I personally believe that we should move Luongo, but mainly that is because of the value for dollar in a cap world. Luongo is still the less risky and more proven goalie, but there is a pretty reasonable likelihood that Schneider will be as good for the next couple years. With Luongo you know that you will get a top 10 goalie in the league, and most likely a top 5. With Schneider you could get a top 3 or something that turns into a mess very quickly... no one, including people who know a lot more about hockey than you can be sure what it is going to be at this point.

Schneider is also likely going to be quit a bit cheaper (1st year starters don't get $5+ million per season... sorry to break it to folks who are suggesting it). So purely on value and considering the risk factors, he could be an upgrade in the near term.

Well the fact that Luongo is actually still playing at an elite level kind of nullifies your entire argument... as does the Mitchell argument, he was the best defenceman on either team this series.

I am someone who actually thinks Luongo should move, I just don't like people who have an inability to grasp basic objective reality and facts.

Not saying I agree or disagree but at what point did you consider Schneider proven enough to take over the #1 spot from our all time wins leader, #2 most shutouts from active goaltenders #16 overall?

If he was all of a sudden at the beginning of this year given the number 1 roll do you honestly think being thrust into it and not being eased into playing more than half a season over time he would have done better than Luongo ?

Archived