The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "schneider Is Unproven Argument"

Tangelos

Sure.... we will see if Tampa needs a 33 year old with a long contract who is on the downslide..... It makes no sense for them going forward... Don't look at it primarly from what the Nucks need to do going forward as nobody is going to do you any favors. Lou is your boat anchor, and trading him without taking back a bad contract in return is highly unlikely.

As the recipient of a young hot goalie fresh off a good playoff showing (Halak) I wonder if the organ-I-zation was showcasing him to bring max value in the offseason.

If the 'Nucks really decide Schneider's the man, Luongo's contract isn't going to net much in return.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what gets done.

As the recipient of a young hot goalie fresh off a good playoff showing (Halak) I wonder if the organ-I-zation was showcasing him to bring max value in the offseason.

If the 'Nucks really decide Schneider's the man, Luongo's contract isn't going to net much in return.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what gets done.

Hello there folks, we've all heard it before, that Schneider is "unproven". Now I've spent a lot of time trying to understand this argument as it seems to be the only one the Luongo "lovers" can come up with for why Schneider shouldn't be the number 1 guy. I have concluded that this is in fact not an argument but BS that spews from those that fear change for whatever reason.

So here's what I've come up with:

According to you luongo "lovers", Schneider is as you put it, "unproven". Okay so basically what I understand is that in order to prove himself, he has to play a lot of games, but in order to play a lot of games, he has to prove himself. You see how I'm having a hard time understanding the whole "unproven" argument? It's a lose-lose situation for Schneider! He can't prove himself because we won't play him as our number 1! And we won't play him as our number 1 because he's unproven!! GO FIGURE!!!

This is some Inception crap am I right!!!

I can appreciate the fact that some of you love Luongo but I think the people who realize that this is a business and NOT a popularity contest will agree that he has (for lack of better words) "sh*t the bed" on numerous BIG occasions and that change is needed.

Your argument is just ridiculous... people are saying that there is no guarantee that Schneider is going to be an elite goaltender because he is not proven (eg. he has not done it yet). That is a fact, he has never been a #1 goalie in the NHL.

What it simply means is that you take risk if you are going to move forward with him... he could totally suck. It happens VERY regularly to highly touted young goaltenders in this league, they have a good year or two and then are never heard from again.

That isn't even arguing that we should or shouldn't keep him... it is objective fact, not a matter of opinion. You invent a ridiculous argument that no one has made (that it is somehow against the laws of physics for Schneider to "prove" himself) in order to try to make your point.

I personally believe that we should move Luongo, but mainly that is because of the value for dollar in a cap world. Luongo is still the less risky and more proven goalie, but there is a pretty reasonable likelihood that Schneider will be as good for the next couple years. With Luongo you know that you will get a top 10 goalie in the league, and most likely a top 5. With Schneider you could get a top 3 or something that turns into a mess very quickly... no one, including people who know a lot more about hockey than you can be sure what it is going to be at this point.

Schneider is also likely going to be quit a bit cheaper (1st year starters don't get $5+ million per season... sorry to break it to folks who are suggesting it). So purely on value and considering the risk factors, he could be an upgrade in the near term.

Schneider is being held far above by many people here which is completely ridiculous. When you consider what the two have accomplished. Luongo taking us to the finals last year. And playing great this season and the first two playoff games. It wasn't because Lu was playing bad that Schneider played. It's much easier playing behind a top goalie like luongo and having the 'safety net'. Not that Schneider is a bad goalie, but when he can't fall back on Lu and he has that number 1 goalie pressure added, you simply don't know how Cory will perform. Vrs a goalie that we know how he performs in Lu.

I would be happy with either luongo or Schneider. But I think if Lu wants to stay and his NTC then Schneider has to go. And that we will get a great return for him. There is nothing wrong with keeping Lu on board. Since luongo joined Vancouver we have been nothing short of extremely fortunate to have him. Either goalie I is going to be fine. But saying Schneider is better right now as a backup with a safety net vrs a proven starter. That's just stupid.

Hello there folks, we've all heard it before, that Schneider is "unproven". Now I've spent a lot of time trying to understand this argument as it seems to be the only one the Luongo "lovers" can come up with for why Schneider shouldn't be the number 1 guy. I have concluded that this is in fact not an argument but BS that spews from those that fear change for whatever reason.

So here's what I've come up with:

According to you luongo "lovers", Schneider is as you put it, "unproven". Okay so basically what I understand is that in order to prove himself, he has to play a lot of games, but in order to play a lot of games, he has to prove himself. You see how I'm having a hard time understanding the whole "unproven" argument? It's a lose-lose situation for Schneider! He can't prove himself because we won't play him as our number 1! And we won't play him as our number 1 because he's unproven!! GO FIGURE!!!

This is some Inception crap am I right!!!

I can appreciate the fact that some of you love Luongo but I think the people who realize that this is a business and NOT a popularity contest will agree that he has (for lack of better words) "sh*t the bed" on numerous BIG occasions and that change is needed.

Not ever goalie could beat out the fatigue factor.... Playing 60 or 70+ games at the NHL level isn't an easy thing to do. Yes, from what he has done in the playoffs and his regular season performance, i believe he's ready to be given a shot at the starting position. Now, comes in the fact that, can he be ready for games night in night out and will he be able to carry the team for 70+ games? Only time will tell.... Not saying Luongo is better than Schneider or anything. But the fact is that we know luongo can play a full season anytime and he has proven it as well.

Playing 25 - 30 games isn't the biggest difficulty, standing up tall and being able to play the full season will be the real test...

Although, i agree with what OP has said that he has proven himself to atleast be given a chance.

So, we'll see when time comes

That no one has made? You clearly haven't been reading the forums. While there aren't as many (as Schneider has won the hearts of most canuck faithfuls) as a year ago, there are still those that continuously say that Schneider hasn't proven anything. He is a stud in every game he's played yet people keep spewing this nonsense! These people base their "argument" on the fact that Schneider hasn't played many games. While this may be true, doesn't every goalie in the league go through this phase where they are accused of being unproven for lack of experience? Luongo, Miller, Quick all had to prove themselves as the number 1 by playing a lot of games. My problem is that the luongo "lovers" refuse to give Schneider that chance.

First of all, Im not a Lu lover. But a couple of games does not make Schnides proven. The 82 game season and especially the play-offs is a long grind with all kinds of pressure and stresses that can reak havoc on a goalies confedence. this is the only test that Schnides has yet to prove. I agree he needs a shot at a number one job, hopefully it is here. The team certainly seems to play better with him in net.

Did nobody see how badley he was out of position on the tieing goal lastnight?

I'm not a Luongo fanboi nor am I a Schneider fanboi, I'm a fan of the team and want what's best for them, but to ignorantly say "Schneider is better" is just....well....ignorant.

He's 1-4 in NHL playoffs

He was caught badley out of position costing us games 3-5.

He has never played more than 30 games in a season.

The boy doesn't have the common sense to throw his mask off after being hit in the head.

I've seen too many times a rookie netminder come into the league trying to secure a #1 spot and play lights out and get that spot, only to disappear in following seasons (See Cam Ward for example)

Luongo has proven he can get to the playoffs season after season, what I don't understand is when the team scores 8 goals in 7 games it's Luongo's fault we lost.

Schneider on the other hand loses 2 games, is caught badley out of position costing us games, the team scores 7 goals in 5 games and now all of a sudden because Schneider is in net it's the offense that cost us the game?

I'll stick with the proven product, as much as I like Schneider he is unproven , and that's a fact.

Archived