The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis Passing The Buck On Hodgson Trade Through His Media Shill

gradin123

I forgot wonder boy Hodgson, who had 1 point in the playoffs, would have solved all of our problems. Hodgson did not have the speed or grit to be able to outmuscle the Kings D. If guys like Burrows, Kesler, and Higgins couldn't do it, Hodgson wouldn't either.

Our problems ran deeper than having a third line center. If we're struggling for 2/3 of a game to get the puck out of our zone, we're probably not going to win.

I hate to say it, but I'm glad we weren't able to squeak past the Kings. Clearly there's deeper problems on this team that need to be adressed. This team was too good to struggle against a team like the Kings. If they couldn't beat them, they definitely weren't gonna beat the Preds or Blues, who have better goaltending and more offence.

I think we need to calm down.

Firstly MG will NOT get rid of AV, not this year at least. That is not his style, he is a guy with a moral ethic and he knows it is easy to have a pat season after the kind of season we had last year. Even then we came through and won the PT.

We had players recovering from injury and we had players who we thought might have made a difference getting injured before we got going. The fact is however we were unable to acquire the type of player that would have made a real difference in the top 6 and in the defence.

I for one was really annoyed at the Booth trade and am on record at the time. I took the time to go back using GC Live and look at his style and performance in Florida. I thought then, that his style wouldn't change with us and it hasn't. His one handed play gives him little or no options. He is not a bust yet, but he needs to change style and play a team game, that is the only way he will be effective.

We thought we had depth but in the SC physical impact and ability to snipe goals trumps depth. Too many of our players lost form and too many were too similar. Even a player who has lost his scoring touch can make an impact if he is big enough.

Regards Hodgson, I agree with DN above. He wasn't going to alter the course of these games. In fact I suspect he would have been ground out of them due to his lack of speed and physicality. What we needed was a Perry or a Getzlaf, we got Kassian.

I still think we need to give AV and his coaches another season but even they will know this market has limited patience. MG in my opinion let AV down in that he, over the season, failed to get the big gritty sniper or the imposing D AV really needed. The two pieces in fact most of us KNEW we needed. He must get them now because bargain basement, and rehab acquisitions only get you so far in the long run

LA invested in Richards and Carter. Two players who were instrumental in putting us out. Gillis must make a similar move if we are to impose ourselves on our opponents.

You can't put this on Gillis.

Was he the one playing out there? No.

How many of our payers actually showed up for any of the games?

Burrows - 1 goal, Kesler - 0 goals, Booth - 0 goals, Raymond - 0 goals, Higgins -0 goals, Hansen - 1 goal, Pahlsson - 1 goal.

We had no offence other than a couple of players. And our D couldn't even get the puck out of our zone.

Hodgson would not have made the any difference in this series.

Big changes worked for Philly. They made the finals in 2010 and blew up their core soon after. Now look at them. Hungrier, faster, younger, bigger, tougher, etc.

minor tinkering won't work with this team. They're going to have to make some significant moves in order to get to the next level.

Its all media hype.i mean thats Tony's job is to state what he sees and that is not always the way it is.MG said he would trade any unhappy player and he got what he thought was the best deal.the players we got back are still young so dont go thinking they wont be good.AV well what can you say he did his best with what he had, the Canucks did for 70% of the series play as good and better then LA but we lost.So dont go blamming the coaches or goalies, its a team game and LA just had better luck.I think the team will take a hard look at players and decide which goalie to trade the best deal right now would be with edmonton for two first round picks including this years and whatever else we could get for schnieder, even though I think luo should be the one dealt to an eastern team for a 40 goal scorer and ehatever else we can get.The second line needs a pure goal scorer for us to reach the next level and one good stay at home D man who can hand out punishment.

You can't put this on Gillis.

Was he the one playing out there? No.

How many of our payers actually showed up for any of the games?

Burrows - 1 goal, Kesler - 0 goals, Booth - 0 goals, Raymond - 0 goals, Higgins -0 goals, Hansen - 1 goal, Pahlsson - 1 goal.

We had no offence other than a couple of players. And our D couldn't even get the puck out of our zone.

Hodgson would not have made the any difference in this series.

St. Louis, Nashville, LA, Phoenix all Defense first systems. Even Washington has Boston on the ropes with their defensive system. AV knew that was how you win playoff games. So he asked for more defensive tools.

Gillis brought in Booth to play with Kesler. Obviously this didn't work. It wasn't working in the regular season and Gillis did not address it at the trade deadline.

Hodgson for Kassian was just a stupid trade. Maybe it'll even out eventually, but it's clear Cory would've had a much greater impact on this series than Kassian did (not saying we would have won).

Pahlsson? lol

That being said, it's not entirely MG's fault. The players didn't play well, the coaching staff....i don't even know where to begin but there were a lot of wtf decisions. Oh well, let's see what happens in the off season.

Here's a fresh take on an old idea: Why don't we blame Burke/Nonis for this?

Gillis critics are quite fond of saying he didn't bring in the core of this team, so when they don't perform, why should he get the blame? Look at the players we didn't see enough of in this series that we expected to: Edler, Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa. Even both our goalies were brought in prior to Gillis. AV was here before Gillis.

Oh, so you say Gillis re-signed them all when he could have traded them away, and the guys he brought in didn't perform either. Well, just goes to show you even teams with good players all through the lineup don't always get the job done.

Sometimes it isn't about one person, or even a handful of people, when trying to lay blame. Perhaps we shouldn't lay blame at all and challenge the people we do have to be better. We may still make changes, whether big or small, and we may keep things mostly the same, but all that happened this year was we didn't perform up to our capabilities and had to overcome a big hole we dug. We couldn't do it, and now we get to prepare for next season.

You know who is the real reason to blame for the Hodgson trade? It's AV, if Hodgson, his agent, or parents requested more ice time or a trade then Gillis had no choice. AV didn't play our young star who was doing better than raymond ever will. Why slot Raymond on the second line when he could have gave Cody more ice time on the 2nd line? Hodgson was one of the top rookies in his FIRST full year in the NHL, and he is outdoing Raymond. Not to mention he is pretty clutch against top teams. Instead of looking for a 2nd line player for Kesler, we could have used Hodgson instead of Raymond, Lappy, or even Booth. I know he is another center but he is still young, and was doing great, we had time to swap him and Kesler around as centers to see who would do better. If AV gave Hodgson more icetime over Raymond, he would have stayed (unless he didn't request a trade).

Archived