The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "schneider Is Unproven Argument"

Tangelos

Top 20 elite? Or top 10? Because I see Corey as being marginally better with more upside (younger, calmer attitude, consistent).

Luongo is definitely elite, but after some of his struggles people expect the best, and they don't get that. When they do (in Corey) on a relatively consistent basis, they tend to favor the more effective of the two, even if Luongo is still "ELITE". It's not missing out on reality, it's preferring a better option to the one that is chosen more often.

We can get frustrated at haters, or we can actually OBJECTIVELY look at who is more effective NOW, and who will be more effective for this club down the road, and understand the definitive pick to be #1 is Corey. It's not rocket science, it's common sense.

According to you luongo "lovers", Schneider is as you put it, "unproven". Okay so basically what I understand is that in order to prove himself, he has to play a lot of games, but in order to play a lot of games, he has to prove himself. You see how I'm having a hard time understanding the whole "unproven" argument?

Schneider is being held far above by many people here which is completely ridiculous. When you consider what the two have accomplished. Luongo taking us to the finals last year. And playing great this season and the first two playoff games. It wasn't because Lu was playing bad that Schneider played. It's much easier playing behind a top goalie like luongo and having the 'safety net'. Not that Schneider is a bad goalie, but when he can't fall back on Lu and he has that number 1 goalie pressure added, you simply don't know how Cory will perform. Vrs a goalie that we know how he performs in Lu.

I would be happy with either luongo or Schneider. But I think if Lu wants to stay and his NTC then Schneider has to go. And that we will get a great return for him. There is nothing wrong with keeping Lu on board. Since luongo joined Vancouver we have been nothing short of extremely fortunate to have him. Either goalie I is going to be fine. But saying Schneider is better right now as a backup with a safety net vrs a proven starter. That's just stupid.

As jilashta said, Schneider has not faced the media attention just yet. Vancouver is known as a goalie graveyard. Many goalies driven out of town because of the media scrutiny. Until Schneider can perform under that kind of fans and media attention, I still say Schneider is "unproven".

Also, you want a goalie who's rushed to the starting job? STEVE MASON. He just sucked after his rookie season.

The type of people who still want to keep Luongo are the type of people who're afraid of change and like to hold on to players beyond their usefulness/age. It's the same people that wanted to keep guys like Mitchell (really, instead of Hamhuis???), Morrison, Ohlund, Linden, etc, etc, etc. even though they were past their primes or had injury issues. They become attached to these player and think it's being 'unfair' getting rid of them....this is a business. And the teams that are too slow to adapt simply fail. Schneider is younger, cheaper, better than Luongo, the choice is clear who they should go with.

As jilashta said, Schneider has not faced the media attention just yet. Vancouver is known as a goalie graveyard. Many goalies driven out of town because of the media scrutiny. Until Schneider can perform under that kind of fans and media attention, I still say Schneider is "unproven".

Also, you want a goalie who's rushed to the starting job? STEVE MASON. He just sucked after his rookie season.

We can all argue and speculate, bottom line we have zero input on the decision and management is making it not cdc....From what I am hearing there will be dissappointed fans regardless.

My view is, Schnieder played great all 3 games, yet we still lost the series and only won 1 game...This clearly tells us as great as Schnieds was we have bigger problems than goaltending. If Schnieder can land us a star foward or defenceman, I say that makes more sense because we are improving in other areas and we got another good young goalie comming up.

We can keep Schnieds and trade Lu, but this team has proved as good as Schnieds was, we still didn't win...If we keep Schnieder and trade Lu with not much of a return, we will look like the same team that just lost the series. If that's the case, we aren't improving much.

Luongo stands on his head in game 1, does everything a goalie can really do to keep his team in the game and give them a chance. Countless huge saves to change momentum. No real support. = Put in Schneider!

Schneider stands on his head and does everything a goalie can really do to keep his team in the game and give them a chance. Countless huge saves to change momentum. No real support. = Luongo no more! Schneider is clearly better!

It's mind boggling just how hypacritical and bizarre the fan base is. But I get it, people just scapegoat Luongo because it's easier to blame him than the rest of the team. When it all comes down to it, is Luongo is a great goalie, and he was honestly robbed of the Hart and Vezina in the 06-07 season when he first came here. Schneider is a great young talent too. I wish we could keep both of them, but I'm happy with whoever stays if one gets traded. I just hope the return is worth it, because if we trade one of these guys and don't imporve, we'll be in a worse spot.

And, for people who say Schneider is proven now? He's 1-3 in playoff games, and he's .500 against playoff teams in the regular season. This year, he only played 6, and he was .500 against them. He got blown out by Chicago, chased within 5-6 shots against Nashville, and had a better gam against... Detroit? Or NYR, one of the two. Then he had 3 wins, Boston, Chicago, and whoever. So, tat's 50% with most of the losses being ugly games.

Last year? He played more top teams than he did this year, and he still had a .500 record.

It's not to say he's bad, but I think people need to understand that there's an honest chance that the way he's playing now as a 'backup' might be giving him better numbers than we'll ever see out of him when he becomes a full starter and is forced to play against a lot more top teams than he has. No matter how you slice it, his record against top 8 conference teams blows, and a lot of the losses are bad. He's getting his numbers playing a lot of mediocre competition.

BIG wins on the road in BOS, CHI and SJ tells me he is PROVEN. Next year he will show that to the rest of the league and hopefully it will be here. He will win a Cup somewhere. I don't think any goalie would have been able to stop that pin point laser Stoll fired last night. It was just like a Ray Whitney wrister. Impossible to stop.

IF we can move Luongo to Tampa, let it be done. Schneider is younger and we can get him on a contract that makes sense, not some 12 year moronic deal that will cripple the organization.

They are both very capable goalies, but we cannot keep both unless one of them starts scoring.

No team is taking lou and his contract without unloading something undesirable back your way.

The team seems to play better in front of Schneider and he didn't cramp up this time around so I give him that.... but he isn't near the level of a Quick...

The Nucks have a real problem in goal this summer...as no team will want Lou who is slipping and has a silly contract. The Nucks will have to keep Schneider but will also then have to match any reasonable offer for him.. Any offer under 3.1 only demands a 2nd rounder as compensation which isn't much to give up for Schneider...

Oh.... I said the Kings would win before it started..no surprises from my point of view.

Archived