The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "schneider Is Unproven Argument"

Tangelos

I think that if you're part of the group that is segregating this team into team schneider/team luongo, and are ready to throw your franchise goalie under the bus you're a typical spoiled rotten Vancouver fan that doesn't give respect when respect is due. You most likely started following hockey last season, and wern't around when everyone was screaming for a good franchise goalie... I assume you also boo'd Lu when he got pulled, and go beyond all logic and reason with your trade proposals.

Give your head a shake.

I think that if you're part of the group that is segregating this team into team schneider/team luongo, and are ready to throw your franchise goalie under the bus you're a typical spoiled rotten Vancouver fan that doesn't give respect when respect is due. You most likely started following hockey last season, and wern't around when everyone was screaming for a good franchise goalie... I assume you also boo'd Lu when he got pulled, and go beyond all logic and reason with your trade proposals.

Give your head a shake.

Guest Dasein

Hello there folks, we've all heard it before, that Schneider is "unproven". Now I've spent a lot of time trying to understand this argument as it seems to be the only one the Luongo "lovers" can come up with for why Schneider shouldn't be the number 1 guy. I have concluded that this is in fact not an argument but BS that spews from those that fear change for whatever reason.

So here's what I've come up with:

According to you luongo "lovers", Schneider is as you put it, "unproven". Okay so basically what I understand is that in order to prove himself, he has to play a lot of games, but in order to play a lot of games, he has to prove himself. You see how I'm having a hard time understanding the whole "unproven" argument? It's a lose-lose situation for Schneider! He can't prove himself because we won't play him as our number 1! And we won't play him as our number 1 because he's unproven!! GO FIGURE!!!

This is some Inception crap am I right!!!

I can appreciate the fact that some of you love Luongo but I think the people who realize that this is a business and NOT a popularity contest will agree that he has (for lack of better words) "sh*t the bed" on numerous BIG occasions and that change is needed.

As jilashta said, Schneider has not faced the media attention just yet. Vancouver is known as a goalie graveyard. Many goalies driven out of town because of the media scrutiny. Until Schneider can perform under that kind of fans and media attention, I still say Schneider is "unproven".

Also, you want a goalie who's rushed to the starting job? STEVE MASON. He just sucked after his rookie season.

IMO this season was Schneiders proving grounds. Now I'm hoping it wasn't set up like that so they could trade him but sadly it may come to that. He certainly started to show his skills last season but that's one season. (25 games iirc) He played a good chunk of games this season, has shown that his play warrants trust from his team mates and has shown that he can be brought into the second biggest stage in the NHL and perform fantastic. I'd love to see him back next year and if a goalie has to be traded for cap reason I'd still want to see him back next season. The best part of that though is no matter what happens next season we have great goaltending.

We've always known Schneider was a very good goalie with great potential. I think when a lot of people are saying they need for him to prove himself more it means that they need for the reality and the potential to start getting a little closer to each other. The problem is that as fans several people have created this thing where you're either a lover or a hater. "Oh if you don't believe exactly what I believe you're a Lou lover or a Schneider sucker." It's all bull$^&% really and it posts like what is in the OP that prove that. Unintelligible garbage is all that really is. It's fine to support one goalie without trashing the other one. We don't all have to be so god damn insecure about it. Myself, I wasn't totally sold on Schneider at the start of this season. Does that mean I didn't like him as much as others did? Did that mean I must luv luongo? No it means I wanted to see more from him as a fan. I wanted to see that he could prove himself more; I wanted to see him get more time and be thrown into tougher situation...which is exactly what we all got to see this season.

So I say this to you all. Lovers....Suckers....(or the mouth breathers that perpetually feel so insecure that they need to find some stupid name for people who in the slightest amount disagree with them) put down your sticks, get up off the ground and cheer for the god damn Canucks.

Let's just see how it unfolds.

I've seen this play out before - backup plays well and majority of fans all fall in love. In their minds, it's as done as dinner that the starter is traded and the backup goaltender becomes the starter.

Then Halak got traded. Not Price.

There are some things that Luongo has over Schneider, and some things that Schneider has over Luongo. When all is said and done, I think Luongo will be our #1 next year, and we will have a heck of a piece in return for Schneider.

Im pretty sure Gillis is going to go with Schneider, AV has to have got permission from Gillis to start Schneider. Gillis wouldn't let AV jeopardize Luongo's contract situation in Vancouver. He knows the drama it would cause unless something was said behind doors that we don't know of.

From the guy that guaranteed Lu would start game 4 no matter what happened prior to game 3 , and said that anyone who thought Cory had a chance of starting game 4 knew nothing about hockey and was glad we weren't Canuck management.

Well Canucks Lost game 3 and they played Cory in games 4 and 5, so I guess you think Canuck management sucks because is pretty evident they will do whatever they can and keep Cory, and Lu will be bye bye next year.

Im pretty sure Gillis is going to go with Schneider, AV has to have got permission from Gillis to start Schneider. Gillis wouldn't let AV jeopardize Luongo's contract situation in Vancouver. He knows the drama it would cause unless something was said behind doors that we don't know of.

There are now a greater number of very good goaltenders playing than there were even 6 or so years ago. Its a very technical position with a lot more science involved. All you have to do is look at minor hockey and see the amazing ability of the up and comers. They all go to Goalie schools, practise what they are taught and are technically great. Goalies are getting bigger, more athletic and take up more space in net. Its a numbers game, they play angles, percentages and are more proactive than in the past. Its getting harder and harder to score. THe bigger the players get, the less room on the ice...For the game to improve, they need to go to a bigger ice surface...like Europe...wider ice...more room behind the net...more room to make plays and utilize speed...

Archived