Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gradin123

Gillis Passing The Buck On Hodgson Trade Through His Media Shill

Stop with this garbage. Sh!tty trade will always be a shi!tty one. Trading Schneider for a bag of pucks wouldn't have made difference either.

This season (post-season) was a failure by the organization as a whole. No one person is to blame. The Canucks are one of the best coached teams in the league. Back to back President's trophies proves that. At the end of the day we only lost 22 games in an 82 game season, winning much tighter games than we did last year when we only lost 19 in regulation.

Gillis came up short on a few things this year. Booth was a solid acquisition in theory, so was Pahlsson and Gragnani. The only trade he really dropped the ball on was Hodgeson-Kassian trade.

Some really tough decisions will need to be made in the offseason to solidify our roster.

Say what you want about AV but he has consistently coached this team to the top of the league since he's been here. Look at the results this post-season in terms of the other teams who have lost in the first round: Detroit, San Jose, Pittsburgh. New York is facing elimination by an 8th seed, Boston is beings forced into a game 7 by a 7th seed, and Chicago is facing elimination by Phoenix who should in all rights be the 7th seed. Our playoff seeding really is a broken system and does not dictate much else besides home-ice.

Right now the teams coming out on top (with the exception of Philly) are tough, hardworking defensive-teams playing a trap system and are taking out the league's giants. I've said this before but this is the kind of hockey that wins in the playoffs. I was hoping that the Canucks would learn this lesson from last year's playoff heartbreak but we lost sight of what we needed to do to win in the end.

I look forward to next season and hope that Gillis is able to make some necessary adjustments for the better without drastically altering the makeup of the team. We have a really good group, there are just a few holes we need filled but aside from that we are still one of the deepest and most-skilled teams in the league.

Big changes aren't necessary, and Gillis is smart enough to not make them.

Biggest mistake they can make is to blow up a team that's as good as this one. All it needs is some upgrades in certain areas and they'll be ready to take a longer run next season.

A long offseason should benefit this team alot. Clearly they didn't have it in them this season after last years crushing defeat.

AV is just plain BAD for player development. If we drafted a top 2 pick, he probably wouldn't put him in the lineup just because he's young. AV loves to bury young players in the AHL and most don't see the light of day. This has to change. There has to be more of a mix of youth and veterans on this team. Right now, there are too many veterans taking up roster spots. Complacency is rampant on this team. We need some high end, talented youth in there to stir the pot...hungry youth that will push the veterans.

AV is just plain BAD for player development. If we drafted a top 2 pick, he probably wouldn't put him in the lineup just because he's young. AV loves to bury young players in the AHL and most don't see the light of day. This has to change. There has to be more of a mix of youth and veterans on this team. Right now, there are too many veterans taking up roster spots. Complacency is rampant on this team. We need some high end, talented youth in there to stir the pot...hungry youth that will push the veterans.

Getting a guy who scores 2 goals per season, and counting on him to come out on the plus side of things overall, makes about as much sense as going into a turtle for 40 minutes trying to defend a one goal lead.

I think we need to calm down.

Firstly MG will NOT get rid of AV, not this year at least. That is not his style, he is a guy with a moral ethic and he knows it is easy to have a pat season after the kind of season we had last year. Even then we came through and won the PT.

We had players recovering from injury and we had players who we thought might have made a difference getting injured before we got going. The fact is however we were unable to acquire the type of player that would have made a real difference in the top 6 and in the defence.

I for one was really annoyed at the Booth trade and am on record at the time. I took the time to go back using GC Live and look at his style and performance in Florida. I thought then, that his style wouldn't change with us and it hasn't. His one handed play gives him little or no options. He is not a bust yet, but he needs to change style and play a team game, that is the only way he will be effective.

We thought we had depth but in the SC physical impact and ability to snipe goals trumps depth. Too many of our players lost form and too many were too similar. Even a player who has lost his scoring touch can make an impact if he is big enough.

Regards Hodgson, I agree with DN above. He wasn't going to alter the course of these games. In fact I suspect he would have been ground out of them due to his lack of speed and physicality. What we needed was a Perry or a Getzlaf, we got Kassian.

I still think we need to give AV and his coaches another season but even they will know this market has limited patience. MG in my opinion let AV down in that he, over the season, failed to get the big gritty sniper or the imposing D AV really needed. The two pieces in fact most of us KNEW we needed. He must get them now because bargain basement, and rehab acquisitions only get you so far in the long run

LA invested in Richards and Carter. Two players who were instrumental in putting us out. Gillis must make a similar move if we are to impose ourselves on our opponents.

I forgot wonder boy Hodgson, who had 1 point in the playoffs, would have solved all of our problems. Hodgson did not have the speed or grit to be able to outmuscle the Kings D. If guys like Burrows, Kesler, and Higgins couldn't do it, Hodgson wouldn't either.

Our problems ran deeper than having a third line center. If we're struggling for 2/3 of a game to get the puck out of our zone, we're probably not going to win.

I hate to say it, but I'm glad we weren't able to squeak past the Kings. Clearly there's deeper problems on this team that need to be adressed. This team was too good to struggle against a team like the Kings. If they couldn't beat them, they definitely weren't gonna beat the Preds or Blues, who have better goaltending and more offence.

<p>

Gillis always said he wanted to model this franchise after Detroit...well, maybe they can make a golf date together? Both are weak, perimeter teams easily trounced out of the playoffs by those more hardworking.

Gillis and his ego needs to be blamed for managing to make last years team significantly weaker.

And:

torres, mitchell, hodgson, erhoff, grabner, samuelsson > ballard, booth, kassian, grags

now canucks are stuck with ballard and booth's high cap hit...get rid of them and clear cap space and go big on free agency!

and try and get a # 2- 5 pick in the draft...change up the core a bit.

I think the provie needs to get rid of most of their Canucks writers. Botch whines all the time, Gallagher sounds like an old man who is always complaining about something with his conspiracy theories and the rest of them just suck. The only good ones are the bloggers.

I live in Texas and I could do a better job than these hot and cold so-called journalists. It is a joke. I may have to start reading the Sun.

I think the provie needs to get rid of most of their Canucks writers. Botch whines all the time, Gallagher sounds like an old man who is always complaining about something with his conspiracy theories and the rest of them just suck. The only good ones are the bloggers.

I live in Texas and I could do a better job than these hot and cold so-called journalists. It is a joke. I may have to start reading the Sun.

WOW thanks MG. You trade a real star in the NHL for 2 scratches. THANKS!!! Oh ya Thanks again for another presidents trophy. I just love these piling up. If your goal is to have a great regular season team , full points to you!

Perhaps he would have offered more than the those who he was traded for ?

Someone here made the point that Gillis could have made the trade during the summer... Maybe yes and maybe no, but how did Gillis think that trade would help his squad this year ?

Gillis should go before AV in my opinion. The guy is a whiner and has failed so why keep him around ?

Ditch Gillis and AV, let the new coach and GM build a new team from our core. The owner is a Canucks fan, he wants to see them win a cup.

CoHo didn't find his NHL game until this season, his performance in last years playoffs, prior to him finding his NHL game, is irrelevant. And using that as a determining factor in what he would have done this year is a waste of time.