The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "schneider Is Unproven Argument"

Tangelos

I think a major lack of comprehension is in play.

Just because someone says "Schneider is unproven" doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a chance to prove himself, and that the gamble to see if he can wouldn't be worth it. But it IS a gamble (CBJ lost the gamble on Mason, Nashville won the gamble on Rinne, ya folllow?).

I'm not against taking the gamble on Schneider at all, i'm against those that say he's proven when he isn't yet. But if anybody deserves the chance, it's Schneider.

Yea we don't know if Schneider can be a number 1, but that is the case with every up and coming goalie. Florida didn't know how Luongo would perform. Buffalo didn't know how Miller would perform. LA didn't know how Quick would perform. New York didn't know how Lundqvist would perform. The simple fact that we "don't know" or are "unsure" doesn't mean we shouldn't give Schneider the opportunity to be the guy. It seems to me like fear is the reason Luongo "lovers" want Luongo to stay because you know what you have in him (a good goalie who cracks under pressure). You fear change even though Schneider (just based on what we've seen) can be (and maybe already is) 10 times the goalie luongo is and ever will be.

How do you figure he "choked" especially against Boston? 8 goals in 7 games? that doesn't win you a series. Luongo is the ONLY reason that series even went to game 7.

Figure it out 8 goals in 7 games...thats 3 shutouts (he had 2) and one - 1 goal game in order to win that series. Your expectations are WAY! out to lunch. Don't give me the crap about him letting in 6-8 goals because a loss is a loss no matter how many you lose by, and if you're not scoring you're not winning. FACT!

The way to push Cory Schneider, is exactly the same way as how to push Luongo. Get a really really good backup and play him 25-30 games. Cory will get his 50 games next season to see how he does.

My suggestion is, Cory Schneider/Anders Lindback tandem.

I think lots of teams would want him... he is in the top 3 of virtually every statistical category since the lockout and he hasn't shown that he is declining as of yet.

He immediately gives you a chance to make the playoffs, and at a decent price tag.

I think an obvious no-brainer is Tampa, but there are dark horse ideas out there as well. Montreal is going to see massive changes, is currently buggered for cap space, and may not want to or be able to invest the $6+ million it will take to get Price under contract.

Adding a hometown boy who is francophone and represents their massive Italian population would be a big step in repairing their image in Quebec. Maybe Luongo wouldn't want to step into the spotlight again there, but maybe he would love a chance to play for the most storied franchise in the league which he also grew up rooting for.

Did nobody see how badley he was out of position on the tieing goal lastnight?

I'm not a Luongo fanboi nor am I a Schneider fanboi, I'm a fan of the team and want what's best for them, but to ignorantly say "Schneider is better" is just....well....ignorant.

He's 1-4 in NHL playoffs

He was caught badley out of position costing us games 3-5.

He has never played more than 30 games in a season.

The boy doesn't have the common sense to throw his mask off after being hit in the head.

I've seen too many times a rookie netminder come into the league trying to secure a #1 spot and play lights out and get that spot, only to disappear in following seasons (See Cam Ward for example)

Luongo has proven he can get to the playoffs season after season, what I don't understand is when the team scores 8 goals in 7 games it's Luongo's fault we lost.

Schneider on the other hand loses 2 games, is caught badley out of position costing us games, the team scores 7 goals in 5 games and now all of a sudden because Schneider is in net it's the offense that cost us the game?

I'll stick with the proven product, as much as I like Schneider he is unproven , and that's a fact.

Wow. Schneider cost us games 3-5? I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that Luongo's GAA and sv% in this years playoffs ranked 18th and 17th respectively against other playoff goalies. Think about that....theres only 16 teams. In comparison, Schneider's GAA was the best among the 32 goalies and his sv% was...wait for it....also the best among the 32 goalies. In short, Schneider was the best goalie of the playoffs up until last night. I'm sure you can come up with reasons why his fantastic stats are all inflated and mean nothing, just like Lu supporters have been doing for the last 2 seasons, but in reality, Schneider is head and shoulders above Luongo and he has proved it.

If we won the Presidents Cup with the 15th best goalie in the League(Luongo) then chances are we could win it with the 2nd best goalie (Schneider ) or any of a dozen or so goalies who play in the NHL.

But winning the P. Cup or making the playoffs is not the issue. Performing in the Playoffs is what we need to address, How we do that remains to be seen.

Yea, and Schneider has has such a large sample to take the stats from that I simply cannot disagree with you. He also cramped up and had to be carried out of a playoff game too..

Best goalie in the playoffs, but wasn't better than Quick....

Hello there folks, we've all heard it before, that Schneider is "unproven". Now I've spent a lot of time trying to understand this argument as it seems to be the only one the Luongo "lovers" can come up with for why Schneider shouldn't be the number 1 guy. I have concluded that this is in fact not an argument but BS that spews from those that fear change for whatever reason.

So here's what I've come up with:

According to you luongo "lovers", Schneider is as you put it, "unproven". Okay so basically what I understand is that in order to prove himself, he has to play a lot of games, but in order to play a lot of games, he has to prove himself. You see how I'm having a hard time understanding the whole "unproven" argument? It's a lose-lose situation for Schneider! He can't prove himself because we won't play him as our number 1! And we won't play him as our number 1 because he's unproven!! GO FIGURE!!!

This is some Inception crap am I right!!!

I can appreciate the fact that some of you love Luongo but I think the people who realize that this is a business and NOT a popularity contest will agree that he has (for lack of better words) "sh*t the bed" on numerous BIG occasions and that change is needed.

Debateable. His numbers were certainly better than Quick's. Add that to the fact that the Kings played very tight defense all series long for Quick and the Canucks were prone to turnovers and giving up odd man rushes for Schneids. Just because LA won doesn't mean Quick played better than Schneider. It just means the team in front of him was playing better. As for the crampup, I still remember what happened with Lu the 3 games before that, causing Schneider to play in the first place.

Archived