The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis Passing The Buck On Hodgson Trade Through His Media Shill

gradin123

I don't blame Gillis for the wrong trade because he tried to get what AV wanted/needed based on their communication. But somehow it really bothers me is AV doesn't utilize Gillis' picks sometimes ( like Ballard last year?). That's an evidence of bad communication between team and management. One has to go and I pick AV.

I think if AV gave more emotion instead of chewing his gum, the players would give more emotion on the ice as well. Do you want to play for a coach who doesn't seem to care? Hell, he doesn't even talk to the players during time outs. Neither does he talk or give a pat to a player who does something well.

I think if AV gave more emotion instead of chewing his gum, the players would give more emotion on the ice as well. Do you want to play for a coach who doesn't seem to care? Hell, he doesn't even talk to the players during time outs. Neither does he talk or give a pat to a player who does something well.

Its all media hype.i mean thats Tony's job is to state what he sees and that is not always the way it is.MG said he would trade any unhappy player and he got what he thought was the best deal.the players we got back are still young so dont go thinking they wont be good.AV well what can you say he did his best with what he had, the Canucks did for 70% of the series play as good and better then LA but we lost.So dont go blamming the coaches or goalies, its a team game and LA just had better luck.I think the team will take a hard look at players and decide which goalie to trade the best deal right now would be with edmonton for two first round picks including this years and whatever else we could get for schnieder, even though I think luo should be the one dealt to an eastern team for a 40 goal scorer and ehatever else we can get.The second line needs a pure goal scorer for us to reach the next level and one good stay at home D man who can hand out punishment.

The Kings weren't an a typical 8th seed. They are a team that almost everyone thought would be a top seed this year.

Just because we won a few more games in the regular season while they had some struggles doesn't make this a big upset Imo.

L.A was just not a good match-up for us.

Yep, the guy is sometimes just not there. He said as much himself in an interview when he stated he likes to give ownership of the team to the team itself. That's great in a way, but for God's sake, AV needs to be way more involved than he is. It's depressing watching this team struggle on the ice without much leadership and that includes leadership from the bench.

It's really what explains the Canucks' habit of folding when things aren't going their way. It explains how when they lose, they lose in embarrassing fashion. The loss to the Kings was luckily pretty close and not really embarrassing but the fact they lost to the Kings in the 1st round itself is a little embarrassing. Add to that their performance in the franchise's most important game of their existance: Game 7 against Boston in the SCF last year. They had home ice advantage and they had a chance to win it all! What happened? They lost 4-0. I don't care if there are injuries or whatever, you can't lose like they did in Game 7 of the SCF.

Then in this series, it may not have been filled with embarrassing blowouts but really, it was the same thing. Most of the team just checked out. Honestly, who can you say had a decent, nevermind great, series? Schneider was awesome and the Sedins were not only good but I think they took a step forward in ways. That's about it.

Big problems here. To remedy it starts with hiring a new face behind the bench.

The Kings weren't an a typical 8th seed. They are a team that almost everyone thought would be a top seed this year.

Just because we won a few more games in the regular season while they had some struggles doesn't make this a big upset Imo.

L.A was just not a good match-up for us.

Chill on gillis rage. I was angry too but we aren't getting rid of gillis that easy. Mike will learn from the Hodgson trade and I'm sure there are a few more great deals to be had. For me I will be patient and see how the team looks next season. Now that we have Kassian we have to stick with him. In fact I would go as far to say a partial build around Kassian and have a big set of forwards. This terrible trade can still work for us if MG is smart.

CoHo has some of the quickest hands I've ever seen. He sees the ice very well, makes very quick decisions and then follows those decisions with very accurate passes and shots. He doesn't get the job done by overpowering anyone or by grinding it out, but what he does do he does extremely well, and that is, pick his spots. He waits, he pounces on opportunities, and he makes them count, and this type of play absolutely can work very well in playoff hockey.

Just read Tony Gallagher's follwing article in the Province this morning,

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1sqsjgdft

In it is says this,

"And practically speaking, exchanging Samme Pahlsson for Cody Hodgson in a lineup already having trouble scoring? That was something Mike Gillis got talked into by his staff but the buck stops with him."

Really Tony? And how would you know that? In reality, this is Gillis realizing now that the Hodgson trade sucked and blaming his scouts and getting Tony to write about it in the paper.

Remember Tony was also the one who leaked the info about Hodsgon demanding more icetime.

Gallagher obviously is a complete shill for Mike Gillis.

You can't put this on Gillis.

Was he the one playing out there? No.

How many of our payers actually showed up for any of the games?

Burrows - 1 goal, Kesler - 0 goals, Booth - 0 goals, Raymond - 0 goals, Higgins -0 goals, Hansen - 1 goal, Pahlsson - 1 goal.

We had no offence other than a couple of players. And our D couldn't even get the puck out of our zone.

Hodgson would not have made the any difference in this series.

^^See bold.

Kesler had one season where he was an offensive success with most of that coming off tip ins and rebounds while on teh PP with teh Sedins. The mistake so many make is thinking Kesler is a true top 6 "scorer" if only he had the right winger etc. He seldom uses his linemates effectively, lacks the moves to beat anyone 1on 1 and ends up taking wrist shots that either get blocked or are from fdar enought out they miss or are stopped. Even playing on teh PP with the Sedins this year he was ineffective.

He does not have the instincts or talent to be true scoreer and despite having played with virtually the entire Nucks team this last year, never produced at a decent rate. He is a terrific defensive centerman with some offensive upside. The ultimate 3rd line shut down guy.

Move him to the 3rd line and get a real offensive 2nd line scorer. COntinuing to add players to Kes's line to make him an offensive threat is mis-casting him

Yes, I agree Kassian could be developed, I've seen him strong on the puck and boards a few times. But instead of slotting him in 4th line, we need to put him on the 1st or 2nd and give him more ice time. We traded for Kassian for more size and grit right? Even though I didn't support it since it wasn't the style of this team (Boston posers), I feel young players can be developed more with more minutes and experience in the NHL.

Boston is tough because their star players are tough, they model around their star players. We need to model the Canucks as skilled players like our stars, high scoring offensively skilled players. I feel that played a role on why the Canucks lost, trying to be tough and losing their identity (leading to the massive penalties in the first 2 games). We will never be big tough gritty as long as we have the Sedins, when they are on the ice they have to stick up for themselves, not some 4th liners who we sign and do nothing for this team but take dumb penalties.

Our regular season is good enough, I say we should sacrifice our 4th line for our rookie players and develop them in the NHL level like Philly, Oilers, etc. Experience in the NHL is better than the AHL to me. If they are a bust, they are a bust. Having Schroeder, Jensen, Kassian line or something and developing them wouldn't cost the Canucks much in the regular season. Like someone else said in this thread, the young skilled players may motivate the veterans to play better. Having a mix might not be such a bad idea.

That is just my opinion, sorry for the long read.

Your analysis of the situation is right on. Playoffs aren't about being cute. They're about running through people to win the small battles. Cody Hodgson is built for regular season success, not playoff success. Sadly much of our team falls under this category.

Big changes aren't necessary, and Gillis is smart enough to not make them.

Biggest mistake they can make is to blow up a team that's as good as this one. All it needs is some upgrades in certain areas and they'll be ready to take a longer run next season.

A long offseason should benefit this team alot. Clearly they didn't have it in them this season after last years crushing defeat.

Archived