The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "schneider Is Unproven Argument"

Tangelos

yeah i didn't reply cause i didnt really unerst

HOLY CRAP, PLAYERS WITH NTCs GET TRADED ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And again, how does moving Lu's 9 years of salary screw up our cap, it does the opposite.

You have made a fairly massive mistake in logic...

People have made the statement:

"Schneider is unproven"

That is an objective fact, it is true and not arguable. If you want to argue it, you need to go look up the definition of "proof" because you are simply wrong.

You are suggesting by saying the above, people are actually meaning:

"Schneider should never get a chance to prove himself"

.... that simply isn't true and is something you invented to try to bolster your weak argument. Even the people who think we should keep Luongo are saying that Schneider should be getting a chance to be a starter in the NHL next season.

I know Schneider is unproven because it is an actual fact. He has never been a #1 goalie, he has never won a playoff series in the NHL (he has a grand total of 1 playoff win in his career), he has never played 60 games in a season in the NHL as a starter would.

At the same time as acknowledging the above facts, I believe that we should accept the risks of going with a non-proven guy and go with Scheider next year for reasons I outlined before. He will be cheaper and has lots of upside. Those things, to me, make up for the risk of going with someone who is not a proven commodity.

Actually we do, we've seen it in the AHL, he was one of the best goaltenders in his time there.

He's done nothing but win for us in the regular season when called upon. Sometimes coming in cold not playing for 5-10 games.

They're not both going to be back next year, its either Luongo or CS. MG has done a good job re-signing players at a discount, but i dont think CS will sign anything less than 3m next year.

MG's legacy as a GM of this franchise will depend on what he do with the goaltenders.

How do you figure he "choked" especially against Boston? 8 goals in 7 games? that doesn't win you a series. Luongo is the ONLY reason that series even went to game 7.

Figure it out 8 goals in 7 games...thats 3 shutouts (he had 2) and one - 1 goal game in order to win that series. Your expectations are WAY! out to lunch. Don't give me the crap about him letting in 6-8 goals because a loss is a loss no matter how many you lose by, and if you're not scoring you're not winning. FACT!

How do you figure he "choked" especially against Boston? 8 goals in 7 games? that doesn't win you a series. Luongo is the ONLY reason that series even went to game 7.

Figure it out 8 goals in 7 games...thats 3 shutouts (he had 2) and one - 1 goal game in order to win that series. Your expectations are WAY! out to lunch. Don't give me the crap about him letting in 6-8 goals because a loss is a loss no matter how many you lose by, and if you're not scoring you're not winning. FACT!

I think a major lack of comprehension is in play.

Just because someone says "Schneider is unproven" doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a chance to prove himself, and that the gamble to see if he can wouldn't be worth it. But it IS a gamble (CBJ lost the gamble on Mason, Nashville won the gamble on Rinne, ya folllow?).

I'm not against taking the gamble on Schneider at all, i'm against those that say he's proven when he isn't yet. But if anybody deserves the chance, it's Schneider.

I don't think it's a matter of throwing Luongo under the bus. There's a few people who will do that regardless, but the majority of us are just discussing who is more likely to stay. Myself, I think Shchneider stays. as economically it makes more sense. He gives us just as good a chance to win (granted based on a smaller sample size) for less money, and is younger. For Luongo a move to, let's say Tampa Bay (for argument's sake), who are only a goaltender away from being a contender, could be a fresh start. It's in an area he likes, near his wife's family, and with him in goal they'd be contenders. Canucks won't get the same return as they would from Schneider, but the cap relief and off-loading a long contract has a great amount of value, economically to the Canucks organization. That's hardly throwing him under the bus. Remember it is a business after all.

Archived