The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis Passing The Buck On Hodgson Trade Through His Media Shill

gradin123

There is an old adage in hockey. GMs are responsible for offence. Coaches are responsible for defence. The Canucks lost this series because the offence was not good enough. So this one is the fault of Gillis.

I forgot wonder boy Hodgson, who had 1 point in the playoffs, would have solved all of our problems. Hodgson did not have the speed or grit to be able to outmuscle the Kings D. If guys like Burrows, Kesler, and Higgins couldn't do it, Hodgson wouldn't either.

Our problems ran deeper than having a third line center. If we're struggling for 2/3 of a game to get the puck out of our zone, we're probably not going to win.

I hate to say it, but I'm glad we weren't able to squeak past the Kings. Clearly there's deeper problems on this team that need to be adressed. This team was too good to struggle against a team like the Kings. If they couldn't beat them, they definitely weren't gonna beat the Preds or Blues, who have better goaltending and more offence.

Our regular season is good enough, I say we should sacrifice our 4th line for our rookie players and develop them in the NHL level like Philly, Oilers, etc. Experience in the NHL is better than the AHL to me. If they are a bust, they are a bust. Having Schroeder, Jensen, Kassian line or something and developing them wouldn't cost the Canucks much in the regular season. Like someone else said in this thread, the young skilled players may motivate the veterans to play better. Having a mix might not be such a bad idea.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A GM can only control what happens in the regular season. Once the playoffs start, there's almost nothing he can do. Gillis set this team up with two Presidents Trophy winners, and the division lead in 4 of last 5 years...so the best he could do. AV has to take this team and make sure he chooses the right parts and gameplan to win it all. However in 5+ years he had no counter for a defensive minded team. That's pretty much sums it up. He's gotten out-coached in the playoffs every season he's been here.

People can have the whole 'hindsight is 20/20' shtick after the Booth and Hodgson trades, but Booth everyone loved because he was a top 6 forward for 2 aging players, and Pahlson/Kassian seemed to be what this team needed more than Hodgson going into the playoffs. Heck, this LA series was the exact type of series Gillis had built this team for (low scoring), but AV just couldn't get his team ready. And he decided to give Raymond a billion chances to improve his play.

Archived